Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:48 am

As a reformed East Texan, I recommend a copy of the Good News Bible. The stuff Jesus says is printed in red so you don't miss it.

My Aunt Mary gave me a copy for my 13th birthday. Worst present ever. But I saw the neighbor girl's t*ts on that trip, so it wasn't a total loss.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:48 am

Getting ready for Hilary to roll in. Stuff shouldn't be too bad in San Diego, but we came up to Big Bear last night in case we have to do some work to keep this joint dry. The local weather guy is predicting 6-8" of rain between Sat. and Sun.

This is one of those times when it pays to be (a) obsessive, and (b) married to a Mormon girl.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:03 am

The "tropical cyclone warning" just rolled in. This could be kind of interesting.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:09 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:03 am The "tropical cyclone warning" just rolled in. This could be kind of interesting.
I wonder why "we" are having all of this extreme weather...
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:15 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:48 am Getting ready for Hilary to roll in. Stuff shouldn't be too bad in San Diego, but we came up to Big Bear last night in case we have to do some work to keep this joint dry. The local weather guy is predicting 6-8" of rain between Sat. and Sun.

This is one of those times when it pays to be (a) obsessive, and (b) married to a Mormon girl.
Trade you some of that rain for some of our heat!
Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 11.14.29 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 11.14.29 AM.png (87.77 KiB) Viewed 466 times

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:11 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:15 am
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:48 am Getting ready for Hilary to roll in. Stuff shouldn't be too bad in San Diego, but we came up to Big Bear last night in case we have to do some work to keep this joint dry. The local weather guy is predicting 6-8" of rain between Sat. and Sun.

Trade you some of that rain for some of our heat!
Billy -- that's cold weather to me, you're welcome to send it my way. We hit 112 in North Texas today. Roasty!

5chn3ll -- be safe out there. Hopefully the heavy winter rains revealed any major issues that have already been addressed, but one never knows.
IMG_0618.jpg
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Currently at a mile above sea level with a 3kw inverter I can clamp to the jump lugs on the Jeep, a freezer and a fridge worth of food, canned food, dried survival food, a .357 magnum with a pail of ammo, and a 3-foot raised concrete foundation. Also several cubic yards of gravel we can use to fill plastic contractor bags for DIY sandbags if necessary.

We may not be ready for everything, but we are ready for most things. ;)

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:51 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:23 pm Currently at a mile above sea level with a 3kw inverter I can clamp to the jump lugs on the Jeep, a freezer and a fridge worth of food, canned food, dried survival food, a .357 magnum with a pail of ammo, and a 3-foot raised concrete foundation. Also several cubic yards of gravel we can use to fill plastic contractor bags for DIY sandbags if necessary.

We may not be ready for everything, but we are ready for most things. ;)
Not enough ammo...

But seriously, you have the key risks covered based on having lived in hurricane country for nearly 20 years before my most recent move. High water and mud/landslides are the immediate threats to life. Days/weeks without power and isolation (closed roads due to all of the foregoing) are inconvenient. What SoCal is going to see is most likely no worse than a proper CA winter storm; strong gusty winds and heavy rain.

The guy who runs tropicaltidbits.com does an excellent job explaining the factors influencing tropical storms/forecasts. He posts a daily video on YouTube when there's an active storm that could impact the US. His video yesterday discussed Hilary at length. Give it a watch if you have the time.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:59 pm

Cool video - thanks!

At this point the street gutters are clear, the emergency water jugs are full, and the kitchen table is covered with flashlights, batteries, propane lanterns, and charged cell phones. I should probably be splitting some dried cordwood, but…it’s a tropical storm, so I don’t anticipate freezing.

We’re kind of just waiting around for the shoe to drop…the first thunderstorms are due any time, and we still have a decent chance of 10” of rain up here between Sunday AM and Monday AM.

Most of the mountain towns downhill from us are under evacuation orders - after all of the fires over the past couple of years, the odds of rock slides/debris flows are really high. 2 of the 3 roads out of here are likely to close. Tow straps and a come-along are in the Jeep if things get dicey.

We have a couple of elderly neighbors, so the plan is to stick it out so we can help the oldsters if necessary.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:21 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:59 pm Cool video - thanks!

At this point the street gutters are clear, the emergency water jugs are full, and the kitchen table is covered with flashlights, batteries, propane lanterns, and charged cell phones. I should probably be splitting some dried cordwood, but…it’s a tropical storm, so I don’t anticipate freezing.

We’re kind of just waiting around for the shoe to drop…the first thunderstorms are due any time, and we still have a decent chance of 10” of rain up here between Sunday AM and Monday AM.

Most of the mountain towns downhill from us are under evacuation orders - after all of the fires over the past couple of years, the odds of rock slides/debris flows are really high. 2 of the 3 roads out of here are likely to close. Tow straps and a come-along are in the Jeep if things get dicey.

We have a couple of elderly neighbors, so the plan is to stick it out so we can help the oldsters if necessary.
Fingers crossed for all of you on the mountain.