Ok one more computer question...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Ok one more computer question...

Post by gnat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:09 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:55 am This is what I have now but I understand the I7 and 16gb and will go with that. I love the 13" version. Does the ghz on the core mean anything significant?
It seems to me that the base chip (i5, i7, i9) and number of cores has a lot more to do with it these days than raw Ghz. Things are pretty consistently multi-threaded these days so load can be spread well over multiple cores. Certainly there are things where an extra few hundred hertz makes a difference, but we are starting to get into edge case territory these days.

For reference when specing my MBP (before I jumped on the refurb) I went with an i9 on the "gonna keep it a long time" principle, but I didn't max out it's speed like I historically have. Other than it's the i9 processor I have no idea (and don't really care) what the speed actually is.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:17 am

I would get a one-year-newer device over a slightly older, slightly faster model. Since Apple's support lifecycle is based on the manufacturing date (i.e. "Early 2020"), I pick the newer of the two when deciding between two otherwise-nearly-identical PCs.

But this is all hair-splitting. Anything you get is going to be much better than what it replaces.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:24 am

Seems like all I have looked at are all May 2020 initial release. May must have been a bad month for Macs!
5chn3ll wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:17 am I would get a one-year-newer device over a slightly older, slightly faster model. Since Apple's support lifecycle is based on the manufacturing date (i.e. "Early 2020"), I pick the newer of the two when deciding between two otherwise-nearly-identical PCs.

But this is all hair-splitting. Anything you get is going to be much better than what it replaces.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:31 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:24 am Seems like all I have looked at are all May 2020 initial release. May must have been a bad month for Macs!
Nah. Even if it was bought in Oct just before the new ARM models were released it would still list as "May 2020". Also (especially for the 13s) much of this is the result of trade ins for the new ARM laptops rather than defects.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:38 pm

It's a great month for cheap-ass Mac users!

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.