New Member Intros

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: New Member Intros

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:43 am

Welcome Battery Guy! My first 996 was a '99, black on black. It was a great car. It had 148,000 miles on it when I sold it and it looked & drove great.
German car show, 2014-10-13.jpg
20130928_085831.jpg
20130928_085831.jpg (436.76 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
I think the top of the rear seats in the supple leather were different too - not just the bottoms. Here's a pic of my '99 rear seats with supple leather:
20141119_105356.jpg
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:49 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:43 am I think the top of the rear seats in the supple leather were different too - not just the bottoms. Here's a pic of my '99 rear seats with supple leather:
Ugh. As much as I hate to admit it, you are right. Shows how much time I spend in the back seats :lol:

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 am

gnat wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:17 am
b3freak wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:01 am From what I understand, there are two primary types of leather quality in the 996, but no "pleather" or "Blended" leather alternatives. The upper end leather is supposedly supple leather seats (can't remember the official Porsche designation) which is much softer and commonly found on the upper end cars like the C4S and Turbo. The standard leather is pretty darn good. You'll also find "full leather" options from time to time in 996 which includes leather coverings on rear seats, door panels, dash, etc.

Anyway, welcome to the Outpost!
Nope.

The supple leather was an option over the taut seat centers with the pin holes. The only difference is the seat centers in front (upper and lower) and the bottom of the rear seats which have the supple/ruffled look.

There were indeed lots of leather options (and we got all except for the embossed head rests in ours) that get ridiculous (leather covered vent slats!), but the base seats in the early models were indeed not real leather. I know this for a fact for the 99s and 00s, but I'm not positive about the 01s as they changed the option list and moved to more packages and less individualization (which really pissed us off at the time time as there were suddenly a bunch of options we wanted and could no longer get (deviated leather, white gauges and AL trim bits (not available with all the leather we put in), and some other things). Really sucked to finally get our build slot and then be told we couldn't have the car we had customized over the 2 year wait. Still have yet to see it's identical twin though :)
Wow, I didn't know they put a non-leather seats in the 996. Sacrilege! Was this like the BMW "leatherette" or purely vinyl seats? I know there are lots of leather options (e.g. logo embossed, rear seats leather, full leather, deviated stitching, etc.), but when it boils down to it, wasn't it just two types of leather quality on the seats? That is, the supple leather and standard perforated leather?

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:14 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 am Wow, I didn't know they put a non-leather seats in the 996. Sacrilege! Was this like the BMW "leatherette" or purely vinyl seats? I know there are lots of leather options (e.g. logo embossed, rear seats leather, full leather, deviated stitching, etc.), but when it boils down to it, wasn't it just two types of leather quality on the seats? That is, the supple leather and standard perforated leather?
Don't know if it was really vinyl or not, but it sure looked and felt like it. It was terrible. I tend to forget since we put a herd of dead cow in hers, but the "cheap" complaints about the 996 were deserved on the stripper models.

To the best of my knowledge there is no difference in the leather quality/type in the MkI (don't think there was in the MkII either, but not sure when they started with the different leather types). The ruffled/supple leather was just a different style for the seat centers. It does feel softer than the rest of the seat leather, but I believe that is simply a function of the relaxed nature of the style. Pulled tight it feels like the rest of the leather in the car as far as I can tell.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:20 am

gnat wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:14 am
b3freak wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 am Wow, I didn't know they put a non-leather seats in the 996. Sacrilege! Was this like the BMW "leatherette" or purely vinyl seats? I know there are lots of leather options (e.g. logo embossed, rear seats leather, full leather, deviated stitching, etc.), but when it boils down to it, wasn't it just two types of leather quality on the seats? That is, the supple leather and standard perforated leather?
Don't know if it was really vinyl or not, but it sure looked and felt like it. It was terrible. I tend to forget since we put a herd of dead cow in hers, but the "cheap" complaints about the 996 were deserved on the stripper models.

To the best of my knowledge there is no difference in the leather quality/type in the MkI (don't think there was in the MkII either, but not sure when they started with the different leather types). The ruffled/supple leather was just a different style for the seat centers. It does feel softer than the rest of the seat leather, but I believe that is simply a function of the relaxed nature of the style. Pulled tight it feels like the rest of the leather in the car as far as I can tell.
I bet the non-leather seats are from the hyde of the giant Nauga, which are very rare animals! Welcome Batt Guy!
Never gonna make you cry...

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:47 pm

gnat wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:14 am

Took another look at the pdf of the 996 introductory brochure, and it does refer to the seats as leather, both in the text and in the color chart. My guess is that the seat faces only are real leather, and the sides and backs are vinyl (P-Tex, Naugahyde, leatherette, whatever). That would make sense as even today Porsche calls the base interior "partial leather" and then names the various upgrades. Frankly I wish the seat facings were tex, as then I would not have to get the driver's seat repaired. But certainly this is not "plush" leather - pretty basic.
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Base model '99C4 - the inserts and headrest are indeed man-made materials, but there's a decent amount of dead animal built into each seat.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:14 am

Bringing an old thread back to life, I'm actually picking up my 996 today! Between my travel schedule, parts shipping delays and the indy going on vacation this turned into a month-long wait. But all the work is done and just waiting for it to get cleaned up. Will post some pictures once I actually have it.
Also will post the "option" sticker for laughs...
Should be a good day today!!
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 pm

OK, I actually have my car finally! And it is great. Drives perfect, amazing what a difference replacing a near-worn-out clutch makes in drivability. Couple of little things that I will need to address but overall could not be happier. Specs - 1999 Cabrio with 71,900 miles, six speed, no options. At some point the sport design wheels were added (probably when new at the dealership) and a CD changer installed.

I was surprised how much squeaking the hard top generates, but the roads here are complete shit which may explain some of that. Guess that I may have to pull the hard top and put something on the rubber seals?

This car is fast. Amazing for 20 years old... Now I really will be asking a ton of stupid questions so you have been warned!

First stupid question - how do I attach a picture????
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Battery Guy wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 pm OK, I actually have my car finally! And it is great. Drives perfect, amazing what a difference replacing a near-worn-out clutch makes in drivability. Couple of little things that I will need to address but overall could not be happier. Specs - 1999 Cabrio with 71,900 miles, six speed, no options. At some point the sport design wheels were added (probably when new at the dealership) and a CD changer installed.

I was surprised how much squeaking the hard top generates, but the roads here are complete shit which may explain some of that. Guess that I may have to pull the hard top and put something on the rubber seals?

This car is fast. Amazing for 20 years old... Now I really will be asking a ton of stupid questions so you have been warned!

First stupid question - how do I attach a picture????
Daryll
Looking forward to more stories of new adventures in your 996. Post lots of pics.

How? Two step process - 1. under "Attachment" tab, select "Add Files". Then locate the picture on your computer and select "choose". Then, the 2nd step... 2. Once the image loads, the file along with a "place inline" button will show under the "add files" button. Then select "Place inline" once it fully loads. Now it should embed on the the post.