Anyone know much about 3d printers?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:56 pm

If you can't make 100 of them, don't bother?

Dick move.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:30 pm

I printed up a pair of these filament spool inserts. The bearings are from a fidget spinner I swiped from my nephew a couple of years ago...

This is MUCH better than my previous spool holder lash-up.

20200415_142423.jpg

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat May 16, 2020 7:30 am

Assume you 3d printer guys are aware of this product. Seems everyone on ETSY with a 3d printer is making and selling. Calling them ear guards. Instead of looping the elastic/rubber bands behind your ears you place the bands on this behind your neck. Got mine yesterday and they are still in quarantine. Will let you know if they work.
IMG_0979.JPG
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 20, 2020 1:02 pm

I've printed a passel of those - our next-door neighbor is a nurse; we hooked her up early on. Mrs. S. likes to use them as well when she [does something I don't really understand with her hair].

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Say what again. I dare you!
img_20200723_175339.jpg
Sadly the craptastic Hatchbox filament for Vincent's skin came out looking like he had been reanimated after Butch killed him, so I ended up painting over the plastic for his skin.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:51 pm

gnat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:26 pm Say what again. I dare you!
img_20200723_175339.jpg

Sadly the craptastic Hatchbox filament for Vincent's skin came out looking like he had been reanimated after Butch killed him, so I ended up painting over the plastic for his skin.
Now THAT is cool!
“It’s the little differences. I mean they got the same shit over there that they got here, but it’s just — it’s just there it’s a little different.”

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:11 am

gnat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:26 pm Say what again. I dare you!

Could you use something like a Dremel Stylo and a buffing pad to sand the ridges down? I've recently started paying attention to 3D printers because one of my animators bought one and has been showing me the things he makes. He does a lot of sanding with pastes and stuff.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/- ... craft-tool
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:30 am

You could certainly do that. Keep in mind, however, that these guys are only about 3" tall. At arms length the layers are far less obvious. This was also a 0.15mm layer print (more perspective about how big those lines are) and could be reduced further (for a MUCH longer print time (Jules was 18 hours and Vincent (due to trying to salvage that shitty filament) was 23).

Most people would indeed sand and paint (or at least paint) these guys, but my printer has a feature that allows you to use up to 5 different filaments in the same print. That adds a lot of extra time and wasted plastic to the print however. Without doing these as an MMU print I could have reduced the layer height to 0.05mm and still finished both in about the same amount of time it took to print Jules.

Two things about sanding though. The first is that you don't want to breath the dust and the second is that you need to control the heat. Both are done by wet sanding which kinda precludes using a power tool ;)

Now if you want super detailed prints (most go down to at least 0.025mm layers) there is SLA/MSLA/DLP printing. It's faster and more detailed, but uses resins that are toxic (noxious fumes and chemical burns on skin contact) and a mess to deal with. The consumables also tend to be more expensive. This is the tech that people use to print miniatures for table top gaming. I'm actually doing a lot of research on this now as I'm probably going to order a printer this weekend.

I'm no expert, though I've learned enough in the last 1.5 years that the 3D printing group in my company seems to look to me as one of the "senior" members in regards to ability to answer questions. If you really are interested in getting into it I'd be happy have a chat to help steer you in the right direction for a newbie.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Frunk's post in the t-shirt thread reminded me that I never posted my latest desk toy done on the printer
MVIMG_20200724_162145.jpg

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:45 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:25 pm Frunk's post in the t-shirt thread reminded me that I never posted my latest desk toy done on the printer
MVIMG_20200724_162145.jpg
Oh My! Impressed I am, Yeeess.