Coolant leak: time for some maintenance...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Coolant leak: time for some maintenance...

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:19 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 am
32wildbilly wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:53 am Hey...now! Don't pick on Honda Civics! The Toyota Camry is supposed to be the car of derision.
Take it easy - I was just referring to the base model Civic. Not the high end Civic XR4Ti model like yours.

This just in - found a rare video clip of Billy, DTM and gnat loading Billy's Civic up to head out for a track day:
Yeah, well at least we didn't turn it over...yet!
Never gonna make you cry...

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:24 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:41 am
Battery Guy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:04 pm Update on the water pump - the pump was gone when I got to the shop for the coolant top up. But all seems good now, so will keep driving and fixing other stuff. Next project is to get my convertible top back in alignment.
Ugh...
Daryll
There will always be something else that needs to be done. It's the nature of the beast. Kind of like being perpetually stuck in an escape room - you're always trying to figure out the solution to a problem. But, where would the fun be if it was like a Honda Civic and never needed anything, right?
Very true. I bought this car knowing that it needed a few things that I could do, and had sat for a while and would probably need some catch-up maintenance. Tomorrow will install my new (used) roll bar cover that I got from DC Auto fixing a very ugly cosmetic issue. The top is another issue - probably well beyond my abilities, and the good convertible top guy in town can’t get to it until September. Will see if someone else can look at it - may need new cables, not sure. Like you said, always something but really enjoy the car.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:21 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:02 am This just in - found a rare video clip of Billy, DTM and gnat loading Billy's Civic up to head out for a track day:

racin' Civic.gif

WHY DID YOU TURN?
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:23 am

Finally got some time Saturday to get this dealt with.

This was the root cause - this barbed fitting was cracked and leaking coolant. I don't know if this fitting was replaced in the updated part or if this was from an ancient repair; either way, this plastic does not seem to like being heat-cycled in coolant for years.
000.png
000.png (127.11 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
The new part eliminates this joint fitting and reduces the number of hose clamps required by one...one less future potential leak location.

Slurping up three gallons of freshly-mixed coolant to replace what I drained off...
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (646.48 KiB) Viewed 1792 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 am

"ACH! Fritz, mein herr, dis coolant vitting is not correct for da hot coolant! Will break for sure, mit die coolant leaking everywhere!"

"Hans, you vill not be worried. Wit all the otter issues in dis motor, no one will haf the car long enough for the vitting to go kaput."
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Heh. When I noticed the second hose clamp, I was struck with the sensation of..."aw, goddamn."

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.