996 on Wheeler Dealers!

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

996 on Wheeler Dealers!

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:32 pm

There is mention of this on the other forum, but I thought we might want to discuss as well. If you're not familiar with Wheeler Dealers, its a British show where they buy an interesting car, fix it up a bit, then sell it. Noteworthy as a "reality" show for focusing on interesting things about the cars and the fixes, rather than drama.

In any case, a 2000 996 cab is the first car they are doing this season, which is on Wednesday night for me. Here's a description from my cable company:

Mike introduces the Porsche 996, an amazing car, but one with a recurring problem that can lead to catastrophic engine failure; while Ant future-proofs the car, Mike adds some interior class.
Any guesses as to the "recurring problem"? I am thinking RMS, since it's straightforward thing to explain and fix. They may tackle the IMS, although I think that would be a bit more complicated.

Still, rarely do they do a car without mentioning what makes the car interesting. Should be a good show regardless.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: 996 on Wheeler Dealers!

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:33 pm

I have a hazy recollection of there being a 986 Boxster on the same show a couple of seasons ago - it had been sitting in a driveway long enough for moss to be growing in the cab top, so I figured it was an IMS dump job...but as I recall, it turned out OK.

That episode had some details about repainting worn seat bolsters - pretty sure that's why I committed it to memory.

I'll definitely check out the 996 episode!

As far as the "recurring problem" - I'm going with IMS. The rear main seal issue got a lot of press early on (since nobody wants their new 911 to leak oil), but I wouldn't rate it a catastrophic problem in its own right - really it was was just a placeholder while owners waited for the REAL issues to crop up. :D

If they DID retrofit the IMSB, I'll be curious to find out which one they used. The roller bearing retrofit gets a lot more love in the UK than it does here...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 pm

There were reports of RMS failures taking out the engine in the early days, but given what we know now I'd bet those were IMS or other issues and the easy collateral damage got the blame.

I didn't realize the show was going on after Edd left. Was actually a decent show as they had a tendency to show love to the unloved (like the 996).

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:51 pm

According to Direct TV this episode is airing Wednesday. Looking forward to seeing how they do. Just watched an episode with the new guy that replaced Edd and it was actually decent (they pretty much restored a Jeep Grand Wagoneer and it turned out good).
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 am

Found a preview, hope this works:

Looks like they're going to tackle the IMS! Mike says its 'broken," whatever that means. The reverse lights also don't work, so it looks like they are going to do a job I've actually done (fix the reverse light switch on the tranny)! I'm inordinately excited about that.

Also, a 'grumble' from the rear. Drive shaft? Exhaust related?
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am

This is going to be interesting!

Renn Meister

Post by Renn Meister » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Wow. That IMS Solution install made me cringe.
There's not much more they could have done wrong.

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:52 am

I was pleasantly surprised. They didn't avoid some of the more complicated jobs like they've done in the past. His explanation of what the IMS shaft actually is was probably interesting to viewers who didn't know. They only have an hour, so maybe they skipped some of the steps, but I still thought it was a good show. K&N stock probably took a hit, ha.

When they said they were going to wrap the console in leather, I thought that sounded terrible. It came out nicer than I thought. For $600 I wonder how long it'll last.

As usual, pretty complimentary of the car. Lots of comments about the 'purists' who don't consider the 996 a true 911 full of bollocks. Also some nice comments about prices rising.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:47 am

Renn Meister wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:01 pm Wow. That IMS Solution install made me cringe.
There's not much more they could have done wrong.
Yea, Jake.

This is typical of "entertained style" car shows that leave a lot out on purpose. I know your frustration because this could cause a ton of questions to be emailed through your ticket system and all. Stuff like, "Mr. Raby I watched the Wheeler Dealer show and they didn't put the crank in TDC, is that still required?" Ugh!

What got me was when he was about to mount the IMS Solution flange on without the shim and snap ring in place. That was clearly shown on camera. Ouch. The producers left out a lot of important steps like after putting it in TDC, locking cams, and pulling the tensioners. I didn't even see him use a flywheel locking tool. I didn't expect him to pre-qualify the car, but at least he thought the IMS Solution was "brilliant!" It was also good to see him explain the value of replacing the RMS and AOS when doing a job like this.

I'm happy they chose to keep the show positive overall and avoided the whole "Fried Egg Headlight" madness. I haven't watched the show in years, but this new guy is rather entertaining and that's what the producers want these days. Technical videos are for the serious mechanics and even the DIY crowd, not the arm-chair enthusiasts.

Jake: I wouldn't sweat the lack of technical detail that you insist on in the workshop manual. But if it concerns you enough, I'll drive down and we can produce a short analysis of the show from YOUR prospective and post to Rennvision.

DTMiller
"Special"

Post by DTMiller » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:59 pm

The leather work was really interesting to watch.

I love that the IMS bearing work was done with less precision than I take with my trailer bearings.
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time