What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Einsteiger

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 am

I think I speak for a lot of us by saying: "wish I was there" :) It'll be great. Looking forward to photos.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:36 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:18 am Callifornia Festival of Speed starts Friday; I'm moving into the track Thursday night.

This year is especially cool - as I mentioned in the CFOS thread, my 18-year-old visually-impaired nephew will be my radioman during Saturday's track tours, and I'm getting him lined up with some pax-seat time for the autocross experience and everything else I can get him shoehorned into.

He misses out on a lot of "exciting" stuff because of his vision, but there's no reason he can't enjoy the hell out of the smells, sounds, and sensations that are unique to a race track.

The track tour staging area - where we wait to pick up lines of cars for the tours during the lunch break - happens to be right near the end of the banked straight; it's a phenomenal place to hang out and listen and watch the end of the pre-lunch session.

If the driving sims are back this year, I'm gonna get him into one of those, find an easier track, and see if I can co-drive him a lap or two in the simulator.

I'll be posting up pictures of his massive, stupid grin in a few days... ;)
Thumbs Up!!!!!
Never gonna make you cry...

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:35 pm

Not something I did to the car, but about it. I found an original poster on ebay that the dealer used when my car was originally for sale and had it framed at the local craft store. Nice addition to the man cave.
Attachments
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0848.jpg
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:43 pm

Cool poster Mike - looks great in the frame!
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:57 am

I tried to jumpstart it today and .... nothing. I don't pretend to be a jump starting expert, but if the battery is dead dead dead will I get nothing when the cables are hooked up? No lights, nothing. Did get some sparks when I hooked up the ground jumper cable to the 996 so I think there was good connection with the cables. I'm assuming I just need a new battery but is there anything else I should be looking at first?
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:34 pm

DTMiller wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:57 am I tried to jumpstart it today and .... nothing. I don't pretend to be a jump starting expert, but if the battery is dead dead dead will I get nothing when the cables are hooked up? No lights, nothing. Did get some sparks when I hooked up the ground jumper cable to the 996 so I think there was good connection with the cables. I'm assuming I just need a new battery but is there anything else I should be looking at first?
Yes that battery sounds dead enough that it isn't likely to hold a good charge again.

If you charge it for a bit, however, it should pick up enough juice to let you jump it. What it does from there depends on the state of your alternator.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:28 pm

gnat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:34 pm
DTMiller wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:57 am I tried to jumpstart it today and .... nothing. I don't pretend to be a jump starting expert, but if the battery is dead dead dead will I get nothing when the cables are hooked up? No lights, nothing. Did get some sparks when I hooked up the ground jumper cable to the 996 so I think there was good connection with the cables. I'm assuming I just need a new battery but is there anything else I should be looking at first?
Yes that battery sounds dead enough that it isn't likely to hold a good charge again.

If you charge it for a bit, however, it should pick up enough juice to let you jump it. What it does from there depends on the state of your alternator.
I did a little research and hooked it up to the Miata for about 10 minutes and I got lights but not enough juice to start. I think the Miata just doesn't have enough oomph, and it doesn't have any rad fans so I don't want to let it idle for much longer. Need to get it into position I can get the Armada hooked up to it and let that idle for a while and see if I can get it started. I'm optimistic.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Yeah the battery/alternator in the Miata is probably too small to do anything but slow charge the 911. The Armada shouldn't have any issue getting it cranked if the 911 battery has enough juice to keep the lights on.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:52 pm

gnat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:46 pm Yeah the battery/alternator in the Miata is probably too small to do anything but slow charge the 911. The Armada shouldn't have any issue getting it cranked if the 911 battery has enough juice to keep the lights on.
I was smart enough to throw the trickle charger on it right after I unhooked it from the miata and after a period of flashing red (meaning not charging) it is now a solid red (charging) and hopefully in a day or so it will be green which we all know means go.

If my driveway didn't have a decent slope up to the garage I'd push the 911 out and hoook up the armada but it's nose into the garage with the Miata on jackstands next to it and the jumper cables won't reach from the Armada battery (passenger front right) to the 911 battery unless I put the wheels on the miata and move it out and I'm lazy so here we are. If I did push it out and can't get it started it's enough of a slope that getting it back into the garage would be a bear.
1997 MX-5 track car

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:52 pm

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I had gathered all the materials for the big oil change and LN Spin-On Filter Adapter install. Jeff [FRUNKenstein] kindly offered the use of a lift in his garage to work on the car – an offer not to be refused. Despite banging my head on the lift, motor, etc. a few times and sloshing a lot more oil around than I had intended, we got the job done. The LN filter adapter was easy to install and should make future filter changes a little less messy. Not shown in the photo below is the FilterMag that went on the new spin-on filter.

If I had it to do over, I would have used Jeff’s oil drain pan instead of the fancy one that I got at Autozone. You can see we had to rig the leaning tower of …oil… to put the pan close to the source….but the dang thing still could not really handle the volume of oil that came down. Splish-splash. Jeff held the tower steady while I nabbed an oil sample to send off to SPEEDiagnostics. Fingers crossed on that one – I really hope I didn’t contaminate the sample flailing about – trying not to spill oil whilst at the same time filling the sample bottle. The LN magnetic drain plug appeared clean – so it got a quick wipe down and a new washer.

Ironically, I watched Jake’s latest cinematic effort – Part 3B – and learned the proper way to measure the oil level for the M96. Eight quarts of DT-40 put the dash indicator at one notch up from the bottom – good enough to get home. Tomorrow I’ll check the level and add as needed. I have yet to cut open the old paper oil filter yet. That’ll keep until tomorrow.

As if this cumbersome demonstration of my limited skills was not enough, I hung around to help Jeff with a remove/replace of the transfer case control module on his Cayenne. Porsche puts these control boxes in the damnedest places.
In all, a great day with the 996 – I owe you one, FRUNKenstein!!!
Oil drain tower March2019.jpg
Oil drain tower March2019.jpg (327.93 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
LN adapter-filter Mar2019.jpg
LN adapter-filter Mar2019.jpg (385.44 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas