question for the computer dudes

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

question for the computer dudes

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:02 pm

How concerned should I be about the "this connection is not private" on Safari? I am trying to get to Bali Blinds for a replacement part and Safari keeps giving me this warning. On drill down the problem is reported as "this certificate is signed by an untrusted issuer". Is this a big deal or should I just say who cares and go to site?
Never gonna make you cry...

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Re: question for the computer dudes

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:16 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:02 pm How concerned should I be about the "this connection is not private" on Safari? I am trying to get to Bali Blinds for a replacement part and Safari keeps giving me this warning. On drill down the problem is reported as "this certificate is signed by an untrusted issuer". Is this a big deal or should I just say who cares and go to site?
More technical folks will weigh in, but I would not give my credit card to a site on which Safari thinks there's something hinky with the security certificate. For one thing, security certificates are easy, paper-pushing stuff. If they can't get that right, what else are they not caring about? Rinky-dink stuff.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 pm

This is the issuer of the certificate:

Network Solutions, LLC is an American-based technology company and a subsidiary of Web.com, the 4th largest domain name registrar with 6,722,545 .com registrations as of August 2018

they appear legit but their customers are not extremely happy with the costs or the customer service from Network Solutions.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:16 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:02 pm How concerned should I be about the "this connection is not private" on Safari? I am trying to get to Bali Blinds for a replacement part and Safari keeps giving me this warning. On drill down the problem is reported as "this certificate is signed by an untrusted issuer". Is this a big deal or should I just say who cares and go to site?
More technical folks will weigh in, but I would not give my credit card to a site on which Safari thinks there's something hinky with the security certificate. For one thing, security certificates are easy, paper-pushing stuff. If they can't get that right, what else are they not caring about? Rinky-dink stuff.
Right in one (though it applies to giving it ANY information).

SSL certs are not the silver bullet that many believe (e.g. there are ways to spoof a site with a fake cert, but your browser believes it is legit), but it is better than clear text and ignoring such errors (which many do) is a recipe for trouble.

You should only ever ignore a cert warning if you are 100% positive you know why it is giving the error and that the cert in question is 100% in the control of the correct party. That pretty much limits the appropriate people to ignore cert warnings to those that are building/administrating the site in question.

I also agree that a bad/expired cert says a lot about the company in question.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Did a google for the site and Chromium offered no complaints about the cert. Here is what it shows me:
Screenshot from 2019-06-27 15-36-17.png
Screenshot from 2019-06-27 15-36-17.png (49.42 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
A glob cert (the *.baliblinds.com) and a 3 year cert are terrible from a security perspective, but it's not uncommon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:47 pm

gnat wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 pm Did a google for the site and Chromium offered no complaints about the cert. Here is what it shows me:
Screenshot from 2019-06-27 15-36-17.png

A glob cert (the *.baliblinds.com) and a 3 year cert are terrible from a security perspective, but it's not uncommon.
Thanks. I did see the certificate detail. I have found out the Bali and Graber are one in the same and the Graber website works fine. Funny thing is my iPhone had no problem with the Bali website.!!?? Oh well now on hold for customer no service.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:58 pm

Holy Crap! These blinds have been installed since 2012. I spoke with customer service explaining that I needed a part because my grandkid broke it. Since I had the original order number there was no charge!!! She explained if you have the original order number there will never be a charge for parts unless it is for the lift strings.

I must have entered the Twilight Zone while on hold!!
giphy-32.gif
giphy-32.gif (912.82 KiB) Viewed 2234 times

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:23 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:58 pm Holy Crap! These blinds have been installed since 2012. I spoke with customer service explaining that I needed a part because my grandkid broke it. Since I had the original order number there was no charge!!! She explained if you have the original order number there will never be a charge for parts unless it is for the lift strings.

I must have entered the Twilight Zone while on hold!!
Our bathroom faucet MFG (one of the big ones, but I forget who off the top of my head) is like that. Wife called to order a new cartridge for the hot water valve on one as it was leaking. We already had them like 7 years at that point and they replaced it for free. Not only that sent us the cold water cartridge too and asked if we had any more of that faucet (we have 5) and sent us replacements for the rest too!

Didn't even need the original receipt or anything, just the model number. There are still some good companies out there.

The kitchen faucet MFG, however, wanted $50 plus shipping for a new aerator screen :x

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:18 pm

If there's a privacy error, I close the browser - I definitely don't finish the order.

I also don't use Safari because I have enough self-loathing in my life.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:20 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:18 pm If there's a privacy error, I close the browser- I definitely don't finish the order.

I also don't use Safari because I have enough self-loathing in my life.
Safari was not even letting me get to the site without the warning! Much less try to make a transaction.

What would you use with an MacBook Pro? I had so many problems on window machines with IE, Chrome and Firefox that I trashed the laptop and desktop and went with a Mac. Haven't had any problems since. It was fun destroying the had drives though...kind of cathartic!