Somebody explain this 5G kerfuffle

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Somebody explain this 5G kerfuffle

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:55 am

You know all the airlines saying "the altimeter reading won't work around the 5G towers" and the cellphone providers saying "yeah it will Europe has been doing it for years."

I heard Europe has different rules for towers around airports i.e. further away from airports than the US.

My biggest question is I have been hearing about 5G for YEARS and suddenly when the drop dead date is here everyone is running around in chicken little mode.

Personally I would prefer the altimeters to work on the airliner I'm sitting in during landing.

Who is right and why have they waited so long to sound the alarm bells???
Never gonna make you cry...

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: Somebody explain this 5G kerfuffle

Post by theprf » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:20 am

I can't understand this either. 5G phase 1 uses the same frequency spectrum as 4G and 3G so there cannot be any problems there. 5G phase 2 uses the C band which is around 50GHz. I don't believe that any aviation systems use frequencies in that area.
Voice comms are around 120-130MHz. Terrestial nav is around 110-120MHz, and cochanneled around 320-330MHz. Radar, TCAS, DME, and transponders are around 1GHz. GPS is about 1.2GHz and 1.57GHz.
Perhaps they are worried about harmonics or conducted interference.
Euro 5G uses slightly different frequencies, I believe.

Warning: I took a college class in aerospace navigation systems and a class in electromagnetic wave theory.. in 1989. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:03 am

They went through this with the older mobile bands (e.g. CDMA) and WiFi too.

I certainly get the concern, but it should be something that they test early on and be done with (or present their results if there is indeed a problem). This "but the airlines!" bullshit is beyond old for this stuff.

Besides, vaccinated people have been flying for almost a year now and I haven't heard of a single issue with their 5G transmissions!

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:06 am

I heard those Bill Gates injected nano chips were running on an alien life form inspired frequency so there shouldn't be any interference.

P.S.: you started this here...so... :lol:
gnat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:03 am Besides, vaccinated people have been flying for almost a year now and I haven't heard of a single issue with their 5G transmissions!
Never gonna make you cry...