Apple chargers suck

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Apple chargers suck

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:56 am

Ok so after a few years the cable sheath just upstream from the strain relief on the magsafe plug of the charger started splitting so I figured I would order a new charger because Apple decided it was a good idea for them to not have this cord be replaceable. Ordered an Apple brand charge and paid out the azz. While I can't find my ordering info it has been maybe two to three years ago. Recently I have noticed when I plug in the charger the indicator light doesn't always switch from green(charged) to orange(charging) as it should. I confirmed that the laptop was not charging. If I unplugged and replugged it would typically function properly. Lately it might take a couple of times for things to work. Last night we lost power in a wind storm so I didn't plug in the computer. This morning regardless of how many times I plugged and unplugged it would not work. So dragged out the old charger with the tattered plug wiring and it worked like a charm.

Here's the question: would you stick with the Apple charger for a replacement or buy one of the off brand chargers for the same application?

The Apple shit is expensive and doesn't seem to have a good build quality.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Apple chargers suck

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:15 am

Don't know specifically about laptop chargers, but far too many stories out there of off brand iPhone and iPad chargers doing bad things for me to cheap out for a multi-thousand dollar device that I would prefer to not go boom.

But yes those cables seriously suck ass. Their lightening cables for the phone/pad are just as terrible.

Which one of these do you have? I know I have at least one or the other (if not both) running around in an un-frayed state. If I have a match you can have it for the cost of having less useless shit running around my house...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:19 am

Screw it. I've got a 1 to 2 adapter you can have so it will work either way. I'll get it in the mail to you in the next day or so.
16025266750219215754759241917392.jpg

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:21 pm

I have one of those as well...I leave it up in Big Bear with a really old Magsafe adapter so Mrs. S. and I are covered if we forget one.

Handy, but stupid.

If you don't find a Magsafe Billy can use, let me know. I'm sure I have a few at the office.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm

If it makes you feel any better, Billy - if I was in your situation, I'd do this (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Po ... ent/21842 ) first, and then I'd STILL wind up having to find/buy another one.

After the fire.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:28 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm If it makes you feel any better, Billy - if I was in your situation, I'd do this (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Po ... ent/21842 ) first, and then I'd STILL wind up having to find/buy another one.

After the fire.
#whatcouldpossiblygowrong

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:37 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:19 am Screw it. I've got a 1 to 2 adapter you can have so it will work either way. I'll get it in the mail to you in the next day or so.
16025266750219215754759241917392.jpg
I appreciate the offer but I bit the bullet and bought a new charger direct from Apple. Should be here Weds.

Thanks anyway. I was just pissed at Apple's piss poor quality.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:53 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:23 pm If it makes you feel any better, Billy - if I was in your situation, I'd do this (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Po ... ent/21842 ) first, and then I'd STILL wind up having to find/buy another one.

After the fire.
Yeah back in the day I was an electrician and have done plenty of repairs involving soldering connections but would never try that as it looks stupid when you can get a replacement for under $100. I like the instructions starting with "a decent soldering iron" and "be careful of the capacitor..." and "how to bust open the case" Jesus! If you don't have a grasp of this knowledge don't try this shit at home. I am surprised the list of tools didn't include a fire extinguisher for initial testing.

Now I understand the recently voiced frustrations with ifixit.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:48 pm

While I won't argue that some of the content can be a bit...cavalier...that stuff comes in handy sometimes. I gutted an AirPort Express to run on 12v in my Boxster (don't ask).

I spent too many years trying to get "carputing" to work...should have just waited for phones to evolve. Embarrassingly, I rolled with THIS in my supercharged Tiburon for a year or two:

DSC01421 (1).JPG
DSC01421 (1).JPG (441.55 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:50 pm

In this same car, I had an Apexi Neo fuel tuner installed in the overhead console (where you'd normally stash your sunglasses), but I apparently failed to take a photo of this fast, furious moment in history.