Tesla battery issue - smoke, then flash fire

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Tesla battery issue - smoke, then flash fire

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:37 pm

In addition to ensuring that all of the cells that could burn WOULD burn, watering a lithium fire like that generates all sorts of Blendtec(tm) ("don't breathe this!") byproducts.

Did I mention that an 18650 cell dropped into a crucible full of hot copper slag does cool shit?

Finally, Hot Copper Slag would be an awesome name for a rockabilly band.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:49 pm

Water + Lithium = Lithium Hydroxide + Hydrogen gas + heat. Enough heat to ignite the hydrogen gas, no flame required. Same thing happens with the other alkali metals like potassium and sodium.

Oh the fun we had with these metals in high school and college chemistry!
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 am

It seems like fire departments would send out memos about not hosing down burning Teslas with dihydrogen monoxide, a known accelerant.

This scenario makes those gull-wing rear doors with no manual override seem a lot less cool, at least to me.

Hotboxing with Elon Musk may not mean what it seems to mean.

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sweet victory » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:59 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 am It seems like fire departments would send out memos about not hosing down burning Teslas with dihydrogen monoxide, a known accelerant.

This scenario makes those gull-wing rear doors with no manual override seem a lot less cool, at least to me.

Hotboxing with Elon Musk may not mean what it seems to mean.
Pyrotechnic fasteners (like used on Mercedes' gull wing doors) were too expensive. The phenomena you described is an inherent safety feature that eliminates the need for costly pyrotechnical fasteners.

Sincerely,
Tesla Value Engineering Dept.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:44 am

Don't know what "got" her(crash or fire), but I think I'll stick with my internal combustion vehicles. Thank you very much.
Mother of five driving Tesla dies in fiery crash near elementary school, Ohio cops say

An Ohio school district is mourning the death of a mother of five who was killed in a car crash near an elementary school.

Officials say Christy Corder was driving a 2021 Tesla Model Y during the morning of Nov. 8 when it overturned after going off the side of the road, WLWT reported. The electric vehicle then caught fire, according to the TV station.

The car being electric complicated efforts in extinguishing the fire, Capt. Mike Masterson with the Pierce Township Fire Department told WCPO.

“A standard car fire, typically, once we get the fire extinguished, it’s out. It’s done, we’re good to go,” Masterson said. “What we’re finding with this one is the batteries are shorting out on us, and they just keep generating heat and keep reigniting.”
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:34 am

but...but they drive themselves.

Go to space in his stuff? Not me.
Business Insider
Tesla makes some of the least reliable cars, Consumer Reports says. See which brands came out on top.
Tesla and Lincoln came in last, while Lexus, Mazda, and Toyota were named the most reliable brands.

The world's most valuable car company makes some of the least reliable vehicles on the road, according to Consumer Reports' annual reliability study.

Electric-vehicle maker Tesla, which is now worth more than $1 trillion, ranked 27th out of the 28 brands Consumer Reports considered this year. Lincoln was the sole brand that got a lower reliability score from the nonprofit organization.

Consumer Reports uses surveys to find out the types of issues vehicle owners have experienced in the last 12 months. It uses that data to predict how reliable carmakers' 2022 models will be and gives each vehicle a score.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am

Did you read the article - Jalopnik, maybe? - where Tesla is delivering cars with empty sockets where USB ports are supposed to be? Rather than hold delivery because of the chip supply issue, Tesla is delivering mostly-assembled vehicles to customers. But don't worry, it'll be "free" to get those missing ports installed later. I'm sure it will only be a minor inconvenience.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:35 am

Dude found a way to "fix" his $22k battery problem. Start vid at about 5 minutes for the fun.

https://news.yahoo.com/watch-tesla-owne ... 12290.html

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:54 am

I've heard that in Finland it's hard to find something to drink; otherwise nice place, cold.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:54 pm

Yeah it appears these guys found plenty to drink.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:54 am I've heard that in Finland it's hard to find something to drink; otherwise nice place, cold.