Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:08 pm

Nothing wrong Billy - you want the second Renn Room?
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Back in Business

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:33 pm

Yep, can't keep a good dawg down!

I'm back in the 996 business. 1999 (98 build) C4 Ocean Blue Metallic/Graphite Grey interior. 89K miles. All stock except the Alpine stereo. Surprisingly, this one has PSM. First '99 I've seen with it. Still has the original factory M96/02 engine. All passes on my Durametric. Clutch seems strong, but I can't find any record of replacement. I assume this has the original dual row IMS bearing, :shock: but I'll try not to start that replace-or-not-debate. 8-) ha!

The C4 drives smooth, even at higher speeds unlike my first two 996 C2 which would get squirrelly above 140 mph. :D (yes, I'm joking!)

So far, the wife and I have been doing simple stuff like giving it wash and wax, cleaning the carpet, applying leather dye to the worn and/or stained areas of the steering wheel, gear shift knob, and seat leather. Changed the oil, filters, and topped off all fluids. The only thing I haven't done is check the crankcase vacuum to rule out a failing AOS. I'll see if I can borrow a manometer when I'm at Jake's next time. But no smoke at start up and the tail pipes are pretty much free of soot. A testament to the earlier cars. Oh, and the Varicam wear pads are definitely in my future since they're right at 6 degrees of deviation from bank 1 to 2. But def no CEL or DTC fault codes. No range 2 overrevs and got full readiness status. Overall, everything works mechanically and electrically, except the sunroof (prolly the electric motor gone bad?). Hey, even the heat and AC work in auto mode. I was expecting the blend door problem effecting the heat, but it produces lots of hot air like most southern Waffle House waitresses.

:lol:

Happy New Year!

IMG_5061.jpeg
IMG_7635.png

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:27 pm

Hola!

I'm pretty sure that ALL '99 C4's - which are e-gas - were equipped with PSM by default. It was an option for the C2.

Fun fact: The MKI (3.4L) C4's are also equipped with a fuel cooler; I'm not sure about the C2.

Try holding the "close" button on the sunroof controls for 2-3 seconds, then push and hold the "open" button. One of the microswitches in mine is cooked, so the sunroof doesn't cycle automatically, but the "press close for a few seconds" trick allows me to open it manually.

Billy, I think we had a post collision and wound up with two of your "And it's a C4" posts - so I nuked one, in case you were wondering.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Back in Business

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:28 pm

B3DAWG wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:33 pm Yep, can't keep a good dawg down!

I'm back in the 996 business. 1999 (98 build) C4 Ocean Blue Metallic/Graphite Grey interior. 89K miles. All stock except the Alpine stereo. Surprisingly, this one has PSM. First '99 I've seen with it. Still has the original factory M96/02 engine. All passes on my Durametric. Clutch seems strong, but I can't find any record of replacement. I assume this has the original dual row IMS bearing, :shock: but I'll try not to start that replace-or-not-debate. 8-) ha!

The C4 drives smooth, even at higher speeds unlike my first two 996 C2 which would get squirrelly above 140 mph. :D (yes, I'm joking!)

So far, the wife and I have been doing simple stuff like giving it wash and wax, cleaning the carpet, applying leather dye to the worn and/or stained areas of the steering wheel, gear shift knob, and seat leather. Changed the oil, filters, and topped off all fluids. The only thing I haven't done is check the crankcase vacuum to rule out a failing AOS. I'll see if I can borrow a manometer when I'm at Jake's next time. But no smoke at start up and the tail pipes are pretty much free of soot. A testament to the earlier cars. Oh, and the Varicam wear pads are definitely in my future since they're right at 6 degrees of deviation from bank 1 to 2. But def no CEL or DTC fault codes. No range 2 overrevs and got full readiness status. Overall, everything works mechanically and electrically, except the sunroof (prolly the electric motor gone bad?). Hey, even the heat and AC work in auto mode. I was expecting the blend door problem effecting the heat, but it produces lots of hot air like most southern Waffle House waitresses.

:lol:

Happy New Year!

IMG_5061.jpeg
IMG_7635.png
That's a purdy one and a C4 at that!

You go through cars like I go through kleenex...
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:02 pm

Very nice Bobby! Welcome back!
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:18 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:27 pm
Billy, I think we had a post collision and wound up with two of your "And it's a C4" posts - so I nuked one, in case you were wondering.
Post? What post? What is this post thing you speak of? ;)
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:26 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:27 pm
Try holding the "close" button on the sunroof controls for 2-3 seconds, then push and hold the "open" button. One of the microswitches in mine is cooked, so the sunroof doesn't cycle automatically, but the "press close for a few seconds" trick allows me to open it manually.
Thanks Dallas! But tell me more about opening it manually. How is this accomplished?

I tried your 2-3 sec open/close switch method and I can hear the motor running in close position, but it is silent in open position. The sunroof doesn't drop or move. Bad switch? Or something wrong with the motor?

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:07 pm

Here's a better write-up I found on Rennlist - but if your motor's running and the sunroof isn't moving, your problem is even worse than mine. :D

here ya go................

Teaching lifting/sliding roof drive
1. With the ignition switched on, press the lift button and move the lifting/sliding roof drive to the "raised"
limit position.
2. Press lift button again and keep depressed. After around 10 seconds, a complete cycle takes place from
the raised limit position to the positions "lower open close". Teaching of the characteristics has been
completed after this process.
Note: The lift button must not be released during the entire process. In the event of a restart, the
lifting/sliding roof must always be moved to the limit position first.
3. If the lifting/sliding roof drive should move back in Item 1, then the closing force limitation function has
responded (lifting/sliding force drive was taught). The open button must be re−taught in this case.
1 Press the open button until the sliding roof stops. Then release the button. Press the open button
again until the lifting/sliding roof drive stops again. Then release the button.
2 Press the open button again and keep depressed. The entire process takes place after approx. 10 seconds:
"close − lift − lower − open − close.".

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:26 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:07 pm Here's a better write-up I found on Rennlist - but if your motor's running and the sunroof isn't moving, your problem is even worse than mine. :D

here ya go................

1. With the ignition switched on, press the lift button and move the lifting/sliding roof drive to the "raised"
limit position.
2. Press lift button again and keep depressed. After around 10 seconds, a complete cycle takes place from
the raised limit position to the positions "lower open close". Teaching of the characteristics has been
completed after this process.
Note: The lift button must not be released during the entire process. In the event of a restart, the
lifting/sliding roof must always be moved to the limit position first.
3. If the lifting/sliding roof drive should move back in Item 1, then the closing force limitation function has
responded (lifting/sliding force drive was taught). The open button must be re−taught in this case.
1 Press the open button until the sliding roof stops. Then release the button. Press the open button
again until the lifting/sliding roof drive stops again. Then release the button.
2 Press the open button again and keep depressed. The entire process takes place after approx. 10 seconds:
"close − lift − lower − open − close.".
Thank you Dallas. Unfortunately, it didn't work. The sunroof doesn't move no matter what part of the button (open, tilt up, close) I select. As mentioned before, you can hear the motor when pressing the close position or tilt, but nothing when pressing the open button... motor is completely silent. Maybe burned up.. free wheeling? I'm going to try replacing the motor to start, if that doesn't work, then I'm sure the problem resides in the track assembly which of course involves removing the plastic trim, headline, etc. Thankfully, the sunroof is in closed position. I don't use sunroofs much, but it would be to open the top on occasion.

Cheers everyone!

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:54 am

Bummer. Add it to the project list. :D