Porsha Screens?

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Porsha Screens?

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:11 pm

I've seen this on my facebook feed a couple times. They are screens that go over the duct work that leads to the radiators. It seems to make it easier to clean because you don't have to remove the bumper. It comes with an attachment for your vacuum cleaner to get in and clear the screen, but I would probably want to take the bumper off once a year or so anyway.

My main concern (other than not being able to find a price) is that by their own admission air flow is reduced to 70%. He waves a hand at it, calling it "ok" but is it? I also wonder whether airflow is less than 70%, especially when material accumulates there.

Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Porsha Screens?

Post by gnat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:42 pm

Haven't seen that one before. Usually the screens go directly in the grill.

That mesh looks open enough that I'm surprised that it has any significant impact on airflow. Similarly it looks open enough that I'd expect you are still going to get plenty of crap in the rads. Probably no birds or frogs wedged between them, but still plenty of dirt and stuff.

The other difference between other products is that since this is set back against the radiators, it is still going to allow stuff to pile up and be retained in there which will decrease air flow. With the in-grill versions it's kept out altogether and anything stuck is much more noticeable and easy to remove.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:54 pm

They probably miss-spelled PORSHA to avoid copyright problems. ;) I went with the Rennline grill screens
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:37 pm

I like the idea. Don't care for the screen in the grill look, so this is like a win win.

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:12 am

Jake said, "every car that comes to his shop with screens, leaves without them".
FSI-R40

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:13 pm

That would piss me off. I bet it would piss Jake off, too. Thankfully, I'll never have that particular excuse to be angry about something since I'm not gonna strap that mess to the front of my car.

I do not fall into the "z0mg Prosh are engineering gods" camp, so I'm not going to go full-auto "if it was better to have a screen, they would install a screen at the factory" on y'all or anything...but these screens (even the Hurdi version) have always seemed to me a solution desperate for a problem. I've cleaned out the condensers/radiators twice in 5 years, so it's not exactly a crushing amount of manual labor, and other than having to dispose of a mummified sparrow, surprisingly large chunks of construction foam, and a whole lot of cigarette butts and pine needles, there's been no damage of any kind to cosmetic or mechanical parts. I'm hard-pressed to justify spending any money to prevent nothing from happening again in the future...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:38 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:13 pm That would piss me off. I bet it would piss Jake off, too. Thankfully, I'll never have that particular excuse to be angry about something since I'm not gonna strap that mess to the front of my car.

I do not fall into the "z0mg Prosh are engineering gods" camp, so I'm not going to go full-auto "if it was better to have a screen, they would install a screen at the factory" on y'all or anything...but these screens (even the Hurdi version) have always seemed to me a solution desperate for a problem. I've cleaned out the condensers/radiators twice in 5 years, so it's not exactly a crushing amount of manual labor, and other than having to dispose of a mummified sparrow, surprisingly large chunks of construction foam, and a whole lot of cigarette butts and pine needles, there's been no damage of any kind to cosmetic or mechanical parts. I'm hard-pressed to justify spending any money to prevent nothing from happening again in the future...
You couldn't get PeePeeEye to eat the deceased sparrow? I thought you said he eats anything.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:30 pm

The bird incident pre-dated the mutt's arrival.

He happily eats cat turds; I can't imagine a sparrow corpse would seem especially off-putting.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:50 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:30 pm He happily eats cat turds;
TMI, dude. Just TMI.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:58 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:50 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:30 pm He happily eats cat turds;
TMI, dude. Just TMI.
Yeah I know, right!? Then he lets the dog lick his nose. Yucky!
Never gonna make you cry...