Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:48 pm

I’ve heard good things about that bearing company. Anyone represented stateside by Dewey, Cheatham & Howe is all right by me...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 am

ElSchnell wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm You anti-Corvette people are just...makeists. What's next? Going to burn a Chevrolet logo on my lawn?

Sick.
Well, I had an 81 Vette other than being a chick magnet it was worthless. Smog equipment choked. I've owned motorcycles with more horsepower!

Ok I know that was a long time ago, but have a friend who bought one. He claims it is a piece, but when it runs it scares him to death. So that does sound interesting. His main complaint is it does not like batteries.
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 am

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 am
ElSchnell wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm You anti-Corvette people are just...makeists. What's next? Going to burn a Chevrolet logo on my lawn?

Sick.
Well, I had an 81 Vette other than being a chick magnet it was worthless. Smog equipment choked. I've owned motorcycles with more horsepower!
I must admit, the whole idea behind the "smog pump" back in the 70s and 80s cars, was nothing more than a political response to pacify the regulators and eco nuts. Those things would kill performance and lower the efficiency of the motor. We would take the smog pumps off only to find that the motor ran better and stronger... and, get a little better gas mileage too.

Hey Schnelly... Re: the Corvette harassment. Maybe you should consider movin' to the south. Talkin' bad about any of the American muscle cars (including the vette) will get you butt whooped down here. You'd be protected! Funny thang, they put all foreign others into the snooty reject corner. Man, if you pull up in a 911 next to an ol' Chevelle, Fairlane, etc.... it's WAR!

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

Heh. I'm not hung up on the anti-Corvette sentiment that runs deep with the Porsche crowd. After all, who in their right mind would want to own a car that is as fast as a 996, cost half as much new, can take abuse all day long, every day, without self-destructing, and for which a crate motor can be sourced for less than the cost of an IMS retrofit?

When my Corvette suddenly starts making a lot of smoke, I just flip the line lock switch off. That's nowhere near as much fun as standing by the side of the road, wringing my hands and waiting for a flatbed...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:49 am

ElSchnell wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am Heh. I'm not hung up on the anti-Corvette sentiment that runs deep with the Porsche crowd.
Nah. I'm not anti-Vette. I'm anti-Schnelly :-P

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:55 am

Also in favor of the Vette is the old saying from the owners "On a warm humid night you can hear a Porsche rusting..."
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:31 am

ElSchnell wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am a crate motor can be sourced for less than the cost of an IMS retrofit?
Shoot... You could even purchase another vette for the price of IMS retrofit service. ha!

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

I had to admit defeat with a DIY Mercedes repair last week. Was driving home a month ago, AC shut off, battery warning came on the dash. Car made it home.

Parked the car.Turned on the voltage screen, saw that voltage was not going up with car started= alternator or voltage regulator. Read the DIY on VR replacement, seemed very easy. Jack the car, take off the covers, remove the alternator connectors...can't get the VR screws loose with a screwdriver. Try for a few hours more, end up stripping screws.

The only option is to remove the alternator as a whole to gain more leverage. I look up the E55 DIY, it is a massive PITA. I decide to leave the car alone while I go on vacation.

Come back from vacation, start removing bits and pieces. Removing fan assembly was like giving birth. Get to alternator removal, step says to use breaker bar to pry it out and try to squeeze it between hoses. Bottom left pulley is the alternator (not my picture, but gives you the idea). IT was dead stuck.

Reassembled the car back in defeat. AAA time.
Attachments
IMG_0985_zps5d4e9f08.jpg
IMG_0985_zps5d4e9f08.jpg (141.33 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am

Dang, I am an impressive artist.
image.jpg
image.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:52 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am
The only option is to remove the alternator as a whole to gain more leverage. I look up the E55 DIY, it is a massive PITA. I decide to leave the car alone while I go on vacation.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Don't they put the alt on the belly of these engines? Hard to reach and get any tool in there. Much like our 996 experiences.