Anybody know much about Mini Cooper Countryman All4?

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: Anybody know much about Mini Cooper Countryman All4?

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:58 am

An update on the winter beater olympics:

Wednesdays are the big dealer auction here in KC, so yesterday I played hooky from the office for a couple of hours to go check out the inventory. I told my wife that I was having an affair rather than going out to the auction to look at cars - she gets less pissed off that way.

Anywho, tops on my list was a 2009 BMW X5 4.8i, 118,000 miles, white with saddle interior and a 3rd row seat. We've had several X5s over the years and they are always easy to sell. It went through last week and sold at $6,800. I didn't bid on it because I didn't have a chance to go out and look at it in person, and the seller didn't pay to have a pre-auction inspection done, and he was selling it on a "limited guarantee" (basically "as is" except for engine and transmission). Well, it popped up again this week, so I felt I had to go look at it. Headlights foggy (easy fix), dead battery (easy fix), AC blows warm (anywhere from a $90 to a $1,000 fix), front bumper insert flopping around loose (could probably fix myself with a couple hours time and some glue and some zip ties), driver's seat needed to be re-dyed (probably $250 fix), a LOT of rock chips on the front bumper (could fix it myself with a couple hours labor and $50 worth of BMW touch up paint), power liftgate option not functioning (no idea how much to fix, but not a huge deal to sell that as-is). It did have a 3rd row seat, which is rare in an X5, and a panoramic sunroof (which is not really rare) and a brand-new set of "Wild Trail" brand tires and base model OEM wheels. But, not a lot of other options. No backup camera (did have sensors) - and I've gotten spoiled to the point that a backup camera is now a must on any daily driver. Hell, even my 996tt has a backup camera. I figured I'd be willing to bid up to $5,100 on it, which was $100 below the auction estimate of value. First bid on it was $6,000, so no soup for me. No problem - I'm not in a hurry anyway.

Of course, while I'm at the auction, I am able to test drive any car on the lot (of which there are about 2,000 each week). They have a quarter mile test track, plus you can drive around the huge lot. So, I scan the pre-sale listing and help myself to driving the following:
-2012 Panamera V-6 with 47k miles. Was faster than I expected and in nice shape. But too rich for my blood at a $24,000 auction estimate and it was 2wd.
-2015 Audi S3 Quattro, 39k miles. Really nice shape. Faster than shit. Probably could do better at autocross in it than my 996tt - it was roomy inside and felt small outside. Was very impressed. But, it's an Audi.
-2016 Infiniti Q50, ~50k miles, auction value about $16,000. Very impressive. The 2016 was the first year of the stretched body, allowing you to carry people in the back seats who are not lower extremity amputees. A definite contender. Only problem is that my wife always bitches about the smell of Infiniti's leather whenever I bring one home. It doesn't bother me, but I can smell a difference myself.
-2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4, ~50k miles. Nice little car, but realized that I don't want one. Marked it off my list as a potential buy.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a couple of hours. Beat the hell out of sitting in my office.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:18 pm

You are just a glutton for punishment. I don't think there are many less reliable cars than the 4.8is.

Buy a forester, CRV, Rav4 or outlander and call it a day. It will be easy to maintain and to sell.

Anytime I think of looking at cheap German or British fast cars, I fix myself by looking at my service costs for 996 and AMG. I would rather spend two weeks in All Inclusive somewhere and pay for BC to get there instead of paying for some "critical" repair that requires German tech and $150/hour rate. My BC flight on 747 to London this summer was cheaper on the per hour basis than the repair rates. So fuck that!

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Not saying you're wrong Kalash, but you may have noticed over the years that we are all diseased men enabling each others madness. I dunno what got you into cool cars in the first place but I can promise you my issue is insanity.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm

I was young? I had 15 cars through HS and college. I tried every combination available now, with mid engine being the only exception. FF, AWD 4 cyl evo turbo swapped talon, S13 240sx, impreza, grand prix gt, mustang 5.0 hatch, jaguar xjr, e36, e46, e90, e39 540i, thunderbird... Just a few. I also worked at the dealerships in college and beat the shit out of every remotely capable car. I was fired from one dealership afte they discovered that I was street racing in the trade in cars and driving them around before they went to the auction. It was fun.

