Cabrio Issues

Battery Guy

Re: Cabrio Issues

Post by Battery Guy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:13 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 am
Battery Guy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 pm Update on the top repair for those interested. Did a water test, and unfortunately it leaked like a sieve. So will experiment with some duct tape on the inside. Likely will not work, but all I want to do is have some ability to drive in the rain. Worst case I can drive our spare car (Jeep GC) when it rains now that my son is at college.
Will deal with a new top next spring.
Daryll
My experience with "100 mph speed tape" is that when the glue side gets wet it starts to lose it's grip, but good luck.
Same here, so not expecting much. Just trying to put off installing the hard top going into perfect top down weather for a couple of months. It’s not the end of the world if it is a fair weather only car until the hard top goes on - just don’t want to have a mess to clean up if I get caught in an unexpected rainstorm.
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:32 am

If the fabric top is junk anyway, what about using silicone to affix the glass to the canvas? RTV will adhere to both materials, it doesn't leak, and you can remove it from the glass if you need to replace the top in the future but want to keep the window.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:35 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:32 am If the fabric top is junk anyway, what about using silicone to affix the glass to the canvas? RTV will adhere to both materials, it doesn't leak, and you can remove it from the glass if you need to replace the top in the future but want to keep the window.
That is worth a try. The gorilla glue seems to have secured the window to the top well enough, so now I just need to seal the water leaks and if the RTV also provides some mechanical bonding that is helpful too.
Thanks!
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:35 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:32 am If the fabric top is junk anyway, what about using silicone to affix the glass to the canvas? RTV will adhere to both materials, it doesn't leak, and you can remove it from the glass if you need to replace the top in the future but want to keep the window.
That is worth a try. The gorilla glue seems to have secured the window to the top well enough, so now I just need to seal the water leaks and if the RTV also provides some mechanical bonding that is helpful too.
Thanks!
Daryll
Update on my exciting top issue. The RTV seems to have worked - thank you 5chn3ll !! So now I have a functional and ugly soft top until the hard top goes on in six or eight weeks.
Will replace the soft top in the spring.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:08 am

Battery Guy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:25 pm
Thanks!
Daryll
Update on my exciting top issue. The RTV seems to have worked - thank you 5chn3ll !! So now I have a functional and ugly soft top until the hard top goes on in six or eight weeks.
Daryll
Better than duct tape!
Never gonna make you cry...

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:16 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:08 am

Daryll
Better than duct tape!
That was Plan C - fortunately looks like we have stopped at “B”!
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:38 pm

When it comes to half-assery, I'm the man!

Congrats, Daryll!

Thanks!
Daryll
Daryll

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:57 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:38 pm When it comes to half-assery, I'm the man!

Congrats, Daryll!

Daryll
Thanks! Was pretty happy when I did the water test and it did not leak. Have owned this car for less than a year and have corrected most of the deferred maintenance issues from before I bought it. The top was a huge disappointment as I was not planning on having to replace the top for a long time. But shit happens unfortunately.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black