Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:11 pm

Trying again to swap cars through the shop (BMW is proving to be a PITA about it's mirror) and including ours there are 3 996.1s in the lot. The other 2 are cabs, Speed Yellow and Lapis Blue.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:50 pm

POS BMW is complaining that I don't drive it enough. The battery in the key is apparently almost dead, but of course it doesn't have a user replaceable battery :roll:

It's supposed to charge when you drive, but since I do my best to not drive it...

At 13 years I'd chalk it up to a pretty good battery life, but as BMW wants $4-500 for a new key :x

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am

gnat wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:50 pm POS BMW is complaining that I don't drive it enough. The battery in the key is apparently almost dead, but of course it doesn't have a user replaceable battery :roll:

It's supposed to charge when you drive, but since I do my best to not drive it...

At 13 years I'd chalk it up to a pretty good battery life, but as BMW wants $4-500 for a new key :x
Interesting. My BMW is four years old and the key fobs are working fine. But my GTI is only three years old and I have already replaced batteries in both fobs twice. Did not realize that the BMW has a "lifetime" key fob battery. At some point I need to get new guts for one of my Porsche key fobs - when I opened it up it was literally missing all the pieces except fortunately for the "pill" so it still starts the car. Guess the PO did not use the power locks for a long time.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:38 am

Battery Guy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am Did not realize that the BMW has a "lifetime" key fob battery.
More annoyingly around the lifetime of the e90s (though maybe before and after too, can't quite tell without really digging) they had two different keys. One (comfort access) takes a standard 2032 coin while the other charges while it's plugged into the dash.

What really sucks is that mostly all I can find is information about the key with the 2032 battery. I did find one case where someone showed using a phone wireless charger, but they showed it using a different style key (don't know if it was newer or older) and my phone pads didn't respond when I put the key on them :(

Given the price of a new key you can bet that when it finally dies on me that I'm cutting that little bastard open to see if I can identify the battery, replace it, and then print myself a new shell.

Though I'd rather she just sell the damn thing. I mean seriously. Who turns down "here is a bucket of money, go buy a Porsche" to hang on to a POS 13yr old BMW sedan :? :? Women... :roll:

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:01 am

gnat wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:38 am
Battery Guy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:14 am Did not realize that the BMW has a "lifetime" key fob battery.
More annoyingly around the lifetime of the e90s (though maybe before and after too, can't quite tell without really digging) they had two different keys. One (comfort access) takes a standard 2032 coin while the other charges while it's plugged into the dash.

What really sucks is that mostly all I can find is information about the key with the 2032 battery. I did find one case where someone showed using a phone wireless charger, but they showed it using a different style key (don't know if it was newer or older) and my phone pads didn't respond when I put the key on them :(

Given the price of a new key you can bet that when it finally dies on me that I'm cutting that little bastard open to see if I can identify the battery, replace it, and then print myself a new shell.

Though I'd rather she just sell the damn thing. I mean seriously. Who turns down "here is a bucket of money, go buy a Porsche" to hang on to a POS 13yr old BMW sedan :? :? Women... :roll:
Just examined my BMW fob (that sounds really bad...) and do not see any way to get it open. The case halves appear to be glued together, or at least it fits so tight that I did not want to break it. Also there is no pry slot to pop it open. But on F30's there is no place to put the key in the dash, so it definitely does not charge while driving. Looks like an expensive replacement at some point in the hopefully distant future. If yours lasted 13 years that makes me feel better. Likely this car will be around for a long time as BMW is no longer going to sell wagons or hatchbacks in the US - only SUV's. If I was to get a new SUV it would be a Macan, not a BMW.
D
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:27 am

Battery Guy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:01 am Likely this car will be around for a long time as BMW is no longer going to sell wagons or hatchbacks in the US - only SUV's. If I was to get a new SUV it would be a Macan, not a BMW.
What???? We've colloquially been calling 5 series wagons "Bastards!" for a long time as they stopped bring them over just before I started my search that resulted in the the P!g. The 5 wagon would have fit all of my original requirements except for being a diesel. That's just crap if they are killing off the 3 wagon too (wife has considered that as a possible replacement for the e90).

The couple of times I've had a Macan loaner I've been impressed with it. My only complaint (which I have to a lesser degree with the P!g) is the rake of the D pillar means that the back area is effectively useless for medium sized dogs as it prevents them from standing up. There is also less leg room in the rear seats, but that isn't an issue for 2 young boys right now.

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:15 pm

gnat wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:27 am
Battery Guy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:01 am Likely this car will be around for a long time as BMW is no longer going to sell wagons or hatchbacks in the US - only SUV's. If I was to get a new SUV it would be a Macan, not a BMW.
What???? We've colloquially been calling 5 series wagons "Bastards!" for a long time as they stopped bring them over just before I started my search that resulted in the the P!g. The 5 wagon would have fit all of my original requirements except for being a diesel. That's just crap if they are killing off the 3 wagon too (wife has considered that as a possible replacement for the e90).

The couple of times I've had a Macan loaner I've been impressed with it. My only complaint (which I have to a lesser degree with the P!g) is the rake of the D pillar means that the back area is effectively useless for medium sized dogs as it prevents them from standing up. There is also less leg room in the rear seats, but that isn't an issue for 2 young boys right now.
Crazy as it sounds, BMW is killing off the 3 wagon in the US and the 3GT as well. Likely the 6GT will go away soon too. So basically if you want a hatchback, you buy a SUV. We have been really happy with our 3GT - it is fast, drives nice and has a stupid amount of cargo space with the seats folded down. My only complaint was that it was not available with a stick, but at least you could get the big engine.
I’ve not driven a Macan, but a bunch of the local PCA people have them as daily drivers and like them. But I think my 3GT probably has more back seat and storage room. We do still have our 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee if we need more hauling space - of course it has been in the shop for three weeks for de-carbonization of the intake manifold. Kind of like your deal with the body shop - I let my indy have it for fill in work as long as he needed, for a lower price on a high labor repair. Stupid MB diesel :cry:
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black

ShowMeThePorsche

Post by ShowMeThePorsche » Sat May 02, 2020 5:23 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:30 am
ShowMeThePorsche wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:31 pm

Thank you! This looks like fun.
Just so that you know, this thread is the "hub" of the website. It makes no sense, but it is kind of the catch-all thread. If you aren't sure where to post something, stick it in here (other than politics, that is). Don't worry if it isn't a "tech" related comment.

The "Irrelevant" forum is where to go if you want to waste some time ("You're Drunk Internet, Go Home" is good for a couple of hours of laughs). If you want to argue politics, that's the place.

You might also want to go to the "DIY Repairs, Hacks and Other Greasy Activities" forum. Directly underneath the forum title, you will see a subforum for "Maintenance Logs - One Thread per Car". Start a thread for your car and as you do things to your car, log it into there. It will be a great tool for you not only to remember what you've done to the car, but should you ever decide to sell it, you can direct potential buyers there to see the documentation of everything done to it. You might also pick up some tips in your thread about the maintenance or issues you have with your car. It really is a great tool to use.

Lastly, we'd love to see a new member "Introduction" thread that covers both you and the car. I suspect there are a ton of pics from the BAT auction you could post until you actually get the car in your possession. Hint - we like pics!

Show us.gif
Alright, I'm a little late posting this but I picked up the car last week and drove her home! My wife absolutely did not want to fly, so we drove 800 miles down, and 800 miles back. A lot of fun. Also, we didn't want to drive a boring SUV all that way, so we "rented" an RS5.

Trying this post on my phone, let's see if I can figure out how to add pics
IMG_20200426_130319.jpg
IMG_20200426_130332.jpg
IMG_20200428_112000.jpg
IMG_20200430_105432.jpg

Einsteiger
He's Back and He's Angry

Post by Einsteiger » Sat May 02, 2020 5:38 am

Very nice. Awesome trip, too.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Metallic
OP Kansas

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Sun May 03, 2020 8:14 pm

ShowMeThePorsche wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:23 am Alright, I'm a little late posting this but I picked up the car last week and drove her home! My wife absolutely did not want to fly, so we drove 800 miles down, and 800 miles back. A lot of fun. Also, we didn't want to drive a boring SUV all that way, so we "rented" an RS5.

Trying this post on my phone, let's see if I can figure out how to add pics
Very nice - matching convertibles! The 996 looks great. Congratulations! Don’t be a stranger!
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver