Battery Replacement

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Battery Replacement

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 pm

My son's 2006 Cayenne S sits in the parking lot at college for apparently up to 2 weeks at a time between starts. Last year, he started chirping that his battery was bad because he'd have to jump start it after it sat for 2 weeks outside in January. My response was "Well, what did you expect? Did it start back up again after you drove it for a while?" My advice was to go take the car for a drive at least once a week, and more often in the winter months, otherwise any battery is going to struggle to start it.

When he was home last weekend, though, he said that now after 6 days, the car won't start. So, I figured it was time to get him a new battery, if nothing else, to prove that you just can't let a car sit outside for 2 weeks straight and expect the car to fire right up. I went online at AdvanceAutoParts.com, got a pop-up ad from the site for a 25% off promo code and proceeded to buy him a battery for pick up at the store for $128 (tax included) (without the core charge).

The battery was an Autocraft Gold, non-AGM, size H8, 900 cold cranking amps. When I pulled the old one (more about that in a moment), I found it to be an Autocraft Premium AGM, size H8, 850 cold cranking amps. The manufactured date was August 2015. We bought the car in July 2016, and I don't recall replacing the battery, so I suspect it had been in the car for about 4 years. Looking it up on the Advance Auto website, the current Autocraft Platinum AGM is now 900 CCAs with a 36 month warranty. So, I suppose it did its job. But, the current model of that battery is 33% more money than I spent on the non-AGM. Plus, after all of the problems that I had with jump starting and charging the AGM battery on my Audi A8L over the past couple of years, I figured a non-AGM battery would be better for this application. So, with it being cheaper and less complicated, plus the same CCA rating, I got the non-AGM battery.

Now, regarding the actual work of replacing a first-gen Cayenne battery - WTF? It isn't the first time I've replaced one - my wife's silver 2006 Cayenne S needed a new battery last year. So, this was my 2nd time doing it. Still, a major PITA. I got it done in about 30 minutes, but it is still way too complicated of a process. Plus you need a special tool (the #10 triple square socket). If they wanted to put the damn battery under the seat, they should have made some provisions to make it more accessible. Starting with - why the #10 triple square bolt? If someone is stranded on the side of the road or in a remote location, wouldn't it be much better to just have a standard hex head bolt or even an Allen head bolt holding down the front seat rails? And how about moving the battery forward or aft just a few inches so that running the seat forward or backwards all the way would make the battery accessible without having to unfasten the seat rails in the first place?

Bottom line, I feel like the son is still going to have trouble getting the battery to start the car when it inevitably sits for 2 weeks outside this winter without starting. I've bought him a lithium ion jump start pack (a Weego), which hopefully will work easier with a non-AGM battery that's dead versus an AGM battery. We'll see. But, thoughts on any aspect of the topic?
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Battery Replacement

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:08 pm

I can weigh in on the lithium jump pack - might not do the trick for a totally dead p!g battery, but the pack we own has worked every time we've tried it (3 total, I believe). They also double (most of 'em) as pretty bad-ass USB power banks, so your boy might even find a reason to keep it charged.

When Mrs. S bought one, I rolled my eyes; I apologized a week later after we used it to jump-start a clicky Accord (starter wouldn't even fully engage) at the grocery store.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Ummm.. Doesn't it need to be AGM since it's in the cabin and you really don't want off gassing to happen?

But yeah the change process is a PITA and it's the same up through the 958s. My body shop is bitching about it and wanting me to buy a new battery, but I told him it's his fault for letting it sit for so long.

I am surprised, however, that I got 7 years out of the factory battery. Similarly we got 10 years out of the BMW's factory battery before we had to replace it!

Damn 996 eats batteries though :-( Since a normal tender isn't possible (outside and can't run an extension across a public sidewalk) building a solar powered tender to just take over the rear shelf has been on my list for a long time.

If he'll deal with the hassle of taking it down and then remembering to put it back when he is not going to drive it for awhile there are solar tenders out there that you can fold out on the dash and plug into the lighter/12v port. You have to disconnect them before starting the car though. She would never put it back up after driving which is why "one of these days" I intend to build in a system that doesn't need to be manually disconnected.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:25 am

gnat wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:46 pm Ummm.. Doesn't it need to be AGM since it's in the cabin and you really don't want off gassing to happen?

But yeah the change process is a PITA and it's the same up through the 958s. My body shop is bitching about it and wanting me to buy a new battery, but I told him it's his fault for letting it sit for so long.

I am surprised, however, that I got 7 years out of the factory battery. Similarly we got 10 years out of the BMW's factory battery before we had to replace it!

Damn 996 eats batteries though :-( Since a normal tender isn't possible (outside and can't run an extension across a public sidewalk) building a solar powered tender to just take over the rear shelf has been on my list for a long time.

If he'll deal with the hassle of taking it down and then remembering to put it back when he is not going to drive it for awhile there are solar tenders out there that you can fold out on the dash and plug into the lighter/12v port. You have to disconnect them before starting the car though. She would never put it back up after driving which is why "one of these days" I intend to build in a system that doesn't need to be manually disconnected.
There is a vent tube from the battery to the outside (underneath) of the truck. I made sure that was hooked up.

Good idea about the solar charger. I hadn't thought about that. I may order him one on Amazon and have it drop shipped to him.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 am

If you need any relays or 555 DIPs, I plundered the Radio Shack parts bins during the bankruptcy sales.

gnat wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:46 pm " I intend to build in a system that doesn't need to be manually disconnected.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 am

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 am If you need any relays or 555 DIPs, I plundered the Radio Shack parts bins during the bankruptcy sales.

gnat wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:46 pm " I intend to build in a system that doesn't need to be manually disconnected.
Parts at the least of my worries. The bigger worry is that I know zip about building power supplies. I started the process of building gnat-bot a new home this weekend which consisted of tearing about this and extending wires turning it into this mess so that I can move bits around to fit in a 3D printed "rack":
30cf378c-ad7c-4e3b-8e9f-2549cbdf1ac8.jpeg
30cf378c-ad7c-4e3b-8e9f-2549cbdf1ac8.jpeg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
Three amazing things happened:
1) The house didn't burn down.
2) It worked.
3) I didn't get shocked (though I tried as I went to grab the main unit immediately after killing power. probably would have been OK, but it's got a hell of a cap on there...).

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:01 am

I vaporized an inch of screwdriver blade by shorting a coffee-can sized cap in a CalComp drafting plotter when I was 16 or so. Still remember sitting there thinking, "if that had been my finger..."

As my favorite Canadian YouTuber says, don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your pecker....

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:07 am

gnat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 am
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 am If you need any relays or 555 DIPs, I plundered the Radio Shack parts bins during the bankruptcy sales.
Parts at the least of my worries. The bigger worry is that I know zip about building power supplies. I started the process of building gnat-bot a new home this weekend which consisted of tearing about this and extending wires turning it into this mess so that I can move bits around to fit in a 3D printed "rack":

2) It worked.
3) I didn't get shocked (though I tried as I went to grab the main unit immediately after killing power. probably would have been OK, but it's got a hell of a cap on there...).
You built him a new home? You are a very thoughtful creator.
200w.gif
200w.gif (447.39 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:07 am
gnat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 am

2) It worked.

200w.gif
More like he will be a bug living in a dirty corner of the new digs. I'm building something else and it should have enough spare cycles to take gnat-bot on in it's free time.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:53 am

gnat wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:07 am
More like he will be a bug living in a dirty corner of the new digs. I'm building something else and it should have enough spare cycles to take gnat-bot on in it's free time.
I have no idea what you are saying...computer illiterate here...remember?
Never gonna make you cry...