Starlink

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Starlink

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:07 pm

Nope. Too much tree obstruction around my place in the mountains - and there's no service yet in San Diego. I cancelled my service until they get a ground station up and running near SD.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:23 pm

Trees...same reason we don't have DirecTV here. Some DirecTV installer azzhole suggested I just cut the trees down or top them off every couple of years. That's when I threw him off my property.

I'll keep my trees as is Thank You very much.
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:07 pm Nope. Too much tree obstruction around my place in the mountains - and there's no service yet in San Diego. I cancelled my service until they get a ground station up and running near SD.
Never gonna make you cry...

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:52 pm

My Dad's wife had DirecTV installed. In the winter. It worked great! Until late March came around...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:08 pm

Winter can be difficult on reception as well depending on if the snow is wet and sticky. Cover the LNB with snow...game over until you can get it swept off at least on the old ones I have owned.
theprf wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:52 pm My Dad's wife had DirecTV installed. In the winter. It worked great! Until late March came around...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:29 pm

Even NASA has concerns.
Nasa warns that Elon Musk’s SpaceX internet satellites could stop humans getting to space

Nasa has raised concerns about SpaceX’s megaconstellation because of the risks of collision in Earth’s orbit.

The American space agency told the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that it had worries about “the potential for a significant increase in the frequency of conjunction events and possible impacts to Nasa’s science and human spaceflight missions".

There are currently 25,000 total objects in orbit around the Earth, with over 6,000 of them below 600 kilometres. ‘Low-Earth orbit’, a height at which satellite networks such as Starlink would operate in, is defined as an altitude of 2,000 kilometres or less.

SpaceX’s expansion of Starlink would “more than double the number of tracked objects in orbit and increase the number of objects below 600 km over five-fold," Nasa also said. SpaceX currently has plans to deploy roughly 30,000 satellites in orbit.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:10 am

Since NASA and Boeing can't launch shit these days without SpaceX, the Russians, and the French, maybe they need to settle down.

I wouldn't trust Boeing to launch a turd into a toilet bowl after the (ongoing) Starliner fiasco.

If there's good news, it's that SLS may never fly, so the odds of it hitting a Starlink satellite are likely nil.

The huge Mobile Launcher (ML) that will be used to launch NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) is leaning. However, NASA insists it is structurally sound and does not require modifications to counter what is portrayed as “some deflection”.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:27 am

NASA has been f--king with that crap since 2011 and, of course, blown the budget numerous times...?

Don't even get me started on Boeing. They can't even build a 737 Max without taking short cuts.
5chn3ll wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:10 am Since NASA and Boeing can't launch shit these days without SpaceX, the Russians, and the French, maybe they need to settle down.

I wouldn't trust Boeing to launch a turd into a toilet bowl after the (ongoing) Starliner fiasco.

If there's good news, it's that SLS may never fly, so the odds of it hitting a Starlink satellite are likely nil.

The huge Mobile Launcher (ML) that will be used to launch NASA’s Space Launch System (SLS) is leaning. However, NASA insists it is structurally sound and does not require modifications to counter what is portrayed as “some deflection”.