Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Kalashnikov » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:33 pm

My countrymen made a masterpiece. I still have fond memories of the NFS U2.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:42 am

Oooof, that thread by WonbyOne over at the other place. Guy buys a 996 without a PPI, already ticking. Talks himself into it being an accessory or the exhaust or a stuck lifter, until he borescopes it and shows massive scoring on #4. "Oh well, I'll drive it until it breaks!" This is last winter.

Next thread he posts: "I found some metal in the pan." The picture looks like a robot junkyard. Then he gets salty with people suggesting what he could do with a $15K paperweight.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:49 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:42 am Oooof, that thread by WonbyOne over at the other place. Guy buys a 996 without a PPI, already ticking. Talks himself into it being an accessory or the exhaust or a stuck lifter, until he borescopes it and shows massive scoring on #4. "Oh well, I'll drive it until it breaks!" This is last winter.

Next thread he posts: "I found some metal in the pan." The picture looks like a robot junkyard. Then he gets salty with people suggesting what he could do with a $15K paperweight.
Yeah, that is fun! However, I'm an "idiot" according to him so what do I know? :roll: the one thing I do know is I don't have a bushel basket full of aluminum in my oil pan!
Never gonna make you cry...

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:01 am

Unfortunately I think we’re going to see more of this. A 996 impulse-buy that ends predictably, followed by a Chevy engine conversion. The business for the retro-fitters will be booming. 😫
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 am

Einsteiger wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:01 am Unfortunately I think we’re going to see more of this. A 996 impulse-buy that ends predictably, followed by a Chevy engine conversion. The business for the retro-fitters will be booming. 😫
I don't get the Chevy conversion thing. Sure it has more power, and may be more reliable than the stock Porsche engine, but the conversion is expensive and resale has to go down, no? I guess if the plan is to keep the car forever it makes sense, but I would always know in the back of my mind I'm driving a chevy.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:47 am

Agreed. I think it is done mostly because of an emotional attachment to the car and to hell with resale. I just think as 996's dip more in price, we might see more of this....by people that don't do their homework...and a PPI. ;)
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am

So many of the swaps I've seen are awful... Dumping a junkyard truck V8 with iron heads into a 996 isn't going to yield the same results as a new crate LS.

If my M96 blows up, I will seriously consider a _modern_ LS swap - I've done some rough cost estimates; even with a new crate v8, a conversion will cost less than a "high-end" M96 rebuild; if the right wrecked donor is available, a conversion can cost about what it costs to install a used M96.

The parts eaten by a v8 996 are new Chevy parts rather than "Porsche Classic" parts. I haven't dug into this factor yet, but it will help determine if a SBC is the way to go.

Hopefully this is a decision I'll never need to make...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 am
Einsteiger wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:01 am Unfortunately I think we’re going to see more of this. A 996 impulse-buy that ends predictably, followed by a Chevy engine conversion. The business for the retro-fitters will be booming. 😫
I don't get the Chevy conversion thing. Sure it has more power, and may be more reliable than the stock Porsche engine, but the conversion is expensive and resale has to go down, no? I guess if the plan is to keep the car forever it makes sense, but I would always know in the back of my mind I'm driving a chevy.
Jake has always said, "if you want a LS powered car, go buy a vette". And I agree. One thing I've read over and over, aside from all the pains of making the V8 fit into the 996, is that the LS radically changes the driving dynamics. The car doesn't feel as planted to the ground. Maybe the roll effect? excessive oversteer??? The LS obviously has a higher center of gravity once installed in the 996 which in turn means the handling will be a lot more challenging to get used to.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:26 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:49 am
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:42 am Oooof, that thread by WonbyOne over at the other place. Guy buys a 996 without a PPI, already ticking. Talks himself into it being an accessory or the exhaust or a stuck lifter, until he borescopes it and shows massive scoring on #4. "Oh well, I'll drive it until it breaks!" This is last winter.

Yeah, that is fun! However, I'm an "idiot" according to him so what do I know? :roll: the one thing I do know is I don't have a bushel basket full of aluminum in my oil pan!

I really wanted to post - "Only an idiot needs someone to save their life." after he said "Only an idiot needs a mechanic to build an engine."

But then I put my fingers down and had some tea because my internet fighting days are behind me.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:35 am

b3freak wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:10 am
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 am
Jake has always said, "if you want a LS powered car, go buy a vette". And I agree. One thing I've read over and over, aside from all the pains of making the V8 fit into the 996, is that the LS radically changes the driving dynamics. The car doesn't feel as planted to the ground. Maybe the roll effect? excessive oversteer??? The LS obviously has a higher center of gravity once installed in the 996 which in turn means the handling will be a lot more challenging to get used to.
Chevy V8 is a little heavier and weight is carried higher up. A couple of years ago when I had strong suspicions that my engine was wounded I seriously considered an LS swap. With a new LS and the installation done professionally and completely it is several thousand more than what I will end up with with Jake. In addition I would have a Frankenporsche when done. True engine parts would be cheaper, but it would still be a Frankenporsche with a limited resale market if and when the time comes. To make it all work there is a lot of hacking crap out of the way to shoehorn in the V8 so going back would be expensive if not impossible. Besides my car is a MY05 one of 728 C4S produced as a 2005 and I just couldn't justify having it hacked up. In fact I declined Jake's offer to go with a "stronger" engine because it would require visible modifications. Beside the fact that I, as a senior citizen, would never use the additional power I wanted to keep the car "stock appearing". To each their own. I'm comfortable with my decision.
Never gonna make you cry...