Don't Feel Bad About Checking Parts Prices

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Don't Feel Bad About Checking Parts Prices

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:09 pm

Sometimes I buy parts over the counter at our local Porsche dealership, Porsche Kansas City. They are nice people. They invite me to product launches and events where I eat and drink for free. So, when I need to spend money there from time to time (have a key made or buy a part I need in a hurry), I'm OK with it. Although I'm cheap, normally I don't bother pricing out a small part - if it's a few bucks more than I can buy it online, no big deal. So, I don't pester them to check price when I call to see if they have a part in stock. Plus, they give me a PCA discount, so I figure the difference is chicken feed.

Today, I stopped by to pick up an oil filter (paper insert), a rubber O-ring for the filter housing (normally included with the filter), a crush washer and a new drain plug (just in case the old one is buggered up). You can get an oil filter at Advance Auto for like $7, and the other stuff is just petty hardware (I can re-use the O-ring and drain plug). I figured even with Porsche pricing, it would be about $30 to $35 out the door with my PCA discount. It was $67.71. OK, it's under $70, so I'll survive the financial hit, but really it's the principle.

When I got back to my office, just for the hell of it, I priced the exact same part numbers on Gaudin Porsche's online parts site. Gaudin was $32.04 versus $61.85 for just the parts. Both are franchise Porsche dealers. Gaudin gives you about a 35% discount off retail, versus my PCA discount of about 16% at Porsche KC. But when I compare the retail prices (before discounts), Porsche KC's prices are nearly double Gaudin's price. Shouldn't the retail price be the same? By the time I pay shipping and tax to Gaudin, it's about $44, so only $23 or so to have the parts in hand instead of ordering. But, the point is that shouldn't you be able to just go buy something and not have to worry about getting charged twice the price?

It's like they're training me to be "that guy" who always has a vise grip on his wallet. Hey, how about once in a while you just let me park in the parking lot, walk through the new car showroom and inhale the new Porsche smell, then hand my credit card over to the girl at the parts counter without stressing about them charging me double what another Porsche dealer charges? Is that too freaking much to ask?

Receipt for oil filter, o ring, crush washer & new plug, 2023-9-18.jpg
Guadin parts price oil change.JPG
Guadin parts price oil change.JPG (80.88 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Don't Feel Bad About Checking Parts Prices

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:55 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:09 pm Sometimes I buy parts over the counter at our local Porsche dealership, Porsche Kansas City. They are nice people. They invite me to product launches and events where I eat and drink for free. So, when I need to spend money there from time to time (have a key made or buy a part I need in a hurry), I'm OK with it. Although I'm cheap, normally I don't bother pricing out a small part - if it's a few bucks more than I can buy it online, no big deal. So, I don't pester them to check price when I call to see if they have a part in stock. Plus, they give me a PCA discount, so I figure the difference is chicken feed.

Today, I stopped by to pick up an oil filter (paper insert), a rubber O-ring for the filter housing (normally included with the filter), a crush washer and a new drain plug (just in case the old one is buggered up). You can get an oil filter at Advance Auto for like $7, and the other stuff is just petty hardware (I can re-use the O-ring and drain plug). I figured even with Porsche pricing, it would be about $30 to $35 out the door with my PCA discount. It was $67.71. OK, it's under $70, so I'll survive the financial hit, but really it's the principle.

When I got back to my office, just for the hell of it, I priced the exact same part numbers on Gaudin Porsche's online parts site. Gaudin was $32.04 versus $61.85 for just the parts. Both are franchise Porsche dealers. Gaudin gives you about a 35% discount off retail, versus my PCA discount of about 16% at Porsche KC. But when I compare the retail prices (before discounts), Porsche KC's prices are nearly double Gaudin's price. Shouldn't the retail price be the same? By the time I pay shipping and tax to Gaudin, it's about $44, so only $23 or so to have the parts in hand instead of ordering. But, the point is that shouldn't you be able to just go buy something and not have to worry about getting charged twice the price?

It's like they're training me to be "that guy" who always has a vise grip on his wallet. Hey, how about once in a while you just let me park in the parking lot, walk through the new car showroom and inhale the new Porsche smell, then hand my credit card over to the girl at the parts counter without stressing about them charging me double what another Porsche dealer charges? Is that too freaking much to ask?

Receipt for oil filter, o ring, crush washer & new plug, 2023-9-18.jpg

Guadin parts price oil change.JPG
The only dealings I've had directly with Porsche NA had to do with dealers was an inquiry concerning them not programing a key unless purchased directly from their parts department. Not just a Porsche parts department but directly from the dealership where the programming was to be done. The response (in essence) was "The dealers can do whatever they want." Perhaps that applies to parts pricing as well.

Wait...maybe you are getting the "special" Turbro's pricing!
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:44 pm

Imagine being able to drive to Gaudin Parts counter 8-)

OK to contribute to the thread - same parts on FCP Euro (Before tax and shipping:)

The filter is a "kit" that comes with an o-ring.
Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 4.43.30 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 4.43.30 PM.png (150.91 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:14 pm

They're called "stealerships" for a reason...and not a flattering one.

AutohausAZ, FCP Euro and Amazon are my go-to sites to check prices. Suncoast Porsche and (old data coming) Porsche Marin are two dealerships I've used who had competitive on-line pricing. I'll add Gaudin to that list. These days the closest dealer is a 1-1/2 hour drive each way from my place, so on-line ordering rules the day for me.

True story, several years ago I needed a couple of center caps for the 996 and Porsche Marin's on-line prices were much lower than their parts counter price. When I asked at their counter (I lived 2 miles away from it at that time) if they'd match their on-line price, it was no problem whatsoever. Perhaps you could try using another Porsche dealership's on-line prices to shame KC Porsche into matching their competitors' prices--always worth a try.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

JayG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by JayG » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:47 am

Ive been buying form Gaudin for years. They typically have the lowest $$ for genuine Porsche parts anywhere. Yea, if a a small order for low cost parts, the shipping cost can eat into the savings

FCP does have one really good perk. Unless it has changed, everything comes with lifetime warranty and free replacement. It even applies to wear items like brakes and even oil!
YMMV
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY (sold)
2004 996 Targa Tip
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"