Then I got older, and really don't feel like dealing with BS associated with high maintenance car. I get why I would want one... But today I can rent one, beat the shit out if it, and go home worry free.

And speaking of renting. Hendrick will be releasing 750hp hertz cars next month. I will rent one for sure.... For part 2. Mike's old car had a cameo in part 1.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm I was young?

Then I got older...

Oh, wow, this should have been obvious to me, but I also refuse to grow up :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm I was young? I had 15 cars through HS and college. I tried every combination available now, with mid engine being the only exception. FF, AWD 4 cyl evo turbo swapped talon, S13 240sx, impreza, grand prix gt, mustang 5.0 hatch, jaguar xjr, e36, e46, e90, e39 540i, thunderbird... Just a few. I also worked at the dealerships in college and beat the shit out of every remotely capable car. I was fired from one dealership afte they discovered that I was street racing in the trade in cars and driving them around before they went to the auction. It was fun.

Then I got older, and really don't feel like dealing with BS associated with high maintenance car. I get why I would want one... But today I can rent one, beat the shit out if it, and go home worry free.

And speaking of renting. Hendrick will be releasing 750hp hertz cars next month. I will rent one for sure.... For part 2. Mike's old car had a cameo in part 1.

I seem to remember that vid. Didn't you end up chatting with a Man in Blue because of that Mustang?
Never gonna make you cry...

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:21 pm

DA dropped the case.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:23 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:21 pm DA dropped the case.
Nice.

Well, you are right in that I'm a glutton for punishment. But, I also think that life's too short to drive a boring car. That might be your next evolution in aging - once your friends begin dying off over normal stuff like cancer and heart problems (rather than accidents), you realize that you can't take it with you. As we say in the estate planning/probate business, "If you don't fly first class, your children will."

The more I look, the more I like the Ford Explorer Limited (which is what I'm driving right now). My guess is that I'll either buy a little newer Explorer or an Infiniti Q50 (assuming it passes the wife's sniff test). Both of those should be fine.

Truth be told, I don't really like the BMW X5. They aren't real roomy and I don't think they drive that well. And they aren't all that luxurious inside. But we have had good luck maintenance-wise with them - just stuff I can fix myself because the BMW boards are very active with DIY info. Plus, for whatever reason, they are really, really easy to sell. Heck, last year, we literally had people lined up to buy my son's red 2004 X5 with 200,000 miles on it. We had showing appointments set up at 2 hour intervals on a Saturday afternoon, and the first one to look at it bought it, full asking price.

One thing people seem to like about X5s is that they have timing chains rather than timing belts. It seems like pretty much every Japanese vehicle uses timing belts, and the thought of spending $1,500 to change one at 60,000 mile intervals just makes buyers wet their pants.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:23 am Truth be told, I don't really like the BMW X5. They aren't real roomy and I don't think they drive that well. And they aren't all that luxurious inside.
But But But ... Ultimate Driving Machine!!! :lol:

You pretty much summed up what I've been saying about my wife's e90 since it was new.
But we have had good luck maintenance-wise with them
I'm not a fan of the car, but it has been good enough in that regard that I was going to go with the 13 X5 diesel before Porsche snookered me out of an extra $15k... (which almost 7 years in I still think was the right choice).
One thing people seem to like about X5s is that they have timing chains rather than timing belts. It seems like pretty much every Japanese vehicle uses timing belts, and the thought of spending $1,500 to change one at 60,000 mile intervals just makes buyers wet their pants.
Cuda might have something to say about the costs associated with "changing" a timing chain... :mrgreen:

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:02 am

gnat wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 am
Cuda might have something to say about the costs associated with "changing" a timing chain... :mrgreen:
Yeah, but in the end, even with the engine swap, he still made like a $100,000 profit on that car.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys: