Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by gnat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:38 am

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:10 am Last night, we had the best electrical storm in SoCal I've ever seen - and I've been here since the 70's. 4,000 lighting strikes across the region; more than 500 in SD county.
Really? That's it? In Florida that is called Tuesday.

Seriously though, I saw bits in the news that they were advising people to take shelter, but I didn't see numbers and so assumed it was a bad storm. I won't say such a storm is a regular occurrence here in VA, but we probably have 2 or 3 a year and nobody panics...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:48 am

In other news, my pop's house is right across the street from Huntington City Beach and his property adjoins the Bolsa Chica ecological reserve.

I think the locusts come next.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:32 am

If the locusts come then GTFO and come take refuge in Uncle Strangelove's plush shed before the "Big One" hits.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:38 am

I see the media keeps updating the possible spilled amount from 128k to 144k and that the leak probably started a day before it was reported. My guess is it is much higher than either of those figures. I like how the oil company is "suggesting" that the pipeline "might" have been damaged by a ship anchor..."Yeah that's the ticket...a ship anchor!"

What a freaking mess.
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:48 am In other news, my pop's house is right across the street from Huntington City Beach and his property adjoins the Bolsa Chica ecological reserve.

I think the locusts come next.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:02 pm

Container vessels have been lining up offshore of HB to get into LA / San Pedro since the beginning of the pandemic; it really wouldn't be much of a stretch to imagine that a cargo ship hooked the pipeline. It's estimated that half a million (!!!!!) containers are floating on ships waiting for a chance to unload.

The last time there was a major spill in HB, the source was a tanker that ran over its anchor and holed itself.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:12 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:10 am Last night, we had the best electrical storm in SoCal I've ever seen - and I've been here since the 70's. 4,000 lighting strikes across the region; more than 500 in SD county.
The Tripods are on the move.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm

Doin' the short-term rental thang? :D
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:32 am If the locusts come then GTFO and come take refuge in Uncle Strangelove's plush shed before the "Big One" hits.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm Doin' the short-term rental thang? :D
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) (whew!) wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:32 am If the locusts come then GTFO and come take refuge in Uncle Strangelove's plush shed before the "Big One" hits.

For a 5-star review I'll give you a week on me.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:37 pm

I don't know much about container ships but do they use the anchor to stop themselves rather than reversing the engines? How the hell can you run over your own anchor!!??

So Long Beach is where the container ships unload right? The location of the pipeline has to be known right? So why would one of those big azz ships cruise up and drop anchor over or even near the pipeline? Another question cause none of this makes sense to me. Wouldn't a ship know if it snagged a concrete surrounded pipeline while parking or moving off and dragged it 1,000 feet. WTF!

Sounds like an Exxon Valdez deal to me.
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:02 pm Container vessels have been lining up offshore of HB to get into LA / San Pedro since the beginning of the pandemic; it really wouldn't be much of a stretch to imagine that a cargo ship hooked the pipeline. It's estimated that half a million (!!!!!) containers are floating on ships waiting for a chance to unload.

The last time there was a major spill in HB, the source was a tanker that ran over its anchor and holed itself.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:18 pm

On ships of that size, holding outside of port is the only time the anchor really gets used. They use the anchor to hold themselves in place rather than having to have someone constantly adjust the engines. Lessens the fuel cost and the stress on the engines and crew.

As far as knowing they snagged something, that's kinda the point. Otherwise the boat will just drag it along the bottom.

As far as knowing where the pipe is, dunno. There is a lot of info like that which isn't shared, so it's possible that the ships had no idea.
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:37 pm I don't know much about container ships but do they use the anchor to stop themselves rather than reversing the engines? How the hell can you run over your own anchor!!??

So Long Beach is where the container ships unload right? The location of the pipeline has to be known right? So why would one of those big azz ships cruise up and drop anchor over or even near the pipeline? Another question cause none of this makes sense to me. Wouldn't a ship know if it snagged a concrete surrounded pipeline while parking or moving off and dragged it 1,000 feet. WTF!

Sounds like an Exxon Valdez deal to me.
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:02 pm Container vessels have been lining up offshore of HB to get into LA / San Pedro since the beginning of the pandemic; it really wouldn't be much of a stretch to imagine that a cargo ship hooked the pipeline. It's estimated that half a million (!!!!!) containers are floating on ships waiting for a chance to unload.