Turn signals not resetting

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Turn signals not resetting

Post by gnat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:34 pm

So 9 days ago I replaced the control module for the turn signals due to them not resetting. This gave me an opportunity to provide a nice DIY where we promptly argued the merits of trying to blow your face off with the air bag.

After reassembling I took it out for a drive to confirm all was right with my work and the signals were repaired.

A whooping 9 days later and they are both broken again :evil: :x

The original lasted 14ish years so I was a bit miffed that the replacement only lasted 4ish, but I chalked it up to crappy new plastics. But 9 fucking days!?!? WTF!

As it is usually only one side that breaks, but both broke on the last one and the new one coupled with the ridiculously short lifespan for the new one, I suspect there is more than mere bad luck and coincidence at work here. Anyone know what else I should look into before dropping another two fiddy only for it to break again?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Turn signals not resetting

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Are you sh!tting me! I have no response to your question, but cannot believe it failed already. So the new is broken same as the one you took out?
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Sometimes you just get a bad part. I just had 2 bad AC compressors in a row on my A8L. First new compressor had the coupler break 2 days after install. Second one (supposedly the best quality model) had a low side fitting hole that was simply about 1 mm too small. Since I source my own parts, I got to pay to swap compressors basically 2 1/2 times.
On the 928, when I recently swapped brake pads, I came to the conclusion that one brake pad slot on one caliper is simply smaller than it should be. I would exchange the part (it's got to still be under warranty, right?) and see if that doesn't resolve the problem.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Yeah I know bad parts just happen sometimes. It's that the issue is presenting for both signals rather than just one side which is the most common complaint.

I'll definitely be reaching out to Suncoast who will hopefully not make me pay another $245, but I'm looking for anything else to check on (like the part that actually trips the reset arm). I don't know the details of how the mechanism works so I'm hoping someone here knows details and what good vs bad looks like.

Black-Out
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Black-Out » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:29 am

I'd look at the cancelling lever that's inside of the stalk center that rides the column......Maybe the arm inside of the stalk broke off. Generally speaking the cancelling lever wont extend until the turn signal is flipped left or right, and there is a small tooth that flips it in to push the turn signal stalk back to center, during the turn back to the opposite direction to center. Its confusing to describe. If you still have your old stalk, try and engage the signal and look for the cancelling arm to pop out in the center of the assembly.... it should edge out at a slight angle and if you run your finger against it and push the lever it should reset the stalk to center. If the arm isn't there something may be shearing it off on the steering column. This is how most mechanical cancelling stalks work. That said we're talking about the Germans......They could have this thing set up some crazy kind of way with a miniaturized wizard that waves a wand at the thing and makes the turn signal cancel.... :shock:
William-
Current Ridez:
87' Dodge Conquest TSi
88' BMW 635CSi
89' Merkur XR4Ti
90' Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
95' BMW M3
99' BMW 328i Sedan
00' BMW 528i Sedan
00' Pontiac Fire Hawk Trans-Am
01' Audi S4 Twin Turbo
02' Porsche 911 Carrera
08' BMW 335i Coupe
10' Mercedes Benz E350 4-Matic AMG Sport

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Went by my Indy today (P!g is burning oil and then a window regulator failed in the BMW). They happen to have a torn down 986 that it looks like they are building a track car from. The steering wheel is out so I was hoping to get some pics to compare mine against, but the control unit was still installed :(
IMG_20180904_143711.jpg
Called Suncoast and I need to take it to a dealer (installed) and let them diagnose the problem to determine if it should be replaced under warranty.

While on the phone with Suncoast I fished the old unit out of the bits box I tossed it in. As Black-out describes, the pin pops out when the stalk is flipped and it returns the stalk to neutral if to press the pin in the correct direction...

Maybe my Indy will let me pull the module off the 986 when I pick up the BMW and get some pics to compare against.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm

I wouldn't rule out the miniature wizard theory just yet . . .
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm I wouldn't rule out the miniature wizard theory just yet . . .
giphy-19.gif
giphy-19.gif (931.97 KiB) Viewed 2656 times

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Good news!

It's good to be on good terms with your Indy even when you DIY. So he let me look at the 986 and the result is I think the only mistake I made was not tightening the control switch clamp tight enough.

If you don't know what you are looking at it's hard to see in my DIY pics, but there is what looks like a off center washer (though I think it's machined) on the steering column which is what appears to be the trip for the turn signal reset.

I suspect that what has happened is that I didn't tighten the module's clamp enough and it worked itself back just enough that the "washer" is passing under the reset switch.

Of course it's in the triple digit heat index until it cools off to 70 degree days at which point it is supposed to rain for a week. I should really get a garage one of these days... :|

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:52 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:16 pm Good news!

It's good to be on good terms with your Indy even when you DIY. So he let me look at the 986 and the result is I think the only mistake I made was not tightening the control switch clamp tight enough.

If you don't know what you are looking at it's hard to see in my DIY pics, but there is what looks like a off center washer (though I think it's machined) on the steering column which is what appears to be the trip for the turn signal reset.

I suspect that what has happened is that I didn't tighten the module's clamp enough and it worked itself back just enough that the "washer" is passing under the reset switch.

Of course it's in the triple digit heat index until it cools off to 70 degree days at which point it is supposed to rain for a week. I should really get a garage one of these days... :|
So do you need another part or just some adjusting/tightening?