New Corvette!

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: New Corvette!

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 pm

And one thing that's starting to get very obvious to me is that we are reaching or already past the reasonable power levels for street cars.

This Vette will have 500hp, and will do 0-60 in low 3s range. You can't use this performance anywhere but on the track. You are 2 seconds away from criminal speed ticket everytime you floor this car.

And this is true for all modern performance cars. You can't enjoy their performance on the street. They are just too fast to be usable.

I know for the fact that 95% of high performance cars never see track days and spend most of their time put putting around with occasional few second blasts on on ramps. Kind of defeats the point of owning such a car.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 pm And one thing that's starting to get very obvious to me is that we are reaching or already past the reasonable power levels for street cars.
I think we've been there since the muscle cars of old. Even the 996 is over powered for normal driving 20 years later.

But as was shown by some Hellcat buyers, it has indeed gotten to stupid dangerous levels given that any moron that can get a loan and has a driver's license can get them.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:52 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm
Kalashnikov wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 pm And one thing that's starting to get very obvious to me is that we are reaching or already past the reasonable power levels for street cars.
I think we've been there since the muscle cars of old. Even the 996 is over powered for normal driving 20 years later.

But as was shown by some Hellcat buyers, it has indeed gotten to stupid dangerous levels given that any moron that can get a loan and has a driver's license can get them.
I still don't know the grip limits on my car because it would be grossly irresponsible to go fast enough in this thing for the back end to step out. I don't dare try and find out what my top speed is. At some point, its all just talk around the bar.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:07 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:52 pm
gnat wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm

I still don't know the grip limits on my car because it would be grossly irresponsible to go fast enough in this thing for the back end to step out. I don't dare try and find out what my top speed is. At some point, its all just talk around the bar.
Get out to an AutoX and find out the first. It may very well save your life sometime. Not only is it a blast, it will teach you how the car handles in an extreme situation (like trying to avoid an accident). I'm not interested in regularly AutoXing, but I'm sold on taking any new car out to find out how it will perform should I ever need it to.

If you want to have a go at the second, go do a HPDE. Though in my younger and dumber days I have been faster in the 996 than I was able to push it down the Summit Point straight with DT.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:50 pm

To me, it looks like a C7 that has been refined and has intakes for a mid-engine, but I'm not the most observant guy around.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 pm [...] this is true for all modern performance cars. You can't enjoy their performance on the street. They are just too fast to be usable.

It's kind of like gun ownership. [IN NEVADA] You can carry it around but you can't really use it unless you go to a special venue. :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Just a little brighter on the red, and I think they’ve nailed it.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:35 am

This is exactly the reason I still have a 1999 911 and a 1996 Corvette. They both make about 300HP - and frankly, that's enough. It's enough power to have fun, and nowhere near enough power to even bother with stoplight tomfoolery.

I know full well I am not responsible enough to own a 500+ HP car.

This Vette will have 500hp, and will do 0-60 in low 3s range. You can't use this performance anywhere but on the track. You are 2 seconds away from criminal speed ticket everytime you floor this car.

And this is true for all modern performance cars. You can't enjoy their performance on the street. They are just too fast to be usable.

I know for the fact that 95% of high performance cars never see track days and spend most of their time put putting around with occasional few second blasts on on ramps. Kind of defeats the point of owning such a car.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:37 am

C8 vs C6 - I see the resemblance...there's a drastic change, sure, but that's hard to avoid when you've lopped off a huge amount of snout.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:15 am

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:35 am This is exactly the reason I still have a 1999 911 and a 1996 Corvette. They both make about 300HP - and frankly, that's enough. It's enough power to have fun, and nowhere near enough power to even bother with stoplight tomfoolery.

I know full well I am not responsible enough to own a 500+ HP car.
Isn't that really part of the attraction? My friend who owns a 500+hp Vette says even given the issue of all the mechanical and electrical problems he loves the car because "it is the only car he has ever owned that constantly displays the potential to kill him." An interesting insight that goes to the bottom of the "need for speed" macho deal. i.e.: fast cars, motorcycles, fast boats, race cars, fast women :o ...etc...and yes I am guilty of all of the proceeding.
Never gonna make you cry...