gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Tesla battery issue - smoke, then flash fire

Post by gnat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16 am

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:43 am

gnat wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:16 am Follow up: https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/28/tesla ... ry-module/
RRIIIGHT! I really believe what Tesla said...not!
11mgu4.jpg
11mgu4.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Never gonna make you cry...

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:54 pm

Gotta call BS on that story too. The amount of fire was way more than one cell lighting off. Maybe one module - not sure how many cells are in a Tesla module, but that would indicate a BMS (battery management system) or a charging issue, not a battery cell issue.
Kind of surprising that more Tesla’s have not burned up.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:19 pm

I can't speak to the accuracy, but it was done by a 3rd party rather than Tesla themselves.

As far as "more than one cell", the fire was certainly more than a single cell but all it takes to set it off is a single cell. The first cell causes the ones next to it to burn, which cause the ones next to them to go up, etc until you have a giant ball of fun. Lithium is some nasty shit in so many ways.

So accurate or not, it is a plausible explanation.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:19 pm I can't speak to the accuracy, but it was done by a 3rd party rather than Tesla themselves.

As far as "more than one cell", the fire was certainly more than a single cell but all it takes to set it off is a single cell. The first cell causes the ones next to it to burn, which cause the ones next to them to go up, etc until you have a giant ball of fun. Lithium is some nasty shit in so many ways.

So accurate or not, it is a plausible explanation.
Well, let's see:
Tesla provided the update on the cause of the fire in a post Friday on its Weibo social media account.
and
A Nio-led team of experts that included the supplier of the battery pack module, investigated a reported fire involving an ES8 in Shanghai. The team concluded there was a vulnerability in the design of the battery pack that could cause a short circuit. In this case, battery packs in the vehicles involved were equipped with a module specification NEV-P50.
Neither of those highlighted groups above have any skin in the game...I'm skeptical! Besides this is far from the only Tesla to do the Human Torch imitation while on charge or not. Guess it's just the price of saving the world!
ibvm6wbobz811.jpg
ibvm6wbobz811.jpg (28.4 KiB) Viewed 3806 times

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Wonder if DirecTV got their batteries from Tesla?
DirecTV satellite is at risk of explosion due to battery issues

DirecTV has one month to remove a satellite from geostationary orbit, so it doesn't take other satellites down with it if it ends up exploding. The AT&T-owned TV service fears that its Spaceway-1 satellite (a Boeing 702HP model) might explode due to battery issues that started manifesting in December. According to SpaceNews, DirecTV explained in an FCC filing dated January 19th that an anomaly caused "significant and irreversible thermal damage" to the satellite's batteries.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:32 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm Wonder if DirecTV got their batteries from Tesla?
DirecTV satellite is at risk of explosion due to battery issues

DirecTV has one month to remove a satellite from geostationary orbit, so it doesn't take other satellites down with it if it ends up exploding. The AT&T-owned TV service fears that its Spaceway-1 satellite (a Boeing 702HP model) might explode due to battery issues that started manifesting in December. According to SpaceNews, DirecTV explained in an FCC filing dated January 19th that an anomaly caused "significant and irreversible thermal damage" to the satellite's batteries.
Wow. That is a bad failure mode! As a Direct TV subscriber I wonder if this will affect service. For sure their customer service could not get any worse :| :| :|
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:32 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm Wonder if DirecTV got their batteries from Tesla?
Wow. That is a bad failure mode! As a Direct TV subscriber I wonder if this will affect service. For sure their customer service could not get any worse :| :| :|
Daryll
The article said it would not affect service to anyone as this bird is a back-up.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:38 pm
Battery Guy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:32 pm

Daryll
The article said it would not affect service to anyone as this bird is a back-up.
I’m very confident that they will still add $30 to my bill for no reason, then make me waste an hour on the phone getting it credited back. Next bill will be correct, then the following month will be screwed up again. But at least I have slow internet service. To their credit the Direct TV part of the package does not suck for the price.
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:25 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:38 pm

I’m very confident that they will still add $30 to my bill for no reason, then make me waste an hour on the phone getting it credited back. Next bill will be correct, then the following month will be screwed up again. But at least I have slow internet service. To their credit the Direct TV part of the package does not suck for the price.
D
Just curious what the tv part of DirecTV costs these days? I had DirecTV for 11 years in rural Iowa and 2 Years in Chicago suburbs and loved it. When we moved here this house sits on a heavily treed lot with mature trees blocking the satellite azimuth and altitude so we are screwed into using cable. We have three tv's each require a cable box, one of which is a DVR. We don't have premium such as HBO-Showtime-etc but a digital package including a college sports no pro sports and we pay north of $170 per month. Keep in mind this is for tv service ONLY. I don''t recall DTV being that pricy but last we had it was 2005 so maybe it's gone up.