What's in your toolbag?

Einsteiger

Re: What's in your toolbag?

Post by Einsteiger » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:47 am

Dramamine, first aid kit, cooler full of Red Bull............
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:04 pm
DTMiller wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:12 pm

Oh man, I take so much and use so little.

Torque wrench. Set of sockets. Breaker bar. Jack, jack stands. Most of the time someone else's jack is already out and I just use that. Tire pressure gauge. Case of scotch.
FIFY
I did show up to that track day with a growler. DT believed me when I told him it was just tea...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:19 am

gnat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 am I did show up to that track day with a growler. DT believed me when I told him it was just tea...
believe.gif
believe.gif (2.74 MiB) Viewed 4432 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Dgi 07
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Dgi 07 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:17 am

Amex and AAA card.

I'd rather work on my heap back at the shop. ! :lol:
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Dgi 07 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:17 am Amex and AAA card.

I'd rather work on my heap back at the shop. ! :lol:
I think I'm on the same wave length as you. I'm not bringing spare parts with me, so I don't see a huge advantage to bring anything more than (tool wise): Spare oil, spare coolant, torque wrench, 19mm socket, milwaukee cordless impact, milwaukee cordless tire inflator, chalk, and a tire pressure gauge.

If anyone think my tool kit is missing anything...let me know. I will have the spare tire and kit well, just fyi.

I will be going to button willow for my first time (DE as a bday gift for my brother in law), and don't see myself capable of pushing the car anywhere near its limits.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:45 pm

I think it depends on how involved you are. For most of us (especially those relatively close to their home/shop) the "call it a day and tow it home" approach is probably pretty reasonable, if a little annoying.

For more serious people (like DT and Cuda) or where you are too far for a tow to be reasonable, then being able to fix at least minor stuff in the paddock is probably more prudent so you aren't looking at a 3 day weekend blown out early Friday due to something silly.

Or there is DT's approach. Run a Miata so that when the brakes/tires are done he simply parks it in a ditch and walks to the nearest car dealer to get a "new" one :lol:

In the end it's probably the same equation as which car/how aggressive to track. How much can you afford to write off? It's different for everyone.

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:52 pm

So those cordless Milwaukee tire inflators really work? I was wondering if they had enough guts to do the job. Beats having to find or bring a compressor. ;)
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:52 pm So those cordless Milwaukee tire inflators really work? I was wondering if they had enough guts to do the job. Beats having to find or bring a compressor. ;)
I can attest that the inflator that comes with cars that have a DIY spare does actually work. It's slow and it gets damn hot, but it does work.

Added 15lbs to the P!g's tires for it's AutoX day. Took like 10 minutes per tire...

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:52 pm So those cordless Milwaukee tire inflators really work? I was wondering if they had enough guts to do the job. Beats having to find or bring a compressor. ;)
A guy at one of my recent events had one. The pressure gauge built into it was garbage but it put air in the tires.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:12 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:45 pm I think it depends on how involved you are. For most of us (especially those relatively close to their home/shop) the "call it a day and tow it home" approach is probably pretty reasonable, if a little annoying.

For more serious people (like DT and Cuda) or where you are too far for a tow to be reasonable, then being able to fix at least minor stuff in the paddock is probably more prudent so you aren't looking at a 3 day weekend blown out early Friday due to something silly.

Or there is DT's approach. Run a Miata so that when the brakes/tires are done he simply parks it in a ditch and walks to the nearest car dealer to get a "new" one :lol:

In the end it's probably the same equation as which car/how aggressive to track. How much can you afford to write off? It's different for everyone.
Totally get it. The guy camping in his toter home for three days at AAA Speedway will bring a pitbox/tool cart. Probably going through pads and tires within that weekend.

My goal at Button Willow is wake up early, drive three hours there, have some fun, learn some stuff, and drive back home. This will be my very first step into getting on a track. As the hobby grows, I'm sure what I bring will as well. Right now most of the fun money will be funneled into a good helmet before I take the plunge into another rabbit hole. I think there are a lot of people in the same situation, so we'll call it the newbie track wanna be tool kit.

I will probably bring my laptop and durametric as well since why not.