Oil Analysis and other paranoid behaviours

Einsteiger

Oil Analysis and other paranoid behaviours

Post by Einsteiger » Fri May 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Someone had to start an oil thread in the NA 996 section. But this is really about oil analysis and what it means, not the usual 'what oil is best" twaddle found on that....other....forum.

Since others have been posting their oil reports for semi-public display, I thought I would venture to start a thread for this, knowing full well the risks and pitfalls of doing so.

So, I kick things off with a copy of my recent SPEEDiagnostics report for the old 99:
AAA-0551.pdf
(216.54 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
I love their approach because I do not have to do much research - just read it and weep. From this, my next venture with the old M96 will likely be valve guides and new injectors. This report may have been skewed by the clumsy way I did the sample, and by the fact that this car sat a long time after the IMS et. al. work completed in February '18. The NEXT report should be more revealing. As the Bahgwan said: "Paranoia is compleat awareness" :)

The next item of business is a confession - the following image of the new oil filter cutter-opener tool that just arrived today is proof positive of my new hobby and obsession. This tool is now necessary as I made the switch to the LN spin on oil filter adapter. I'm betting it's the only one in my area.
IMG_1558web.jpg
IMG_1558web.jpg (239.51 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
So, I leave the fate of this thread in the hands of the administratorship - delete if need be to avert an Outpost civil war over oil. :)
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Oil Analysis and other paranoid behaviours

Post by gnat » Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Mobile1 FTW!!!!!

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Fri May 24, 2019 3:21 pm

And so it begins. Sorry, lads.
Kevin
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri May 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:47 pm Someone had to start an oil thread in the NA 996 section. But this is really about oil analysis and what it means, not the usual 'what oil is best" twaddle found on that....other....forum.

Since others have been posting their oil reports for semi-public display, I thought I would venture to start a thread for this, knowing full well the risks and pitfalls of doing so.

So, I kick things off with a copy of my recent SPEEDiagnostics report for the old 99:
AAA-0551.pdf

I love their approach because I do not have to do much research - just read it and weep. From this, my next venture with the old M96 will likely be valve guides and new injectors. This report may have been skewed by the clumsy way I did the sample, and by the fact that this car sat a long time after the IMS et. al. work completed in February '18. The NEXT report should be more revealing. As the Bahgwan said: "Paranoia is compleat awareness" :)

The next item of business is a confession - the following image of the new oil filter cutter-opener tool that just arrived today is proof positive of my new hobby and obsession. This tool is now necessary as I made the switch to the LN spin on oil filter adapter. I'm betting it's the only one in my area.
IMG_1558web.jpg

So, I leave the fate of this thread in the hands of the administratorship - delete if need be to avert an Outpost civil war over oil. :)
"Valve guides"! Holy Frijoles! Do you think that is necessary at this point? First oil sample? Having oil in these cars is good so I have no comment about type. I used Mobil 1 for a few years and it seemed to keep the car alive. Filter cutter...same one I have, of course all I had to do to get mine was drive across town! It works well and you get a free bumper sticker.
Never gonna make you cry...

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Fri May 24, 2019 3:50 pm

Aye...the sticker is what sold me on this particular variant of said tool. Someone with more expertise than I would have to take a good look at the report, but that was one possibility that was suggested [valve guides] But I would think if the valve guides were going, there would be soot in the tailpipes...and they are clean as can be.

The NEXT sample will be the real barometer. When the motor was out for the LN IMS, seals, AOS, water pump, chain guides, tensioners, etc., my guy said that the insides looked really clean and in good shape from what could be seen from the entrails without a complete dissassembly. [boroscope, Ouija Board, etc]

As soon as I find my damn crystal ball, I'll get it all sorted out. :)
Kevin
Eastern Kansas

Hatchetf15
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Hatchetf15 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:01 pm

It does seem, though, the other 996 forum’s usual frenetic behavior concerning all things oil has abated since the last few posts from people who know the Shiite about oil (Charles, Lake, JR, et al). Just waiting with a giant bag of popcorn for the next lunar(tic) cycle to come around. Balls o’ iron Einsteiger! Starting a seemingly innocuous thread about oil before a holiday weekend meant for high-spirited, high rpm driving...genius! I need to go start my car and check for bore scoring now.

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Sat May 25, 2019 7:56 am

I found no issue with using tin snip to open my filter...
FSI-R40

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat May 25, 2019 8:36 am

808Bill wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:56 am I found no issue with using tin snip to open my filter...
I considered those but the cutter is like cutting pipe or tubing. No crushing. No sharp jagged edges. Only have to handle the non-cutting end which is good for me as anytime I walk into the garage my knuckles start bleeding spontaneously!! Wife calls me a klutz and she is right.
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Sun May 26, 2019 6:22 am

Hatchetf15 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:01 pm It does seem, though, the other 996 forum’s usual frenetic behavior concerning all things oil has abated since the last few posts from people who know the Shiite about oil (Charles, Lake, JR, et al). Just waiting with a giant bag of popcorn for the next lunar(tic) cycle to come around. Balls o’ iron Einsteiger! Starting a seemingly innocuous thread about oil before a holiday weekend meant for high-spirited, high rpm driving...genius! I need to go start my car and check for bore scoring now.
We were shooting (video, not guns) :lol: all day at Jake Raby's research/training facility and that very topic came up about how Raby and other usually get lumped into the same ol' oil stereotype. Just wait until the next three Bore Scoring videos and Part 7 Jake talks about what oil to use. You will be surprised!

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sun May 26, 2019 6:54 am

Looking forward to those. For that first sample of mine, it was M-1 oil. The next one will be DT-40.
Kevin
Eastern Kansas