Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks for the insight, Dr. Dre.
DTMiller wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:28 am White people really don't season their food.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:38 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:21 pm
Kalashnikov wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:59 pm I don't think Gonzo wants back. I called and emailed him a few times, he never replied.
That's funny - he always answers mine.

call back.gif

Not interested.gif
Well, you two look very cute riding together in your red car. So I can't compete.
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (10.23 KiB) Viewed 2557 times

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Hey Billy,

My buddy is bringing his CTR to the track next month. I did a little bit of research and it looks like fuel starvation under half tank, some mild overheating concerns and the stock tires aren't great. Anything else we should be alert to?
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 am

DTMiller wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:31 pm Hey Billy,

My buddy is bringing his CTR to the track next month. I did a little bit of research and it looks like fuel starvation under half tank, some mild overheating concerns and the stock tires aren't great. Anything else we should be alert to?
The track stuff I've read includes the overheating issues on hot days. A track rat said short shifting by 500 to 1000 will help. One guy complaining had a level 1 tune so that might have been a contributing factor. Another suggestion is going to a different grill to increase air flow, but since it is a new car doubt if your friend would want to do that. Tires...well as you know it's all about pressure. They aren't dedicated track tires, but folks say they do pretty good. I would go up in hot pressure to start by a few #'s maybe 38 front 35 rear and see what happens. Only heard of one guy whining about rolling the tires so bad he sandpapered the rim edges. He was probably trying to be Tanner Foust. Only saw one post about fuel starvation below 1/4 tank. Some complaints about brake pads getting hot, but most brake comments are positive. I haven't heard much else negative, however, it is a street car so it does have limitations. Oh, keep it in R+ mode.
Never gonna make you cry...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:45 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 am
DTMiller wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:31 pm Hey Billy,

The track stuff I've read includes the overheating issues on hot days. A track rat said short shifting by 500 to 1000 will help. One guy complaining had a level 1 tune so that might have been a contributing factor. Another suggestion is going to a different grill to increase air flow, but since it is a new car doubt if your friend would want to do that. Tires...well as you know it's all about pressure. They aren't dedicated track tires, but folks say they do pretty good. I would go up in hot pressure to start by a few #'s maybe 38 front 35 rear and see what happens. Only heard of one guy whining about rolling the tires so bad he sandpapered the rim edges. He was probably trying to be Tanner Foust. Only saw one post about fuel starvation below 1/4 tank. Some complaints about brake pads getting hot, but most brake comments are positive. I haven't heard much else negative, however, it is a street car so it does have limitations. Oh, keep it in R+ mode.
What are the different modes? I saw something about the controls eating up rear brakes (pretty standard in modern traction control systems) but I'm hesitant to have him turn much off on day 1 ever on track.

Also, do you know how hard pad swapping is? I was going to have him bring a spare set of pads from an autoparts store and just return them if we don't need them but if it's a giant hassle I won't bother.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 am

DTMiller wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:45 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:08 am

What are the different modes? I saw something about the controls eating up rear brakes (pretty standard in modern traction control systems) but I'm hesitant to have him turn much off on day 1 ever on track.

Also, do you know how hard pad swapping is? I was going to have him bring a spare set of pads from an autoparts store and just return them if we don't need them but if it's a giant hassle I won't bother.
Modes: Comfort, Sport and R+. It adjusts suspension settings and steering feedback. To me it also feels like it affects throttle mapping, but cannot confirm. On brake pad changing I will wander out look at mine, do a little research and let you know. Update: Fronts easy...Brembo remove two pins and remove pads. Rears require: pop spring keeper off then remove two bolts(7mm allen) from caliper to lift off. Looks easy.
Never gonna make you cry...

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:54 am

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Had a productive start to the day.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190413-161027.png

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Kalashnikov wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 pm Had a productive start to the day.
Do we really want to know what the masking tape is for? haha

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 am

You are from GA.... And you ask this? 😂 I am going to assume that you don't go shooting often B3.

Tape is there to hang targets or cover the holes on used targets.