What did you do to/with your 996 today?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:58 am

I finally decided to fix my speedo backlight (the center backlight burned out on my instrument cluster a few weeks back) - so I took the cluster off, pulled the gauge surround off, pulled out the burned-out bulb, and...

...realized I have NO idea where my replacement Porsche gauge cluster bulbs are safely stored. The bulbs I had handy are NOT the ones I thought they were.

Goddamnit.

So, I stole the bulb out of the clock/oil level LCD and installed it into the speedo display...I can use the dipstick for now, and I won't get a ticket for not knowing what time it is.

On the plus side, I confirmed that the cable harnesses do not have to be disconnected from the gauge cluster in order to swap the bulbs - as long as the surround is removed, the pod can rotate forward far enough to deal with the bulb issue without full disassembly.

Once I quit being quite so lazy, a new DIY will go up showing this process.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:13 am

Hopefully you won't have more magic smoke escaping from the cluster this time...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:27 pm

I don't know if I included this info in my original thread about the cluster, but after the smoke was released, the LCD display was jacked up. Several numeric segments in the speedo window would not work, so 8's looked like 6's, 7's looked like 1's, you get the drift. I assumed this was the cost of doing business and had started to source a replacement...when one of the segments started working again. Over the next 2 months or so, all of the segments that hadn't been working started working again; a year or so later, everything is perfect (well, except the bulb I stole from myself)...

I went over all of the PCBs and visible components and never found anything charred or swollen - the source of the smoke was never found. It may be full of 70's-vintage hardware, but the thing took some abuse and is still working.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:56 pm

I just picked up my latest replacement ignition switch from Autozone (special order - no longer in stock) and ordered starter #3...

This is the most expensive reliable car I've ever owned. ;)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:06 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:27 pm I don't know if I included this info in my original thread about the cluster, but after the smoke was released, the LCD display was jacked up. Several numeric segments in the speedo window would not work, so 8's looked like 6's, 7's looked like 1's, you get the drift. I assumed this was the cost of doing business and had started to source a replacement...when one of the segments started working again. Over the next 2 months or so, all of the segments that hadn't been working started working again; a year or so later, everything is perfect (well, except the bulb I stole from myself)...

I went over all of the PCBs and visible components and never found anything charred or swollen - the source of the smoke was never found. It may be full of 70's-vintage hardware, but the thing took some abuse and is still working.
I'm guessing you're getting very good at pulling the dash display apart though so there is that...
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:16 pm

Yeah ours got the dreaded snowflake in a bad position. Didn't like the idea of a used cluster, wasn't keen on the issues with repairing it (company was very upfront though), and I liked the cost of a new unit even less. So I did what I do best... procrastinate!

It grew that winter, but like the season it "thawed" as things warmed up. After about a year it disappeared completely and the entire LCD functions normally. At this point it's been 3 years or so with no more issues...(so tomorrow it will be completely occluded :lol: )

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 am

Well it's been a good year of ownership, second oil change with a UOA (first one) sent in...Wish me luck!
FSI-R40

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:30 am

Good luck!

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am

That reminds me. I mailed in a sample to Speediagnostics on 9/30 and have yet to see the report.

Maybe it's so bad they are going to have a chaplain deliver the bad news.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:18 am

Einsteiger wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am That reminds me. I mailed in a sample to Speediagnostics on 9/30 and have yet to see the report.

Maybe it's so bad they are going to have a chaplain deliver the bad news.
"I'm sorry sir...it's terminal."
Never gonna make you cry...