My 2002 996 "renovation" thread

wyovino
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: CDR-220 finds a home

Post by wyovino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm

b3freak wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:20 am Well, finally! Relocated all the cut OEM stereo cables and soldered them back together in the dash and amp area. As you can see from the pictures, Schnelly's CDR-220 slid perfectly back into center dash for the first time in a long time. yay! Everything plugged back up as it was supposed to from the factory. I checked the signals with a meter and now all that is left is installing HAES Harmann frunk amp. Stay tuned!!!

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg
If you want to add hands-free phone and bluetooth audio there are some cheaper ways, but this is what I use and it works brilliantly. About $130 all-in. Everything is hidden except one very small button and the microphone.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLU-BKR235.html (i-simple Tranzit blu plug & play for the CDR-220, just plug into the CD changer port and you're done)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0193 ... UTF8&psc=1 (Ground Loop isolator to eliminate potential alternator whine)

B3DAWG

Re: CDR-220 finds a home

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 am

wyovino wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:08 pm
b3freak wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:20 am Well, finally! Relocated all the cut OEM stereo cables and soldered them back together in the dash and amp area. As you can see from the pictures, Schnelly's CDR-220 slid perfectly back into center dash for the first time in a long time. yay! Everything plugged back up as it was supposed to from the factory. I checked the signals with a meter and now all that is left is installing HAES Harmann frunk amp. Stay tuned!!!

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg
If you want to add hands-free phone and bluetooth audio there are some cheaper ways, but this is what I use and it works brilliantly. About $130 all-in. Everything is hidden except one very small button and the microphone.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLU-BKR235.html (i-simple Tranzit blu plug & play for the CDR-220, just plug into the CD changer port and you're done)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0193 ... UTF8&psc=1 (Ground Loop isolator to eliminate potential alternator whine)
Wow... saaaaweet man! Not a bad price either. Does the phone support work ok? Do you have to switch over the AUX input on the CDR-220 to handle phone calls or how does that work on the i-simple Tranzit unit?

Thank you so much!!!

wyovino

Re: My 2002 996 "renovation" thread

Post by wyovino » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 am

tranzitBluButton.jpg
tranzitBluButton.jpg (80.95 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
The attachment tranzitBluButton.jpg is no longer available
The radio needs to be on Aux to use the phone or to play music. Once you sync your phone the first time it connects automatically every time, so if you get a call while you're listening to the radio, you can just switch to Aux and it will already be connected. I've made calls in my cab with the top down, doing about 30 mph and the quality was still good on both ends.

Press the button to advance the song. Press and hold 2 seconds to bring up Siri if you have an iPhone.

B3DAWG

Re: Update March 25, 2018

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:02 am

Well, been putting this off for a while. What seems like a super easy thing to do, turned into a royal PITA. Decided to repaint the seat adjustment covers. Now, on "normal cars", this would be a simple thing of removing the knobs and popping off the panel, painting, and reattaching, but NOOooOOoOOo... Not with Porsche! They design everything to be overly complicated and almost impossible to service. But that's no surprise to you, right? We're not talking a cracked block or IMS replacement here for goodness sakes, just a simple plastic plate! But Porsche chose to design their seat electronics to install easily ONCE... and that's at the factory, not after the fact. Removing the knobs and the two screws and pulling the plate off is simple, but the electronics are attached to the plate with virtually NO slack in the cables... therefore, realigning the knobs and reattaching the plate is super frustrating. Something simple like attaching the knobs became a 1 hr. job. Porsche (or whoever engineered this thing) put little springs in the knobs that have to be perfectly aligned or the knob WON'T work. Also, those darn springs tend to pop off and launch themselves within a radius of 100 yards around the car.... finding them is about as difficult as trying to locate Jimmy Hoffa's body. Where is Geraldo when I need him?!!! Anyway, long story short, I removed the plates, sanded them down, and repainted them flat black. I didn't want to repaint them graphic grey, because frankly, I like the interior look of the Mk1 996 cars before Porsche thought it was a good idea to paint everything the same color.

As you can see from the image, the rubberized graphite grey paint is scratched off. You'd think that Porsche would have learned from their mistakes, but the gummed up paint problem trickled over onto the 997 unfortunately. Look up 997 radio knob problem and you'll get plenty to read.
IMG_1442.jpg
The plates after sanding...
IMG_1447.jpg
Here's a shot before I started to cuss like a sailor. For some reason, the driver side was a little easier because it didn't have the amount of wires soldered to the board, but the passenger side was where the problems began. Didn't have enough length to get my hand around the back to snap the circuit board back onto the plate. It's kept popping off when I tried to reattach the knobs.
IMG_1444.jpg
Finally, got the repainted plates installed and seat checked out.

*word to the wise, to avoid shorting these board out, remove both seat fuses. I can't imagine what Porsche charges for both of this units.
Attachments
IMG_1462.jpg
Last edited by B3DAWG on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 am

Very nice touch leaving the massive amounts of sweat droplets on the side sill in pic #3! We get it...you were working hard. :lol:
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Re: Rusty Wing

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:41 am

Well, after closely examining this car as I clean it up and repair a lot of the cosmetic damage, I've come to the conclusion that this car was NOT a garage queen in spite of it's low miles. It apparently spent much time outside judging from the front headlight oxidation (which was professionally buffed), stopped up vents (lots of leaves, dirt, etc.), and now, I've noticed the rear spoiler squeaks and the hinges looked rusted and so I began the process of removing the spoiler assembly. (see pics) After removal, the baffle was filled with leaves and dirt. And yea, the hinges were rusted and so I removed them for lubrication. I'm sure I could have easily sprayed some lubricate on the hinges without removal of the rear spoiler, but I wanted to clean it out and so the fun began...

After the top grille was removed, you can see the water has rusted the top hinge. Even getting the top grille off was a chore. The bolts had rusted severely.
IMG_1451.jpg
This picture was taken after I vacuumed all the crap off.
IMG_1450.jpg
Wasn't planning on doing this, but since I went through the trouble of removing the whole thing, I decided to respray a base and clear coat. One of the previous owners must have had the top grille repainted, but apparently, the paint shop didn't bother to remove it and white primer coated the deck. I don't have a picture, but once I cleaned off the dirt layer, it revealed a nice layer of white.
IMG_1455.jpg
IMG_1458.jpg
The spoiler washed and ready for remounted the center brake light and top grille.
IMG_1466.jpg
All finished...
IMG_1467.jpg
Last edited by B3DAWG on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 am

You do nice work! BTW are you going to leave the spoiler up racer-boy/turbro style? :roll:
Never gonna make you cry...

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:35 am

Wow that is coming along nicely!
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:45 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 am Very nice touch leaving the massive amounts of sweat droplets on the side sill in pic #3! We get it...you were working hard. :lol:
hahaha! I wouldn't have been surprised if that was sweat. Was originally working on the car outside and then it started raining on me. Had to move her back inside. She likes the outside, but her body doesn't judging from some of the rust issues on the spoiler's hinges. I'm just glad the two spoiler motors weren't damaged exposure to all the weather.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:46 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 am You do nice work! BTW are you going to leave the spoiler up racer-boy/turbro style? :roll:
Now there's a thought! ha! I could pull off full throttle ricer-poser-turbro mode and leave it up ALL the time! Thanks Billy! :lol: