My 2002 996 "renovation" thread

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: My 2002 996 "renovation" thread

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 am

What system do you have Wild Bill? Is it CDR-23 with Bose? Or, PCM?

Mine of course, is the older CDR-220/Harman analogy. But it was the "tecknik" (think that's how they spell it) upgrade which gives me the frunk amp and 6 speaker system. The door speaker are not sub quality, but supposed to be "full range". The HAES speakers that came out of those enclosers were simple paper cone 2 ohm woofer. I installed simple coaxial Kickers that can handle up to 200W. Either the signal is clipping before it hits the speakers OR the speakers are not breathing enough which could cause some popping due to the resistance. I'm leaning towards the amp, because even at mid-volume you can hear the unwanted bass pop. At mid volume the bass doesn't cause the cone to move much at all. And so, the ports should be fine. We'll see in time. I just hope and pray the pre-amp signal from the CDR-220 are clean. Schnelly gave me that HU and say the he also notice bass distortion at upper levels.
Says CDR-23 on the faceplate and the speaker enclosures say Bose. What is this PCM of which you speak? Build sheet shows: code 697 "Porsche CDR23" CD Radio WW and code 680 Bose Sound Package. Still it could be my ears...
Never gonna make you cry...

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 am
b3freak wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 am

What system do you have Wild Bill? Is it CDR-23 with Bose? Or, PCM?

Mine of course, is the older CDR-220/Harman analogy. But it was the "tecknik" (think that's how they spell it) upgrade which gives me the frunk amp and 6 speaker system. The door speaker are not sub quality, but supposed to be "full range". The HAES speakers that came out of those enclosers were simple paper cone 2 ohm woofer. I installed simple coaxial Kickers that can handle up to 200W. Either the signal is clipping before it hits the speakers OR the speakers are not breathing enough which could cause some popping due to the resistance. I'm leaning towards the amp, because even at mid-volume you can hear the unwanted bass pop. At mid volume the bass doesn't cause the cone to move much at all. And so, the ports should be fine. We'll see in time. I just hope and pray the pre-amp signal from the CDR-220 are clean. Schnelly gave me that HU and say the he also notice bass distortion at upper levels.
Says CDR-23 on the faceplate and the speaker enclosures say Bose. What is this PCM of which you speak? Build sheet shows: code 697 "Porsche CDR23" CD Radio WW and code 680 Bose Sound Package. Still it could be my ears...
"Porsche Communication Management" is what they call it and basically for the 996 it's the higher end double din units which have more centralized control over the single din units. You may have heard of MOST - Media Oriented Systems Transport. The CDR-23 in your car using the MOST network system to interconnect the BOSE devices (CD changer, amp, processor, etc.) via fiber optic cables. These earlier systems are known to be problematic and require the dealership to reset the system to work again. These are decent systems when working. hehehe

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 am

"Porsche Communication Management" is what they call it and basically for the 996 it's the higher end double din units which have more centralized control over the single din units. You may have heard of MOST - Media Oriented Systems Transport. The CDR-23 in your car using the MOST network system to interconnect the BOSE devices (CD changer, amp, processor, etc.) via fiber optic cables. These earlier systems are known to be problematic and require the dealership to reset the system to work again. These are decent systems when working. hehehe
So is this something else I need to lose sleep over...? :lol:

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:00 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 am
b3freak wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 am

So is this something else I need to lose sleep over...? :lol:
Just be mindful when you want to swap out your battery. Power loss could cause the system to go silent. What you want to do is make sure the system doesn't lose voltage during any swap or you'll have to get Porsche to "IPAS" it in their system. Sometimes they charge and sometimes it's a courtesy. Depends on your dealer.

Also, if you lose sound associated with a power loss (blown fuse, dead battery, etc.), then follow these instructions. If it doesn't work, then they'll have to connect it their systems for reset.

From the shop manual...

Switch on the car radio. If the car radio cannot be switched on, or if it
switches on but music cannot be heard, switch off the ignition and
remove ignition key. Close the doors and lock the car. Wait till the alarm
system LED flashes normal. Unlock vehicle and switch on the radio
again.
If the radio does not switch on after this procedure, proceed according
to the Technical Manual. Refer to PCM2 GATEWAY - INTRODUCTION .

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:01 pm

b3freak wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:00 pm
Just be mindful when you want to swap out your battery. Power loss could cause the system to go silent. What you want to do is make sure the system doesn't lose voltage during any swap or you'll have to get Porsche to "IPAS" it in their system. Sometimes they charge and sometimes it's a courtesy. Depends on your dealer.

Also, if you lose sound associated with a power loss (blown fuse, dead battery, etc.), then follow these instructions. If it doesn't work, then they'll have to connect it their systems for reset.

From the shop manual...

Switch on the car radio. If the car radio cannot be switched on, or if it
switches on but music cannot be heard, switch off the ignition and
remove ignition key. Close the doors and lock the car. Wait till the alarm
system LED flashes normal. Unlock vehicle and switch on the radio
again.
If the radio does not switch on after this procedure, proceed according
to the Technical Manual. Refer to PCM2 GATEWAY - INTRODUCTION .
Crap! I'm gonna need some sleep aids over this deal.

B3DAWG

Re:Washer Cover Fell Off

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Well, was washing the car this morning and guess what I caught in time. Chrome washer cover fell off. Thankfully it didn't come off while driving the car! I've heard many guys to chip their windshields because of these little things. And yep, the "glue guys" tried to glue it back on which didn't help. The shaft is filled with what appears to be wax. From looking at the chrome cover, the mount is cracked. (no surprise) I guess I'll have to put this on my next repair schedule. Ugh.
IMG_1697.jpg
IMG_1697.jpg (106.61 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
IMG_1696.jpg
IMG_1696.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 2387 times

32wildbilly

Re: Re:Washer Cover Fell Off

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:32 pm

b3freak wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 pm Well, was washing the car this morning and guess what I caught in time. Chrome washer cover fell off. Thankfully it didn't come off while driving the car! I've heard many guys to chip their windshields because of these little things. And yep, the "glue guys" tried to glue it back on which didn't help. The shaft is filled with what appears to be wax. From looking at the chrome cover, the mount is cracked. (no surprise) I guess I'll have to put this on my next repair schedule. Ugh.

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg
I'm beginning to think your car was previously owned by the Elmers Glue company as a test bed for the development of new adhesives. Holy Crap!

The flying covers I've read about seem to mostly be from folks who accidentally hit the headlight washer instead of windshield washer while traveling at some speed above zero mph. At least you didn't do that. Lesson learned: don't let the car get dirty and don't wash it.

B3DAWG

Post by B3DAWG » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Check this out... this is the back of the chrome cover

7E2ADC4D-7528-4716-A41B-4FD49D01A88E.jpeg

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:27 pm

b3freak wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 pm Check this out... this is the back of the chrome cover
Are you kidding me!?

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:25 pm

b3freak wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 pm Check this out... this is the back of the chrome cover
Never pull your IMS, and if you do, don't look. :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic