Digital speed display

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Digital speed display

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 am

I have scanned the F'ing manual and did not see if there is a way to move the digital display from the speedo to the center tach gauge in place of the outside temp area. You all know I'm computer knowledge challenged so..."Can you spare a poor brother a dime?"

...and yes all my VCR players used to flash 12:00...12:00...12:00. Thank goodness for the connected DVR(whatever that means) that sets their own clock! :roll:
Never gonna make you cry...

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Digital speed display

Post by DBJoe996 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 am

DVR=digital video recorder
Do you have the OBC (on-board computer) enabled and do you have the fourth stalk on the steering column...the small one above the turn signal stalk? You use it to toggle between the settings.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:16 am

DBJoe996 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 am DVR=digital video recorder
Do you have the OBC (on-board computer) enabled and do you have the fourth stalk on the steering column...the small one above the turn signal stalk? You use it to toggle between the settings.
DVR: to clarify...I was just joking... :lol:
OBC: on and works
Fourth stalk: on mine is below turn signal stalk

As manual states: The OBD does too much to discuss here...Guess I'll just tinker with it. I know I've seen a pic of someones dash that showed mph on the bottom of the tach. I'm just tired of looking down and left to see how fast I'm going. The pointer is so compressed it's just a guess at accurate speed display. I get the tach in the middle, but I never take mine up to the danger area to need constant vigil on the tach! Outside temp display is nice, but would rather have mph in that location.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:04 am

OK...I have jiggled, joggled and toggled. I can find no way to put the digital speed display at the bottom of the tach display! It does not appear as an option on my car.

Oh well it was worth a try and now I am more familiar with the OBD control stalk...yea...whoopie...made my day...WHATEVER!

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:26 am

I don't think you can move the speed display, on the Mk1's it's in the tach, mk2's in the bottom of the speedo.
At least on my turbo it's not an option, and the Turbos came with about every electrical gadget in existance. I can have outside temp, odometer, trip odometer, mpg, distance to empty, navigation, boost, but not speed...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:19 am

theprf wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:26 am I don't think you can move the speed display, on the Mk1's it's in the tach, mk2's in the bottom of the speedo.
At least on my turbo it's not an option, and the Turbos came with about every electrical gadget in existance. I can have outside temp, odometer, trip odometer, mpg, distance to empty, navigation, boost, but not speed...
I certainly believe you are absolutely correct! Mine is a 2005 996 C4S so MK2.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:49 pm

WTH?!? Maybe it was an attempt to appeal to the pre-digital air cooled crowd? :?

I guess you just need to simplify your life. Speed only has three states that matter.

Stopped
Accelerating
Held up by the asshole in front of you

Anything else is just flowery descriptions of those and can be safely ignored.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:22 pm

gnat wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:49 pm WTH?!? Maybe it was an attempt to appeal to the pre-digital air cooled crowd? :?

I guess you just need to simplify your life. Speed only has three states that matter.

Stopped
Accelerating

You forgot number four: pulled over to the curb by the guy with the red lights on the roof of his car because you were accelerating(refer to number two above) too vigorously!

I'll learn to deal with it. :|

808Bill
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 808Bill » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:40 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:22 pm
gnat wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:49 pm WTH?!? Maybe it was an attempt to appeal to the pre-digital air cooled crowd? :?

Stopped
Accelerating

You forgot number four: pulled over to the curb by the guy with the red lights on the roof of his car because you were accelerating(refer to number two above) too vigorously!

I thought red was changed to blue in the 70's, are you stuck somewhere, do you need help? :D
FSI-R40

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:17 am

808Bill wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:40 am
32wildbilly wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:22 pm

I thought red was changed to blue in the 70's, are you stuck somewhere, do you need help? :D
Either...or...Both. "I'm Sargent Stadanko of the vice squad and yoouur busted!" (courtesy Cheech and Chong)
910.gif
910.gif (837.22 KiB) Viewed 2682 times