NOCO jumper pack question

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

NOCO jumper pack question

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:58 am

For argument sake let's just say your 996 has refused to start due to an apparent battery issue and you own a NOCO jumper pack. Also for this discussion let's consider that the hood latch manual pull cable has not been rerouted behind the tow plug. How do you guys use the jumper pack to get juice to operate the frunk release when the cables on the pack barely spans a battery much less the 3'6" span from the fuse box to the door latch loop? I checked and don't see any viable grounding points within reach of the stumpy cables on the NOCO.

Yes I know one could pop the engine hood open with the wire beneath the left taillight assembly and use the jump point on the right side of the engine, but that just seems laborious. I'm thinking about fabricating a 4' piece of #6 AWG with clamps on both ends and tossing that in the bag with the NOCO. Whadda think...?

This really is just a curiosity question as I am anal retentive enough that when I park in the garage and figure the car will sit for a few days/weeks I pop the frunk and engine hood plus plug in a battery maintainer.

Just wondering

BTW the elderly lady across the circle called a while back because her fairly new Honda SUV wouldn't start. From checking it appeared the battery had crapped the bed. Hooked up the NOCO and bingo started right up. She now thinks I am some type of wizard so those things do work. Actually surprised me a little.
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: NOCO jumper pack question

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:10 am

Hey Billy. This happened to me once and I was taught that in our Mk2 cars there is a place to hook up a battery or jump pack inside of the fuse box. Here is a video as old as our cars that shows you where to locate it:

You use that doodad and it sends enough power to the car to use the frunk button in the door sill. Ze Germans - Zey have thought of everysing! :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:57 am

Try the jump pack via the fuse box doodad like the good Dr. suggests.

I heard somewhere (reliable source or not I don't remember, so use at your own risk) that one may need a proper battery rather than a jump pack to get the fuse box doodad to function property. I can't fathom why that would be so, but...

I hadn't thought of routing wires from the battery to a convenient location so one can use a jump pack without having to pop the frunk. I have run wiring from my battery to a convenient location for use with my battery maintainer. For the 996 it's not such a big deal, but you have to disassemble quite a bit of plastic in the GT4 to get to the battery. I ain't got time for that!
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:52 am

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:10 am Hey Billy. This happened to me once and I was taught that in our Mk2 cars there is a place to hook up a battery or jump pack inside of the fuse box. Here is a video as old as our cars that shows you where to locate it:

You use that doodad and it sends enough power to the car to use the frunk button in the door sill. Ze Germans - Zey have thought of everysing! :lol:
Yes I am aware of the power connection device in the fuse box. I am not familiar with the 997, but my hinge arm does not conduct as checked by an ohmmeter. However, the door hinge bracket does conduct. I had never checked those things and was running on previous advice from others that said hook the negative on the door latch loop which is 3'6" distant from the fuse box.

Oh well paranoia problem solved as the door hinge bracket does provide a nearby grounding point. When I looked at that area for a ground point I was not using a flashlight and everything appeared to be painted...Duh!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:59 am

02TX996Cab wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:57 am I heard somewhere (reliable source or not I don't remember, so use at your own risk) that one may need a proper battery rather than a jump pack to get the fuse box doodad to function property. I can't fathom why that would be so, but...
I know battery packs need to see a minimal of battery power before they function like the incredibly frustrating new battery chargers. I understand why. So idiots that don't know the different between + and - don't get their s--t burnt/blown up. However, the NOCO has an over-ride button that will allow supplying power without the required existing minimal power. So if the battery is stone cold dead it will work. At least I think that is what I read.

If you think a 12 volt battery throws some fire when cross connected the locomotives I worked on back in the day had 74 volt batteries and I saw a few drunk/high/or simply stupid guys "TRY" to cross connect jumper cables while attempting a jump start. Can you say "FIRE IN THE HOLE...RUNAWAY!!" Of course you can.