Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:58 pm

I just hired a new developer. She was born the year after I got married.

Damn I'm old, and I'm not even that old yet.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:58 pm I just hired a new developer. She was born the year after I got married.

Damn I'm old, and I'm not even that old yet.
Didn't know you were hiring. Next time you want to hire an egotistical stubborn jackass programmer with pour grammar, give me a call!

Look at the bright side, at least you're the boss. The manager that hired me for my current position was 8 years younger than me :(

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Apparently being forced to drive the BMW 3 times in a week is enough to make me forget where to put the key in real ultimate driving machine :?

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:55 am

So, I had an interesting (where interesting = dumb) weekend. Hop in the car Friday night and turn the key. Nothing. Not a light on the dash, not a click. First thing to come to mind was the ignition switch, but I don't think that explains the lack of dashboard lights, or lack of dome lights.

Drive the wife's hybrid SUV up to the garage and get out the trusty jumper cables, but guess what? A hybrid doesn't have a regular battery, which makes sense. I assume it uses the battery that runs the electric motors to also power the starter. I did not see a jump post, but I'm already late so I take her car.

In the morning I venture out to Sears for a battery charger, hoping that's the issue. I had to disconnect the battery cables from the battery to get it to start charging, which I thought was weird. But sure enough, the battery charger indicates 0% battery power. A couple hours later, I am at 98%, which is when I decided enough is enough and re-connect the cables. Right away I hear the CD player turn itself on, so I'm pretty sure we have liftoff. Car starts right up.

Here's the dumb part. As the car is running, I hear a weird clicking noise coming from the passenger side interior. Door lock stuck? Mirror trying to move? NOPE! The electric seat switch is stuck in the forward position. I had washed the car and vacuumed the interior the Saturday before, and in moving the seat up, the switch got stuck and I didn't notice. So the seat motor spent I don't know how many days trying to move forward, draining the battery. I think I had to remove the cables to get the battery to charge because a charger will not operate while the battery is under load.

So, next in the line of small annoying jobs on the list is taking this switch off to see if I can clean it, as well as motor mounts and the transmission switch (back up lights are non-op).
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:08 am

Interesting! I know some of the "smart" battery maintainers/chargers I have won't do crap if there isn't a minimum amount of voltage(2 maybe) seen by the charger. I hate "smart" devices!
Never gonna make you cry...

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:38 am

Could be that too. Electricity scares and confuses me. In any case, easy enough to charge the battery while it's in the car but not attached to the cables.

I'm only hoping its the seat and not some other parasitic drain. It would be my luck to think I found the issue and have it be a short in the cigarette lighter or something.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:18 am

Wow, glad nothing worse than a dead battery was the result - those seat motors can pull a decent amount of current; it's fortunate that the motor windings didn't melt and blow the fuse.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:08 am Interesting! I know some of the "smart" battery maintainers/chargers I have won't do crap if there isn't a minimum amount of voltage(2 maybe) seen by the charger. I hate "smart" devices!
Exactly! I echo those thoughts. I bought one of those fancy computer monitoring chargers and it would recharge any of my batteries because it thought the batteries were all dead or "internal short". Went to Harbor Freight and bought the $30 special and it has served me well for two years now. Doesn't have any kind of computer nanny to think too much.... just a bare bones basic charger.

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 am

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:18 am Wow, glad nothing worse than a dead battery was the result - those seat motors can pull a decent amount of current; it's fortunate that the motor windings didn't melt and blow the fuse.
Phew! Feels like a dodged a bullet.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 am

b3freak wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30 am
32wildbilly wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:08 am Interesting! I know some of the "smart" battery maintainers/chargers I have won't do crap if there isn't a minimum amount of voltage(2 maybe) seen by the charger. I hate "smart" devices!
Exactly! I echo those thoughts. I bought one of those fancy computer monitoring chargers and it would recharge any of my batteries because it thought the batteries were all dead or "internal short". Went to Harbor Freight and bought the $30 special and it has served me well for two years now. Doesn't have any kind of computer nanny to think too much.... just a bare bones basic charger.
I had one of those, in a metal box and all, for over 30 years. Had a trickle feature, motorcycle amp feature as well as 10 amps for cars. It blew up this winter when I was trying spike charge the 300ZX with a dead battery. It "bit" me twice and it went in the garbage. Think I'll wander out to Harbor Freight.
Never gonna make you cry...