What's in your toolbag?

DTMiller
"Special"

Re: What's in your toolbag?

Post by DTMiller » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:14 pm

sweet victory wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:36 pm
Dgi 07 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:17 am Amex and AAA card.

I'd rather work on my heap back at the shop. ! :lol:
I think I'm on the same wave length as you. I'm not bringing spare parts with me, so I don't see a huge advantage to bring anything more than (tool wise): Spare oil, spare coolant, torque wrench, 19mm socket, milwaukee cordless impact, milwaukee cordless tire inflator, chalk, and a tire pressure gauge.

If anyone think my tool kit is missing anything...let me know. I will have the spare tire and kit well, just fyi.

I will be going to button willow for my first time (DE as a bday gift for my brother in law), and don't see myself capable of pushing the car anywhere near its limits.
Yeah, I have a ton of spares and the tools to install them I carry with me but unless something breaks very early in the day I just put the car on the trailer. I have too much else going on during an event to worry if the replacement hub was done right. That said, I have replaced a clutch slave cylinder in about 15 minutes and sent it immediately thereafter.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:35 pm

sweet victory wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:12 pm My goal at Button Willow is wake up early, drive three hours there, have some fun, learn some stuff, and drive back home. This will be my very first step into getting on a track.
Exactly what I did. The tools I had with me comprised the entirety of what comes in the factory tool bag.

I was carrying a "spare" IMSB though :lol:
I will probably bring my laptop and durametric as well since why not.
YMMV, but consider where you will leave it while not on the track. You can't have it loose in the cabin and I wouldn't recommend a laptop bouncing around the frunk during track time (unless you are looking for an excuse for a new laptop).

I'm sure DT would have let me stash anything valuable in his RV had I had something and asked, but I would not plan on any secure storage. I'd like to say all track people are good and wouldn't steal from each other, but I've heard the stories of the NJ BMW chapter and the BS they pull (tossing dead batteries and tires in the woods during a Summit Point event) so I know not all are good people :(

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:45 pm

gnat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:35 pm
sweet victory wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:12 pm My goal at Button Willow is wake up early, drive three hours there, have some fun, learn some stuff, and drive back home. This will be my very first step into getting on a track.
Exactly what I did. The tools I had with me comprised the entirety of what comes in the factory tool bag.

I was carrying a "spare" IMSB though :lol:
I will probably bring my laptop and durametric as well since why not.
YMMV, but consider where you will leave it while not on the track. You can't have it loose in the cabin and I wouldn't recommend a laptop bouncing around the frunk during track time (unless you are looking for an excuse for a new laptop).

I'm sure DT would have let me stash anything valuable in his RV had I had something and asked, but I would not plan on any secure storage. I'd like to say all track people are good and wouldn't steal from each other, but I've heard the stories of the NJ BMW chapter and the BS they pull (tossing dead batteries and tires in the woods during a Summit Point event) so I know not all are good people :(
My brother in law will be bringing his evo 10. If we have to be on track at the same time, we'll probably have an extra friend or two tag along, so hopefully they can watch our junk. Not too worried about that part. :)

I'll have to remember I get the AAA gold card for the additional free tow miles, just in case. :lol:

Dgi 07

Post by Dgi 07 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:18 pm

sweet victory wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:45 pm I'll have to remember I get the AAA gold card for the additional free tow miles, just in case. :lol:
That is alway my plan.

For me, it just makes more sense. I don't do track days so no real reason to have a toolbag in the car.
If it breaks and I'm on the road, AAA tow it to the shop. I have just about every tool I would need to fix it there, including a 2 post lift.

The most that's in the car is the spare tire kit.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:11 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:41 am What tool do you have in your toolbag that you think is worth its weight in gold? Maybe it's a certain brand of torque wrench that has served flawlessly for 20 years, making it a trusted workshop companion and also a good value, even if it was a bit pricey when you bought it.
I'll start with the new breed of lithium ion jump boxes/battery backups. There a bunch of models that have just come onto the market in the past couple of years. Recently, I purchased a Weego Professional. Actually, I bought 4 of them - one for my car, my wife's and both of my driving age sons' cars. It has a ton of connectors to allow it to serve as a battery backup for your cell phones and laptops as well. They hold a charge for 6 to 12 months and you can just keep them in your glovebox (or door pockets for you Mk I guys) for that time when you battery gives up the ghost. They were on sale at walmart.com last week, discount from $160 to $58. Unfortunately, I just checked, and the price is back up to $136. Again, there many models out there and the newer ones are no larger than a cellphone. Great tool to have.c04f74a2-28ac-421f-a382-3a0e86821168_1.ff9f684238d4028a1fe0586c3e340a87.jpeg
I picked one of these up shortly after you made that post, but finally had cause to use it today.

Either it is not as user friendly as it seems, or it doesn't like the 996. I can't get it to energize the emergency power from the foot well so I can pop the frunk open :( Blue lights say it has a full charge (charged it a couple months ago) when I turn it on, but nutin :?

Will try it's actual jump ability later this evening after taking some proper jump cables to the emergency pin.

Edit: Ugh. Reading up on it I'm finding lots of complaints about the Weego jump packs. Apparently they have a protection circuit that does not allow them to work with a completely flat battery. WTF is the point of a jump pack that only jumps live batteries :? :?

sweet victory

Post by sweet victory » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:08 pm

If you're in the market for a replacement battery pack, I would recommend the 1000amp Noco. https://amzn.to/2V8fOVS

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Ditto for NOCO. Love mine.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:34 pm

I'll stick with jumper cables and my AAA card :lol:

Actually the car is in a bad way. Hooked the BMW up and the alarm started going off. Manual says that's normal, but never had that happen before. Manual also says I should be able to shut it up by locking and unlocking it, but the central locking isn't working and it also wouldn't open the frunk :(

Of course I can't find/reach the manual release cables either :roll:

I'll pull the horn fuse tomorrow and try again to see if I can get it to play nice.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pm

gnat wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:34 pm I'll stick with jumper cables and my AAA card :lol:

Actually the car is in a bad way. Hooked the BMW up and the alarm started going off. Manual says that's normal, but never had that happen before. Manual also says I should be able to shut it up by locking and unlocking it, but the central locking isn't working and it also wouldn't open the frunk :(

Of course I can't find/reach the manual release cables either :roll:

I'll pull the horn fuse tomorrow and try again to see if I can get it to play nice.
I thought I was the only dipshit that couldn't jump start a car.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:32 pm

DTMiller wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pm I thought I was the only dipshit that couldn't jump start a car.
Hey I already admitted to not knowing about the rear jump points so you wouldn't feel quite as big of an idiot.

And it's not that I couldn't jump it, I simply can't get to any terminals right now.