AutoX

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: AutoX

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:15 am

02TX996Cab wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:54 am I've herd from *reliable* sources that Nebraska AX will no longer utilize run groups, but instead will adopt thie following "Balance of Performance" method.

Billy, please confirm.

https://t.co/UpzcijbjVN
Capture.JPG
Holy Crap! This is real and from Kneebraska!
"A Boy and his Dog"?

No! This is A Boy and his Dog:
boy and his dog.jpeg
boy and his dog.jpeg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Pretty interesting movie from the 70's
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:24 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:43 pm video shows private!!
Hopefully it is viewable now.

Here’s a link to me and another guy running the “limo” golf cart through the course at speed - nothing more fun than drifting a big ass golf cart through a 180 degree corner on a wet course while jumping the big expansion joint seam going through the middle of it!

www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:41 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:53 pm We had a golf cart autocross for disabled and disadvantaged kids at the auto museum on Saturday. The KCRPCA helped the museum put it on with equipment and volunteers. We had racing suits made for the kids so they could take them home. There were a lot of smiles, fun & excitement - and the kids had a great time, too!

We are definitely doing it again next year.

I will try to link to a second video is of me and one of the other guys in the "limo" golf cart (3-rows) running through the course before the event started (and right after a rain).

154-Event-at-Underground.jpg
Video works now. Thanks. That is so very cool of you guys to hold this event. I bet everyone had a great time.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:26 pm

Yesterday was our September AutoX. Course was fast and full of interesting challenges but nothing painful. Weather was low 80's, sunny with a light breeze. 996 ran flawlessly, again. It was a successful day. For me and AutoX successful is defined as didn't hit a light pole nor a corner worker and nothing blew up. The sound at higher rpm is still intoxicating for me. The time keeper for my group said on the timing sheets "I love to hear that 911 roar!"

One thing I did discover is even as primitive as the PSM system may be on a 2005 C4S it still does it's job...apparently. I always run the first lap with the PSM on so I can concentrate on the course and how to attack it. After the first lap I had it shut off. A couple laps in as I was increasing my speeds in the middle of a tight turn the rear end started to step out I stayed on the throttle, put in a little counter steering and it settled in to finish the corner. This was not a tire squealing frightening deal but it did open my eyes to the fact that the PSM does actually work silently in the background.

I so need to work on my confidence level of the car's traction limit. While corner marshaling I noted many people slowing down for areas that I went by easily at full throttle yet they were turning slightly faster times than I was posting. It seems I was losing time in the two large sweepers by backing off long before the car's traction limit. My brain kept telling me that the car was about to spin when it was actually no where close. I realized this when I had two laps left and picked the sweeper speeds up. I dropped two seconds per lap on those two laps and was still no where close to maximum speed/traction limits for the car. The 4S with the big fatty tires out back has a TON of grip! I need to work on what my brain thinks it is feeling because it's lying to me!

P.S.: I need to buy a knee pad to protect the outer part of my upper shin from banging on the center console. I forgot about the bruise I had after last month's AutoX. The bruise is back today!!

Another FUN day in the parking lot!

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:35 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:26 pm
Another FUN day in the parking lot!
Glad to see you out and enjoying the car!
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:56 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:26 pmThe 4S with the big fatty tires out back has a TON of grip! I need to work on what my brain thinks it is feeling because it's lying to me!
The 6TT with 305's in back also has tons of grip! It's got so much performance that approaching the limits is rather scary. I think as long as you keep some throttle in during the corner you can do most anything - throttle chop weight transfer might need to unwind the steering wheel a little. Every time I have spun my 6TT it has been with lifted throttle oversteer.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:44 am

theprf wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:56 am
32wildbilly wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:26 pmThe 4S with the big fatty tires out back has a TON of grip! I need to work on what my brain thinks it is feeling because it's lying to me!
The 6TT with 305's in back also has tons of grip! It's got so much performance that approaching the limits is rather scary. I think as long as you keep some throttle in during the corner you can do most anything - throttle chop weight transfer might need to unwind the steering wheel a little. Every time I have spun my 6TT it has been with lifted throttle oversteer.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for next time.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:07 pm

November AutoX next Sunday!!! First ever around here. We missed April due to an insurance kerfuffle and I missed October by being out of town(long story).

Temps projected to be in low 60's sunshine with 10-15mph winds. Perfect!!

Oh boy...Oh boy...Oh boy...!!!
when-harry-met-sally.gif
when-harry-met-sally.gif (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1914 times

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:46 am

So.. do we get an update? Inquiring minds and all that.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:36 am

theprf wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:46 am So.. do we get an update? Inquiring minds and all that.
Ok I was being lazy so... Weather was sunny with a light breeze and topped out in the low 70's. So perfect day for AutoX. Course was designed by a long time SCCA AutoX/RallyX dude. Fast in places but had areas that required moderation in speed but nothing painful.

Porsche performed flawlessly, again. Driver...well he's an old guy(73) and has his ups and downs. I tried to carry more speed through the turns as per above and it showed in performance. Still no where near the limit of adhesion. theprf is correct the limits are high in these cars! I only felt the rear end start to step out once in the 10 runs. When that happened I just stayed in the throttle and steered out of it. Here's another driver problem: The turning radius in the Honda is similar to a large SUV due to minimal available steering "throw". My brain keeps forgetting that the Pcar has a lot more "turn" designed in. I realized what I was doing about 2/3's through the event in the one hairpin turn. I focused on that turn the next two runs and reduced my time 1.5 and 2 seconds. Using the additional steering allowed me to pick the throttle up earlier as the car came around quicker DUH! Hand/eye/gray matter connections all degrade with age. I'm pretty sure I was within a couple of seconds of the quick guys with experience far beyond mine, less age and more AutoX prepared cars. I.E.: C8 Vette, supercharged Bugeye and a Westfield. I will share that the plethora of Miatas are not happy with the 996...

Last one of the year. Already counting the days until next April. Once again if you've never done AutoX give it a try. It is so much fun!