Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:31 pm

@wildbilly - $1500 for a scalped crappy race day seat? $5,000 for 3-day paddock passes? Yeah I'll fly to a real race circuit thanks much.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:07 am

It was nice to see Max fuck up during qualifying. I'm not a Verstappen fan.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:45 am

It's a shame he'd rather play iRacing than make love to Kelly Piquet because if it were the other way around he'd mess up more...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:23 am

So am I just getting really old or what?(don't answer that question...)

I seem to be the only person around here who drives the speed limit in town. I'm not talking just five over I mean significant speeding 10-20 over in a 35 mph zone! I even brake checked an idiot who came flying up behind me while I was driving the Honda yesterday. The brakes on the Honda are excellent and the guy backed the F off rather quickly. Also yesterday a pick-em-up truck went flying by me on a four lane street going at least 10+ over. Then he accelerated up to an estimated 20-25 over the posted 35 mph.

I get that people are in a hurry these days and it's all about them but...these examples are bullshit. How do you stop when going 45-55 mph in a 30-35 zone when grandma pulls out in front of you thinking you were going a reasonable speed?

That's right...you won't be able to stop in time.

People suck.

...and get off my lawn!
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:22 pm

*I live in a metro area so it's a little different.

These days Billy I don't so much as look at the speed limit as I just try to keep reasonable gaps to the cars around me. This is so I don't get shot or run off the road. Yesterday I saw a fist fight break out because of an avoidable collision that happened during F1 construction traffic. I was concerned someone was gonna pull a gun because I couldn't move.

People are losing their minds, man. Be careful with the brake checking - I just say that as a friend - because people are freaking nuts. Someone could take that as grounds to escalate.

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:53 pm

In heavier traffic (urban areas and busy freeways) going the speed of nearby vehicles is the safest option IMHO. Speed differential--not absolute speed--seems to be the root cause of many accidents. The resulting damage is where absolute speed plays the leading role.

When I'm out on a spirited drive with little/no traffic, I always adhere to speed limits in towns and in built-up rural areas (e.g. where there are clusters of mailboxes) out of respect for residents and to avoid an impromptu chat with Officer Friendly. In other words, I drive in those areas as I'd like folks to drive out in the rural areas where my place is.

With all due respect, trying to play "parent" to speeders by driving slow in the fast lane, brake-checking them, etc. is not only unsafe from an accident perspective, but also -- as Doc says -- from a road-rage perspective too. It's simply not worth creating an otherwise avoidable incident.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:57 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:22 pm *I live in a metro area so it's a little different.

These days Billy I don't so much as look at the speed limit as I just try to keep reasonable gaps to the cars around me. This is so I don't get shot or run off the road. Yesterday I saw a fist fight break out because of an avoidable collision that happened during F1 construction traffic. I was concerned someone was gonna pull a gun because I couldn't move.

People are losing their minds, man. Be careful with the brake checking - I just say that as a friend - because people are freaking nuts. Someone could take that as grounds to escalate.
Yeah I understand. That was the first time I have brake checked someone in probably 40 years. He was coming like jack the bear and I lit up my brake lights to verify that he saw me plus just a little "whoa" thrown in for good measure. After that he drove like he had a brain.

A lot of people are past the nuts stage...way past.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:03 pm

02TX996Cab wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:53 pm In heavier traffic (urban areas and busy freeways) going the speed of nearby vehicles is the safest option IMHO. Speed differential--not absolute speed--seems to be the root cause of many accidents. The resulting damage is where absolute speed plays the leading role.

When I'm out on a spirited drive with little/no traffic, I always adhere to speed limits in towns and in built-up rural areas (e.g. where there are clusters of mailboxes) out of respect for residents and to avoid an impromptu chat with Officer Friendly. In other words, I drive in those areas as I'd like folks to drive out in the rural areas where my place is.

With all due respect, trying to play "parent" to speeders by driving slow in the fast lane, brake-checking them, etc. is not only unsafe from an accident perspective, but also -- as Doc says -- from a road-rage perspective too. It's simply not worth creating an otherwise avoidable incident.
Please explain to my wife about running with traffic on an interstate. Speed limits in NE is 75 on the interstates. If I go 75 she pitches a bitch because she is honestly nerve wracked. She asks me to run 70 mph which I do. I'm just glad she doesn't have a rear view mirror. If she thinks she's nervous at 75 she would flip the F out if she saw what went on behind us while doing 70!!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:18 pm

Here's something that just traveled through my brain. I never see stupid fast speeders around me when I'm driving the Volvo SUV. Only when driving one of my toy cars.

I wonder why everyone wants to play Quien es mas macho at those times....hhhmmm...I wonder

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:05 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:03 pm Please explain to my wife about running with traffic on an interstate. Speed limits in NE is 75 on the interstates. If I go 75 she pitches a bitch because she is honestly nerve wracked. She asks me to run 70 mph which I do. I'm just glad she doesn't have a rear view mirror. If she thinks she's nervous at 75 she would flip the F out if she saw what went on behind us while doing 70!!
The explanation is pretty simple -- accidents are much more likely to happen when drivers have to DO something -- speed up/merge, slow down/exit, change lanes, and so forth. Those driving maneuvers are minimized if one "goes with the flow", for both you and those encountering you.

If that doesn't convince her, or if she's simply uncomfortable with speed in general, consider a) staying off the interstates, b) having her wear a VR headset playing a calming pastoral scene or c) tranquilizers (for her, not you).
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!