Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by B3DAWG » Tue May 08, 2018 4:56 pm

You can't forget the ultra rare silver horn crest. Rare as Sasquatch and as valuable as the hope diamond. :lol:

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue May 08, 2018 6:20 pm

gnat wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:37 am
gnat wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:23 am That reminds me, I need to get the P!g in for a vibration over ~80...
Indy: Dude. Change your fucking tires.

Whoops :oops:
It's trips like this that give Porsche ownership a bad name. Take P!g in for a simple oil change. Two days and $1400 later I get it back with new tires, an alignment, and state inspection to boot :?

Oh well, the bright side is that those fucking POS "eco" tires are gone. Worst 23k miles in my life :x

I used to think run flats were the worst joke foisted on the automotive community. I may have found a contender!

Seriously. First 2.5 years with the factory tires it rocked through anything I drove it through, even after I tore them to hell by running it through an AutoX early in it's life.

Those fucking "eco" things couldn't hold a corner to save my life and made a high (comparatively) ground clearance AWD SUV with "all weather" tires and "off road" setting perform worse in snow than a C4 with summer tires. Seriously! WTF is with that?!?!? :evil:

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue May 08, 2018 7:02 pm

WTF is an "eco' tire? Were they made out of wood?
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue May 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Low rolling resistance or some shit that is supposed to give you better MPG.

They were installed by mistake, but I let them stay on which was my mistake :(

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed May 09, 2018 5:43 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:02 pm WTF is an "eco' tire? Were they made out of wood?
In my non-expert opinion, it boils down to a rubber chemistry that is less about grip characteristics but more about minimal road friction/resistance (as Gnat pointed out) which translates IMHO into a low performance tire. We hear all the time about expensive "sticky" track tires. Those tires are great performers on the track, but would probably work against the mpg which is non-factor for racing addicts like DTMiller and Cuda911. :D

When I see the "eco" printed really big on the side of new tires, makes me wonder if this is a political ploy by the manufacturer to pacify the tree-huger crowd. I'm all for taking care of the planet, but I think there are better ways to improve gas mileage on a car and lower overall consumption in the world.

Like... sitting on your ass in your mama's basement roaming the internet while drawing a government check. :lol:

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 09, 2018 8:54 am

b3freak wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:43 amLike... sitting on your ass in your mama's basement roaming the internet while drawing a government check. :lol:
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2354 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am

Wife's been bitching for a couple of years now wanting a Le Vian chocolate diamond ring. The mom-and-pop jewelry store that I occasionally use tells me that Le Vian "chocolate diamonds" are the biggest ripoff in the jewelry industry and he won't carry them. But, he tells me that if she absolutely has to have an industrial drill bit grade diamond ring, for God's sake don't buy the ridiculously overpriced Le Vian brand - just get generic (who cares about a jewelry brand anyway?). OK, so I get her a beautiful, non-Le Vian, brown diamond ring last year. She makes me return it because she doesn't like it. Fast forward to about a week ago - this time I get her the exact Le Vian ring she wants. $4,000 ring, but I shopped hard and got it for $2,000. She's happy. I had the 951 in the shop in April for TB/WP (which my sons still drive and was nearly 4 years overdue for a TB/WP). She sees the repair bill yesterday, which is for $2,100. Now she's pissed off again because I spent more on the car than I spent on her ring. WTF?!?!
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed May 09, 2018 9:34 am

b3freak wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:43 am
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:02 pm WTF is an "eco' tire? Were they made out of wood?
In my non-expert opinion, it boils down to a rubber chemistry that is less about grip characteristics but more about minimal road friction/resistance (as Gnat pointed out) which translates IMHO into a low performance tire. We hear all the time about expensive "sticky" track tires. Those tires are great performers on the track, but would probably work against the mpg which is non-factor for racing addicts like DTMiller and Cuda911. :D

When I see the "eco" printed really big on the side of new tires, makes me wonder if this is a political ploy by the manufacturer to pacify the tree-huger crowd. I'm all for taking care of the planet, but I think there are better ways to improve gas mileage on a car and lower overall consumption in the world.

Like... sitting on your ass in your mama's basement roaming the internet while drawing a government check. :lol:
Based on my experience, it is meant to be more than a simply marketing ploy. While they are still plenty safe for "normal" driving, they are borderline dangerous in extreme situations. The decreased rolling resistance (aka friction) is real.

Things I noticed over 23k miles with them:
1) My driving pattern changed about the same time I switched tires, so I can't blame them for the worse MPG I've been getting. They don't appear to have helped at all though.

2) The single good MPG model I have is trips from home to Brunswick, GA (~700 miles). 2 trips with the factory tires gave me 31 and 32 MPG averages. 1 trip with the eco POSes (near the end of their life) was 30 MPG. The minimal variance can be explained in many ways, but it certainly isn't an improvement.

3) Exit ramps had to be taken significantly slower (like near the posted speeds) to maintain traction.

4) Even brand new they were worthless in the snow (seriously, aged summer perforance tires were better!).

5) Stopping distance was less sure even with fresh brakes. No measurements done, but it felt like at least a couple extra feet in a hard stop.

6) Rain and less than ideal road conditions (excessive sand, etc..) were no friends either.

I won't say they are an outright scam, but they definitely offer no benefit (and a lot of detriments) with my driving characteristics.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am

kcattorney wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am Wife's been bitching for a couple of years now wanting a Le Vian chocolate diamond ring.
Could be worse. She could want one of these: https://www.hasselblad.com/h6d-multishot/

Even the used older versions still fall into the "if you have to ask" category and are worth more than this forum's namesake :o

Cuda911
Possum Hauler

Post by Cuda911 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:47 am

kcattorney wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am Wife's been bitching for a couple of years now wanting a Le Vian chocolate diamond ring. The mom-and-pop jewelry store that I occasionally use tells me that Le Vian "chocolate diamonds" are the biggest ripoff in the jewelry industry and he won't carry them. But, he tells me that if she absolutely has to have an industrial drill bit grade diamond ring, for God's sake don't buy the ridiculously overpriced Le Vian brand - just get generic (who cares about a jewelry brand anyway?). OK, so I get her a beautiful, non-Le Vian, brown diamond ring last year. She makes me return it because she doesn't like it. Fast forward to about a week ago - this time I get her the exact Le Vian ring she wants. $4,000 ring, but I shopped hard and got it for $2,000. She's happy. I had the 951 in the shop in April for TB/WP (which my sons still drive and was nearly 4 years overdue for a TB/WP). She sees the repair bill yesterday, which is for $2,100. Now she's pissed off again because I spent more on the car than I spent on her ring. WTF?!?!
What, did you hook up with my ex? Anyway, there is an obvious and grave error you made. Gotta keep those vehicle-related bills hidden like they were Schnelly's browser history.
Mike

'68 Ford Custom 500; '70 Plymouth Cuda; '71 Ford Econoline; 73 Porsche 914 1.7, '74 Porsche 914 1.8; '74 Suzuki TC185; '86 Suzuki GS450L; '88 Subaru GL104WD Turbo Ltd Edn;; '88 Subaru XT; '91 Lexus ES250; '93 Jeep Wrangler, '99 Porsche Boxster, '03 Turbo VW Beetle; '03 Porsche Boxster; '03 Porsche Carrera C2; '07 Porsche Cayman, '11 BMW 328i, '12 Porsche 991 S, '14 Porsche Cayman, & a mishmash of other vehicles.