AOS replacement

Dgi 07
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

AOS replacement

Post by Dgi 07 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:57 am

So, in a series of funny events today, I found my car stumbled heavy on the verge of stalling out after pulling the oil cap. All signs point to AOS.

How much of a pain is this job? My shop (where I work and keep all my tools) is closed, so this is going to be a driveway repair.
Also, I remember there were a rash of bad ones fresh out the box on the other forum, any signs to that calming down?
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: AOS replacement

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 13, 2020 12:36 pm

I copped out on the AOS and had my indy do it with the last clutch job.

Pelican says it should take about 3 hours...
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... arator.htm

I haven't seen any threads on how to test a new AOS prior to installing; everything I've seen about testing involves measuring vacuum once it's installed.

I've been watching this thread occasionally as well...for when my current AOS buys the farm.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1 ... ution.html

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Dgi 07 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:57 am So, in a series of funny events today, I found my car stumbled heavy on the verge of stalling out after pulling the oil cap. All signs point to AOS.

How much of a pain is this job? My shop (where I work and keep all my tools) is closed, so this is going to be a driveway repair.
Also, I remember there were a rash of bad ones fresh out the box on the other forum, any signs to that calming down?
Did you test it to make sure it's out of range?
Never gonna make you cry...

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 pm
Dgi 07 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:57 am So, in a series of funny events today, I found my car stumbled heavy on the verge of stalling out after pulling the oil cap. All signs point to AOS.

Did you test it to make sure it's out of range?
Nope. Shop full of tools, and of course, nope of the testing stuff at home.

I don't mind throwing a part at my own cars, as long as I'm not doing it again in a month!!!
Last edited by Dgi 07 on Wed May 13, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:36 pm I copped out on the AOS and had my indy do it with the last clutch job.

Pelican says it should take about 3 hours...
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... arator.htm

I haven't seen any threads on how to test a new AOS prior to installing; everything I've seen about testing involves measuring vacuum once it's installed.

I've been watching this thread occasionally as well...for when my current AOS buys the farm.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1 ... ution.html
This looks interesting.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed May 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Seems like Porsche really could designed a better location for the AOS. Flat 6 changed mine out with the tranny removed, but the tech said it was still a PITA job. I changed out my air oil separator on my Volvo (yes, they have them) and it was a simple job. Volvo learned to make it very accessible. But of course, it's NO Porsche 911. Bad example, I know. haha