Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 am

gnat wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:00 am Still no idea what it is, but nifty none the less.

I have a feeling Schnell knows what it is.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 am
gnat wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:00 am Still no idea what it is, but nifty none the less.
I have a feeling Schnell knows what it is.
If Herr 5chn3ll does know and shares the name here do NOT goggle it!
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:19 am

Local story about a 3D printer guy.
Lincoln man 3D prints masks, face shields for medical workers
5e82758072e67.image.jpg
5e82758072e67.image.jpg (53.84 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 am

Yeah there is a lot of that going on, but not without controversy.

It appears to have started in Italy where a hospital couldn't get valve replacements for their ventilators. A local maker brought his printer in, modeled up a replacement, and ran some off. They tried reaching out to the manufacturer to get the blue prints to make the modeling process easier, but not only did they refuse to help they also ended up filing a lawsuit :roll:

From there people started printing face masks and face shields. The shields are generally without significant controversy, but the masks are another story. The big issues are sealing around the face and effectiveness of the filter. In both items there is also concern about cleanliness for FDM style prints as they by definition have lots of nooks and crannies that make it hard to clean (this is why even though most of the plastic filaments are food safe, you still aren't supposed to use printed items with food).

Most people don't print flexible materials and fewer still can print both flex and normal at the same time. What this means is that the majority of these masks are being printed with a stiff material like PLA or PETG. The result is that it can not contour to your specific face and it will either leave gaps (especially around the nose) or you have to put it on tight enough that it will be uncomfortable (which will make you fiddle with it and risk bringing germs to your face).

Similarly the limited use of flexible material means that the mechanism holding the filter in place isn't likely to be as secure as desired. This of course can leave pathways for germs to bypass the filter. There is also concern about the small surface area in some examples (the one pictured is a good example) in regards to if it is allowing enough air to flow so you won't build up CO2 inside the mask (assuming it does indeed have a good seal on the filter and your face).

I applaud that these people want to help, but in the case of the masks I think it's much better to know for certain you are not protected and take proper precautions rather than incorrectly believe you are protected and unknowingly expose yourself.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:43 am

Looks like that mask is "N" rated, so I suppose Johnny Irish could wear it while he drives . . .
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:53 pm

I lined the edge of the one I printed with closed-cell foam (essentially soft weather stripping). It's not ideal, but I had two extra filters that came with my half-face welding respirator and I wanted to see if I could adapt the "Montana mask" to work with the 3M puck filter.

Some people hoard toilet paper; other people print sketchy respirators...we're all just looking for a way to exert control on the uncontrollable.

gnat wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:48 am Yeah there is a lot of that going on, but not without controversy.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:56 pm

NIH has a list of approved printable PPE including designs (if printed with the designated material) is approved for clinical use: https://3dprint.nih.gov/collections/covid-19-response

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:57 pm

For those with an itch to make something, this article on Makezine might be useful...

https://makezine.com/2020/03/27/make-th ... right-now/

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:00 pm

I've seen the model for the face shield - I didn't realize they were being used with overhead transparency film. Might see if my next-door neighbor (a nurse for UCSD Medical Center) needs one. My wife busted out a couple of cloth mask covers for her earlier this week - they started rationing PPE.
gnat wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:56 pm NIH has a list of approved printable PPE including designs (if printed with the designated material) is approved for clinical use: https://3dprint.nih.gov/collections/covid-19-response

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:05 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:00 pm I've seen the model for the face shield - I didn't realize they were being used with overhead transparency film. Might see if my next-door neighbor (a nurse for UCSD Medical Center) needs one. My wife busted out a couple of cloth mask covers for her earlier this week - they started rationing PPE.
gnat wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:56 pm NIH has a list of approved printable PPE including designs (if printed with the designated material) is approved for clinical use: https://3dprint.nih.gov/collections/covid-19-response
Hopefully you have better luck than I. An ER nurse lives next door and I asked her about printing some shield frames. She checked and the hospital doesn't want them except in lots of 100 at a time. She said that will drop when the peak starts coming, but it seems rather stupid to turn such away now rather than stock pile it and hope you don't need them later...