Racetrack Stuff

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Racetrack Stuff

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 06, 2019 11:37 am

DTMiller wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 am
32wildbilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:12 am

I wondered if this last weekend was D-day for your buddy. Glad the Type R and your friend did well. It is an impressive car on the street. Did you have to change brake pads? How did the tires hold up? When are you going to buy one? Do you still think it is butt-ugly? :D
No, just fine, never, kinda.

We were only able to do one day as rain flooded the track on day 2 and it was cancelled. Car is super fun though, and I definitely see the appeal.
One more question: what did you do with tire pressures?
Never gonna make you cry...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon May 06, 2019 4:54 pm

Door jamb suggestions and they were fine.

He only drove it hardish the last two sessions and the car did great. If I had taken it for a full session I'd be able to tell you more but from the passenger seat the car felt a little understeery but that's typical of a production car in stock form.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 pm

DTMiller wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:54 pm Door jamb suggestions and they were fine.

He only drove it hardish the last two sessions and the car did great. If I had taken it for a full session I'd be able to tell you more but from the passenger seat the car felt a little understeery but that's typical of a production car in stock form.
Could that be a front wheel drive symptom? I have read a lot about guys trying to improve the turn-in on the track.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Mon May 06, 2019 7:22 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 pm
DTMiller wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:54 pm Door jamb suggestions and they were fine.

Could that be a front wheel drive symptom? I have read a lot about guys trying to improve the turn-in on the track.
Yeah, FWD cars tend to have that issue a little more in certain spots but even for a FWD car I thought it was a little much but I didn't drive the car hard; I did some touring laps driving to show him the track and the line and never got above ~40% effort at any point so I have no direct feedback, but in the twisty section when he gassed it he really had trouble getting it to turn in some spots; my butt gyro is pretty decently calibrated but not well enough to say anything other than it felt a little understeery at times.

I did take him out in my car and he didn't cry at all, so that's apparently possible.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue May 07, 2019 7:31 am

DTMiller wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:22 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Yeah, FWD cars tend to have that issue a little more in certain spots but even for a FWD car I thought it was a little much but I didn't drive the car hard; I did some touring laps driving to show him the track and the line and never got above ~40% effort at any point so I have no direct feedback, but in the twisty section when he gassed it he really had trouble getting it to turn in some spots; my butt gyro is pretty decently calibrated but not well enough to say anything other than it felt a little understeery at times.

I did take him out in my car and he didn't cry at all, so that's apparently possible.
So unlike the last guy from the in-car video whose voice went all soprano on him after a few corners!?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 am

RE: the parade laps - that's a tough nut. On one hand, it sounds like the pickup guy is being an absolute douche. On the other hand, EVERY YEAR at the festival of speed some asshat decides he's going to be the next Mario Andretti, and his debut performance is the "$20 Parade Lap Invitational."

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu May 09, 2019 2:00 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 am RE: the parade laps - that's a tough nut. On one hand, it sounds like the pickup guy is being an absolute douche. On the other hand, EVERY YEAR at the festival of speed some asshat decides he's going to be the next Mario Andretti, and his debut performance is the "$20 Parade Lap Invitational."
Agree. I only did parade laps one time, and I had a dog and a passenger with me, so I definitely wasn't channeling Mario Andretti. I believe the tradition was that the lead vehicle did a "brisk" pace, probably about 70-80% of what you'd normally do on the track. And because there were all kinds of vehicles in the parade (including pickup trucks), you just couldn't Mario Andretti.

End result - the week before the DE, I suggested that when we send out the standard all-member email reminder of the upcoming DE, we include a note that this time the parade laps will be done slowly and at no more than 60 mph per PCA guidelines. Pickup truck guy went nuts all over me via email to all the local PCA board/leadership, calling me names, etc. He said that nobody gets a heads up that the parade laps are changing and that if any parade laps participant dares to complain, then he's going to "have a talk" with them. And nobody's coming out to his DE to have a good time on the track without ponying up the $400 entry fee and being there the entire weekend. I didn't respond. But I did tender my resignation from the board the following week (was in the middle of my 4th year on the board and was the board secretary). Sorry, but it's just a car club. I'm not getting into a pissing match over a car club. Life's too short and there are far too many other more important things I have to do with my time.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Yeah, that dude definitely sounds like an asshat - the kind of guy that refers to events as "MY event..."

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Wow. I'd forward that on to National since that kind of garbage is going to have a negative impact to club perception and thus membership.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu May 09, 2019 2:28 pm

gnat wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm Wow. I'd forward that on to National since that kind of garbage is going to have a negative impact to club perception and thus membership.
I would if I had time to care that much. Today is the first time in over a month that I've had time to waste with you guys. I think everybody got a good whiff of him via the rants. And I don't want me causing a fuss in a car club to negatively impact the auto museum. Big picture.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver