Radiator fans...

JohnIreland

Radiator fans...

Post by JohnIreland » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Curious which way they blow. With the engine up to full temp, I can feel the fans blowing outward, pushing the hot air out through the front. That seems counter productive. Shouldn't they be sucking cool air in, and blowing it out down below?

When I first got my 308, it was running hotter than it should in heavy traffic, and only ran normal temps at highway speed. It seems one of the two fans was reconnected improperly, the wires connected in reverse. So rather than sucking cool air in, it was pushing back against the flow of cool outside air, which interfered with air flow and make the car run hot.

On my 996, when driving on open road at 50 mph in 80, 90, even 98 degrees temp, I find the temp needle on the far left part of the 0 in 180. Oil pressure looks fine when fully warm, 1 bar or a little more at idle, goes up a bar with each thousand rpms, up to 4 to 4.2 at 4 to 5k rpms. After slowing down and driving in normal traffic, the needle dropped down to the middle of the 0. I would have thought that will less natural air flow going to the radiator, the car would run hotter at low traffic speeds, and cooler at higher speeds.

The temps right now aren't out of line with the temp readings in my previous 2000 996 Cab with tiptronic...and the tips have the third radiator. So not something I actually worried about, more a matter of curiosity about the normal way a 911 works.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Radiator fans...

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:02 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:55 pm Curious which way they blow. With the engine up to full temp, I can feel the fans blowing outward, pushing the hot air out through the front. That seems counter productive. Shouldn't they be sucking cool air in, and blowing it out down below?
Yes...
Never gonna make you cry...