First traffic stop with a dashcam...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

First traffic stop with a dashcam...

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:04 am

For the first time since I got the 996, I was lit up by a motor officer for not having a front plate.

Background: I live in La Mesa, a small city in San Diego county. Since we are incorporated, we have our own police force and fire department (most of San Diego County is served by SDPD or the SD Sheriff). Our cops are usually very friendly, but they tend to have a bit of "big fish/small pond" mentality. Regardless of how stupid I think your "I'm the LAW!" bravado might be, you're the law...so I'ma shut up and be respectful when I get pulled over.

The initial part of the conversation was typical "gruff cop" - asking to see the license, asking why there's no front plate (didn't come with one), asked how long I've had the car (nearly 6 years), tried to trick me into a lie (are personalized plates? Then you got 2, didn't you? Where's the other one?). I was respectful and pleasant with every answer, but the guy was absolutely waving his dick around unnecessarily.

While he was waiting for dispatch to tell him whether or not I was a known murderer, he noticed my detector chirping (not illegal in CA as long as they are not attached to the windshield) and gruffly asked it it had picked them up on the median (of course it did - you've been sitting there blasting KA the entire time I was in 7-11...). While he was ogling the detector, the dashcam next to it caught his eye...and that's the weird bit.

His demeanor IMMEDIATELY changed - he went from being gruff/overbearing to friendly and talkative. The subtle interrogation immediately ended. He handed my license back and (quite literally) suggested that I "I might want to look into acquiring a front plate," walked back to his bike, and rode off.

It's entirely possible that I'm imagining or exaggerating the effect the camera had on this traffic stop - but I'll be installing a dashcam in Mrs. Schnell's Cherokee just the same.

Any of you all experienced before/after traffic stops with dashcams? I'm curious if this is my imagination or a legit phenomena.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: First traffic stop with a dashcam...

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:12 am

For GOD's sake just get a front plate!!! A proper mount does not the 996 hideous and you won't have to deal with Deputy Dawg unless you do something really wrong.

That is interesting about the dash cam attitude change. Or maybe he just realized you were a nice guy...NAW must have been the cam.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 am

Nope. I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars since 2000, and I'm not gonna start drilling now. :D

I should work up a "sovereign citizen" line to use on him next time - I bet he'd LOVE that.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 am

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 am Nope. I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars since 2000, and I'm not gonna start drilling now. :D
Heh. I think that was about when we stopped mounting our plates too. I think we've had maybe 4 tickets for it since then and it's always been by dick cops that either just want to hassle someone or realize that they weren't going to make the ticket they were going to write stick.

And yes putting the front plate on a 996 (or 958 or XK8) does totally make it ugly.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:31 am

gnat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 am
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:17 am Nope. I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars since 2000, and I'm not gonna start drilling now. :D
Heh. I think that was about when we stopped mounting our plates too. I think we've had maybe 4 tickets for it since then and it's always been by dick cops that either just want to hassle someone or realize that they weren't going to make the ticket they were going to write stick.

And yes putting the front plate on a 996 (or 958 or XK8) does totally make it ugly.
Hey it's a law! You must not love your state! You should leave and go back from where you came. :roll:

I should work up a "sovereign citizen" line to use on him next time - I bet he'd LOVE that.

I know a guy who could help you with a proletariat speech...

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:35 am

Move to AZ, we don't have front plates.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:00 am

Quick statistics for you Billy. Neither Schnelly nor I have front plates. Neither Schnelly nor I have had a major engine problem. Coincidence? I think not! :lol:

You could also view it that we love our states more as we are willing to pay it extra "taxes" from time to time :p

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 am

Yeah, I'ma pass on the AZ thing. There are much quicker and far less painful ways to die.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 am

Although I'm not above visiting every now and then to "shop" for a new grill...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:08 pm

gnat wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:00 am Quick statistics for you Billy. Neither Schnelly nor I have front plates. Neither Schnelly nor I have had a major engine problem. Coincidence? I think not! :lol:

You could also view it that we love our states more as we are willing to pay it extra "taxes" from time to time :p
HHHMMM...you might have a point on the engine. However, since mine is slanted in line with the contour of the bumper cover I get an additional down force at high speeds to keep the front end stuck to the road. So engine damage or down force...tough decision. :lol:

Taxes...it's pretty close:
Total State tax burden per WalletHub 4-2-19

11 California 9.47%
14 Nebraska 9.21% (We got high tax load for a Repub leaning state)
15 West Virginia 9.18% or
38 Virginia 7.80% whichever applies I can't remember
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.