Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:17 pm

The Musk / Twitter situation is so out of the ordinary one has to presume he's doing a great deal of this on purpose. There's "he's an idiot", yeah, but nobody this 'stupid' is able to momentarily become the world's wealthiest man (monetarily speaking.) Because certain emails are being released whereas others are pure hearsay I'm forced to believe that some of this news about the situation is, gasp, made up.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:01 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:17 pm The Musk / Twitter situation is so out of the ordinary one has to presume he's doing a great deal of this on purpose. There's "he's an idiot", yeah, but nobody this 'stupid' is able to momentarily become the world's wealthiest man (monetarily speaking.) Because certain emails are being released whereas others are pure hearsay I'm forced to believe that some of this news about the situation is, gasp, made up.
He's cleaning house. There are going to be a bunch of pissed off people saying all kinds of stuff. Happens routinely when there's a new boss. The new guy wants to change the culture, so a lot of people are going to leave the company either voluntarily or by being fired. There's just more drama with Twitter due to its visibility. Lots of butthurt = lots of drama.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:06 pm

There is a lot of hype around the Muskrat, most of it perpetuated by him. If you really look into his history at PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, Boring Company, and now Twitter there is a clear pattern of abusing his employees and taking credit for things he didn't do (e.g. he ain't the founder of Tesla).

Further he has a long and ugly history with Twitter where he has been trying to silence users and posts he didn't like, but Twitter always gave him the finger. True or not, there is at least some meat to the rumor that this whole thing is his revenge fantasy. Additionally they has been a pattern for years now of his tweets getting ever more narcissistic in nature and him taking any negative commentary personally.

Finally, his self made bootstraps image is just a bad act. He got started with a "loan" from his rich parents who got their fortune from an Apartheid era gem (emeralds?) mining operation. Since his start in the tech scene he has gotten even more money from that source. You don't have to be smart to be rich, but if not a rich set of parents helps a great deal. Then he has simply played the part of a great conman, but his facade of charisma has slipped quite a bit in the last few years.

As far as "cleaning house" goes, tossing almost 75% of the staff via firing and threats in a couple of weeks is not cleaning house. It's gutting a company. This is not dials and levers that anyone can figure out. Even if he could find enough people willing to be abused by him, it's still going to take them weeks and likely months to get up to speed on the code and systems. Skill sets are only the easier part of the problem, it's the domain knowledge where Twitter is fucked right now. Based on people I know that have worked there in recent years as well as things Twitter themselves have published, their code tree gives rats nest nightmare a bad name. As an engineer recently pointed out (and was then fired) they focused on just adding new features and not on designing better integration and code separation. At the simplest level this makes it a nightmare to just jump in and learn the code, but it also makes it a bigger effort to actually get in and fix it because you tweak one thing and something 50 branches away and seemingly untreated starts acting up.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:57 am

gnat wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:06 pm There is a lot of hype around the Muskrat, most of it perpetuated by him. If you really look into his history at PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, Boring Company, and now Twitter there is a clear pattern of abusing his employees and taking credit for things he didn't do (e.g. he ain't the founder of Tesla).

Further he has a long and ugly history with Twitter where he has been trying to silence users and posts he didn't like, but Twitter always gave him the finger. True or not, there is at least some meat to the rumor that this whole thing is his revenge fantasy. Additionally they has been a pattern for years now of his tweets getting ever more narcissistic in nature and him taking any negative commentary personally.

Finally, his self made bootstraps image is just a bad act. He got started with a "loan" from his rich parents who got their fortune from an Apartheid era gem (emeralds?) mining operation. Since his start in the tech scene he has gotten even more money from that source. You don't have to be smart to be rich, but if not a rich set of parents helps a great deal. Then he has simply played the part of a great conman, but his facade of charisma has slipped quite a bit in the last few years.

As far as "cleaning house" goes, tossing almost 75% of the staff via firing and threats in a couple of weeks is not cleaning house. It's gutting a company. This is not dials and levers that anyone can figure out. Even if he could find enough people willing to be abused by him, it's still going to take them weeks and likely months to get up to speed on the code and systems. Skill sets are only the easier part of the problem, it's the domain knowledge where Twitter is fucked right now. Based on people I know that have worked there in recent years as well as things Twitter themselves have published, their code tree gives rats nest nightmare a bad name. As an engineer recently pointed out (and was then fired) they focused on just adding new features and not on designing better integration and code separation. At the simplest level this makes it a nightmare to just jump in and learn the code, but it also makes it a bigger effort to actually get in and fix it because you tweak one thing and something 50 branches away and seemingly untreated starts acting up.
abusing employees, taking credit for things he didn't do, not self made, "loans" from rich parents, you don't have to be smart to be rich, played the part of a great conman.
Hhhmmm...

I have always thought he was a dirtbag. Thanks for providing further proof.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:35 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:57 am Hhhmmm...

I have always thought he was a dirtbag. Thanks for providing further proof.
For as anti Elon as I am now, I don't think he started off "bad". I never like PayPal under him as it was way to predatory (and it's only slightly better now), but I didn't particularly think I'll of him. When he took over Tesla I still just thought of him as a bombastic rich guy.

I think he let all the attention an adulations for being the first "serious" electric car maker go to his head. Things just started spiraling for his personality around the launch of the Model S and he started making bigger and bigger claims and making more and more outrageous statements. Then as criticism of the S started to come in he started to lose it (canceling orders, frivolous lawsuits, tirades on Twitter, etc..).

If he didn't have the power (and history) to ruin peoples lives I'd feel bad for the guy. But like all celebrities we just watch the show and he (like the others) surrounds himself with people that are more interested in the reflected fame and money/power than convincing the guy he needs help. Our society is in a sad state.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:53 am

OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY!
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 12.50.35 PM.png
Gonna be a long wait til August!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:24 am

When did Dick Cheney move to Nebraska?
Three Nebraska deer hunters were shot by members of their own hunting parties over the weekend, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission reported.

On Sunday, the last day of Nebraska’s rifle-deer season, a 20-year-old Indianola man was seriously injured -- and flown to Bryan’s trauma center in Lincoln -- when he was accidentally shot by another hunter in Red Willow County who was following him up an embankment.

On Saturday, a 22-year-old Omaha man hunting along the Platte River southeast of Yutan was taken to CHI Creighton University Bergan Mercy in Omaha with injuries to his hands. An early review of the scene showed he was unintentionally shot by another member of his hunting party, the commission reported

And on Friday morning, a hunter from Hickman was shot in his arm by another hunter near the Platte River in Buffalo County. He was taken to CHI Good Samaritan in Kearney; though it was a close-range shot, his injuries weren’t considered life-threatening.
Note to self: Stay inside until this insanity is over.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:02 pm

Woohoo! My garbage passed smog.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:58 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:02 pm Woohoo! My garbage passed smog.
Tell me again how often you have to have that done and at what cost?

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:59 pm

I finished replacing the engine in the 06 Cayenne I bought. It's back together and for the moment is running well, just in time for snow! I had planned 8 weeks to finish it, and it took 10 weeks because of parts availability issues.
I'm not sure that stuffing 520hp into a huge wagon is such a great idea. I guess I will find out.
Now on to the next project.