Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Einsteiger
He's Back and He's Angry

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Einsteiger » Wed May 08, 2024 1:31 pm

You can take the aviator out of the Navy, but..............
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Metallic
OP Kansas

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

I am a terrible 996 owner...

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri May 17, 2024 5:24 am

This Spring when bringing the 996 out of storage I changed the oil and filter, of course. As I'm laying there watching the oil drain out I observe that the oil looks like it just came out of the bottle. Clean, no odors and still the original color. My brain says that's a good thing. After completing this task I document the date, type of oil and the mileage since last changed on my record sheet. This is where the depravity of my failure becomes evident. The reason the oil looked so good was it only had 77 miles on it... 77 freakin' miles!!

Ok...ok...so my excuse is the medical challenges I dealt with October 2023 through May 2024 which definitely cut down on my usage, but 77 miles is about equal to driving to AutoX, participating in AutoX and driving back home. I don't even want to share the previous years usage since the engine overhaul in 2019. While those years are more than 77 the miles still put me in "the little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays" category. My car is not a garage queen. I'm just lazy.

I suck!
Never gonna make you cry...

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Fri May 17, 2024 12:25 pm

Billy...sometimes life gets in the way of enjoying our cars the way we'd like. Hopefully your medical issues are behind you, so that you can drive your FSI-powered 996 the way Jake intended.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: I am a terrible 996 owner...

Post by 5chn3ll » Sat May 18, 2024 3:17 pm

If you want to bottle up that old oil and ship it to me, I'm happy to put a few more miles on it for you.

#teamworkmakesthedreamwork

32wildbilly wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:24 am This Spring when bringing the 996 out of storage I changed the oil and filter, of course. As I'm laying there watching the oil drain out I observe that the oil looks like it just came out of the bottle. Clean, no odors and still the original color. My brain says that's a good thing. After completing this task I document the date, type of oil and the mileage since last changed on my record sheet. This is where the depravity of my failure becomes evident. The reason the oil looked so good was it only had 77 miles on it... 77 freakin' miles!!

Ok...ok...so my excuse is the medical challenges I dealt with October 2023 through May 2024 which definitely cut down on my usage, but 77 miles is about equal to driving to AutoX, participating in AutoX and driving back home. I don't even want to share the previous years usage since the engine overhaul in 2019. While those years are more than 77 the miles still put me in "the little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays" category. My car is not a garage queen. I'm just lazy.

I suck!

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: I am a terrible 996 owner...

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun May 19, 2024 5:19 am

5chn3ll wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:17 pm If you want to bottle up that old oil and ship it to me, I'm happy to put a few more miles on it for you.

#teamworkmakesthedreamwork

32wildbilly wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:24 am This Spring when bringing the 996 out of storage I changed the oil and filter, of course. As I'm laying there watching the oil drain out I observe that the oil looks like it just came out of the bottle. Clean, no odors and still the original color. My brain says that's a good thing. After completing this task I document the date, type of oil and the mileage since last changed on my record sheet. This is where the depravity of my failure becomes evident. The reason the oil looked so good was it only had 77 miles on it... 77 freakin' miles!!

I suck!
Can't do that as already recycled😜, but I do have 5 or 6 quarts of brand new unopened Driven GP-1 oil available for free. I will even pay the shipping. Just don't need anymore and hate to see it go to waste. Beside I need to reduce the garage clutter.

Anybody...anybody...?
Never gonna make you cry...

Einsteiger
He's Back and He's Angry

Post by Einsteiger » Sun May 19, 2024 3:52 pm

I was a devout user of Driven DT-40 until it hit $15 /qt. Now it's Mobil 1 5w40 & I add some ZDDP. It'll have to do. ;)
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Metallic
OP Kansas