What did you do to/with your 996 today?

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:50 am

Einsteiger wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:03 pm My ‘99 is Vesuvius Gray Metallic- which supposedly was a special order color back then. It gets a lot of comments & seems to change color with the light. It looks different in daylight, overcast, fluorescent lights, etc.
I looked at a car that had everything I wanted (price, options, etc.) that was in this color but I didn't pull the trigger because I couldn't figure out how it looked in person. Seems to be a different color depending on the light, which is really cool.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:11 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:50 am
Einsteiger wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:03 pm My ‘99 is Vesuvius Gray Metallic- which supposedly was a special order color back then. It gets a lot of comments & seems to change color with the light. It looks different in daylight, overcast, fluorescent lights, etc.
I looked at a car that had everything I wanted (price, options, etc.) that was in this color but I didn't pull the trigger because I couldn't figure out how it looked in person. Seems to be a different color depending on the light, which is really cool.
Yeah it is almost always described wrong and pictures never do it justice. There is a similar one with a purple base as well as the ME paint that have the same problems, but they are both stunning in person. Definitely a case of the right color for the right person though.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 am

When I got the car, I had no idea what the color was...just that we liked it. I looked up the paint code after the fact. It's fun at car shows to listen to people trying to figure out what it is. I finally made a windshield card to describe the code and what the factory color description is. :D
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Fun day with the car today. Wife and I drove from here (Columbus) to Cincinnati so that my son could see and drive my car. He loved driving it; thought that it was fun that he is only three years older than the 996! Then we stuffed my wife in the back seat and went to Pappadeaux for lunch. She fit amazingly well and did not complain (too much). Then we made a Costco run for my son, and drove home. Proved this is a fun and practical car; remembered how shitty I-71 is to drive in a firm-riding sports car. Can’t wait for spring....
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:37 pm Fun day with the car today. Wife and I drove from here (Columbus) to Cincinnati so that my son could see and drive my car. He loved driving it; thought that it was fun that he is only three years older than the 996! Then we stuffed my wife in the back seat and went to Pappadeaux for lunch. She fit amazingly well and did not complain (too much). Then we made a Costco run for my son, and drove home. Proved this is a fun and practical car; remembered how shitty I-71 is to drive in a firm-riding sports car. Can’t wait for spring....
Daryll
Fun! Weather was good?? YYYUUUMMM...Pappadeaux!!
Never gonna make you cry...

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:35 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:12 pm
Battery Guy wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:37 pm Fun day with the car today. Wife and I drove from here (Columbus) to Cincinnati so that my son could see and drive my car. He loved driving it; thought that it was fun that he is only three years older than the 996! Then we stuffed my wife in the back seat and went to Pappadeaux for lunch. She fit amazingly well and did not complain (too much). Then we made a Costco run for my son, and drove home. Proved this is a fun and practical car; remembered how shitty I-71 is to drive in a firm-riding sports car. Can’t wait for spring....
Daryll
Fun! Weather was good?? YYYUUUMMM...Pappadeaux!!
Weather was OK considering that it is February and we live in Ohio! At least it was sunny and dry, so my car stayed a little bit clean. I fixed that today driving to the airport in a winter rainy mess though...
Food was good - my son had never been to a Pappadeaux - he liked it. Liked driving the 911 more though LOL!
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Replaced my k&n intake with a unit from a 3.8 997. Debating if I want to get one of those silicone hose intake pipes.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Got new shoes for Brunhilde on Saturday, Kumho Ecsta91s. No review yet because of the goddamn snow all weekend. Cheap though, 1K all in.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:45 am

Yesterday, I left work at noon, went home, backed the 996 onto the rhino ramps, tossed my coveralls into the dryer (because transmission oil stank), and went inside to do a couple of things while the engine cooled and the clothes dried - a prelude to reinstalling the sport-cats I desperately miss. They've been sitting on a shelf since I had to get the car smogged last fall...

Fast-forward 30 minutes: I walk out to grab the laundry and start working on the car...and it starts dumping rain. Up until this point, it had been sunny and 72; the sunroof was even ajar.

Dammit.

So, no cats were reinstalled. Instead, I worked on Mrs. Schnell's rain barrel project...
IMG_20190305_171858_185.jpg
20190306_084652.jpg
Drum001.png
Drum001.png (757.33 KiB) Viewed 2543 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:27 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:45 am Yesterday, I left work at noon, went home, backed the 996 onto the rhino ramps, tossed my coveralls into the dryer (because transmission oil stank), and went inside to do a couple of things while the engine cooled and the clothes dried - a prelude to reinstalling the sport-cats I desperately miss. They've been sitting on a shelf since I had to get the car smogged last fall...

Fast-forward 30 minutes: I walk out to grab the laundry and start working on the car...and it starts dumping rain. Up until this point, it had been sunny and 72; the sunroof was even ajar.

Dammit.

So, no cats were reinstalled. Instead, I worked on Mrs. Schnell's rain barrel project...
How can a sunroof be a jar?(nod to Marx Bros "viaduct")

Nice job on the rain barrel!
Never gonna make you cry...