Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:59 am

So…is it time for 996 RennRun Vegas 2.0 so we can crash Frunky’s anniversary?

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:00 am

E4ACFD8E-75DA-40DE-A281-8B088BB361A1.gif
E4ACFD8E-75DA-40DE-A281-8B088BB361A1.gif (957.28 KiB) Viewed 471 times

Hatchetf15
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by Hatchetf15 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:18 pm

Kinda along the happy marriage/anniversary theme trend…funny story:

So I’m home for a night after 3 days and then back at work for another 24. Come home Monday, pack the Pepper and head down to Barber for 4 days of ridiculously expensive track time. I’ve had this on my schedule for over 6 months. What I didn’t remember to do was share it with my wife’s calendar. Imagine my surprise when I’m nearly out the door for the airport and I cavalierly “remind” her I’ll be quick-turning for the track when I get home. Oh God, oh dear!

So the first 3 days are supposed to be nice weather, but I’ll be driving the only car with a large rain cloud over it. Plus, I got docked 470 million husband-of-the-year points. Sweet!

My takeaway from all this is wives are stupid jealous of Porsches.

theprf

Post by theprf » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:05 pm

My Easter Sunday was spent changing out the upper control arms on my Cayenne. These are looking at you from their home in the wheel wells saying "I'm right here - come replace me!" They you realize the first step to change them is to remove the windshield wiper arms and you know you're in for a slog. I think I could remove the 911 engine quicker.
This may have fixed the vibration I was getting. Above 73-ish MPH the car would shake like a wet dog. Also it would shake under moderate braking. The braking shaking is still there... have not been able to go 73 in the city yet to test the speed related shaking.

In an attempt to fix the braking shaking I order a full 4-wheel brake kit from eeuroparts.com for the princely sum of $1700. Yes, the front rotors are $700 each as they are used only on this exact model and year. That explains why the previous owner did nothing to replace the rotors even though they are worn well below spec.

So why not just use hard braking all the time and avoid the shaking? Well, hard braking seems to put the car into sport mode with much more aggressive shifts. These aggressive shifts are not what anyone would call smooth because of known problems with valve body wear in the Toyota-sourced automatic trans. In fact it bangs and clanks every shift, upshifts and downshifts. Needs a valve body rebuild if I can find someone who still works on these transmissions. Maybe next month.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:21 am

theprf wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:05 pm My Easter Sunday was spent changing out the upper control arms on my Cayenne. These are looking at you from their home in the wheel wells saying "I'm right here - come replace me!" They you realize the first step to change them is to remove the windshield wiper arms and you know you're in for a slog. I think I could remove the 911 engine quicker.
This may have fixed the vibration I was getting. Above 73-ish MPH the car would shake like a wet dog. Also it would shake under moderate braking. The braking shaking is still there... have not been able to go 73 in the city yet to test the speed related shaking.

In an attempt to fix the braking shaking I order a full 4-wheel brake kit from eeuroparts.com for the princely sum of $1700. Yes, the front rotors are $700 each as they are used only on this exact model and year. That explains why the previous owner did nothing to replace the rotors even though they are worn well below spec.

So why not just use hard braking all the time and avoid the shaking? Well, hard braking seems to put the car into sport mode with much more aggressive shifts. These aggressive shifts are not what anyone would call smooth because of known problems with valve body wear in the Toyota-sourced automatic trans. In fact it bangs and clanks every shift, upshifts and downshifts. Needs a valve body rebuild if I can find someone who still works on these transmissions. Maybe next month.
You thought of this already, but how old are the tires? My past-due Kumho's started shaking around that speed too. I think the place I had install the previous tires was crap. I am convinced the weights fell off at some point.

In any case, the new Mich's are smoooooooooth as buttah. Now I have the old p1314 to contend with. Bye bye tax return!
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:27 am

theprf wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:05 pm My Easter Sunday was spent changing out the upper control arms on my Cayenne. These are looking at you from their home in the wheel wells saying "I'm right here - come replace me!" They you realize the first step to change them is to remove the windshield wiper arms and you know you're in for a slog. I think I could remove the 911 engine quicker.

:lol: I laughed out loud in the real life when I read the bit about the windshield wiper arms.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:46 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:59 am So…is it time for 996 RennRun Vegas 2.0 so we can crash Frunky’s anniversary?
Great suggestion. It only has been...6 years since the last one.

theprf

Post by theprf » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:44 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:21 am You thought of this already, but how old are the tires? My past-due Kumho's started shaking around that speed too. I think the place I had install the previous tires was crap. I am convinced the weights fell off at some point.

In any case, the new Mich's are smoooooooooth as buttah. Now I have the old p1314 to contend with. Bye bye tax return!
That is a good point. The fronts are date coded 2022, the rears 2010. It's quite possible that the vibration while not braking is coming from the rear tires. It seems to get better after driving a while at speed so perhaps the old rubber needs to get quite hot before it softens up.
Now I am thinking about some cheap tires for the back. Other Cayenne drivers report good results with a tire called Atturo AZ850 which is less than 1/2 the price of the Continental DWS06 that's on there.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:30 am

theprf wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:44 am Now I am thinking about some cheap tires for the back.
As the P!g is an AWD, you should be replacing all 4 at the same time to maintain consistency. Mismatched tires can cause damage to the transfer case. Mostly that is a concern with diameter differences due to wear, but tread patterns can be problematic too.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:11 am

frankenstein-its-alive.gif
frankenstein-its-alive.gif (16.55 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Kalashnikov wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:46 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:59 am So…is it time for 996 RennRun Vegas 2.0 so we can crash Frunky’s anniversary?
Great suggestion. It only has been...6 years since the last one.