Steering Wheel Horn Frame Replacement

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Steering Wheel Horn Frame Replacement

Post by DBJoe996 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:27 am

I wanted to document my project so it might help the next person. Problem - horn honking when going over bumps. Pulled B3 fuse until my new horn frame came in. I noticed in some previous post they said use a T30 bit. Mine is a 99 C2 four spoke steering wheel. The correct bit is a T27 for the air bag bolts. They were definitely tight so I bought a right angled tool. I ran the car and turned the steering wheel so I could easily access the two air bag bolts at 6 o'clock. It was fairly easy. I held on to the airbag and undid the bolts. Turned off car and removed the key. Gently lowered the airbag. The yellow connector on the back of the air bag simply unplugs, pull it off and set the air bag aside. The four bolts that hold the horn frame are 17mm and come right out. A reverse of the procedure is all it took. The air bag bolts must be in the back side of the horn frame, so I used some small sections of rubber hose to hold the bolts in place until I got the frame bolted in, then removed them and put air bag in place. That was about it. The rubber bushings on the old horn frame were basically gone, thus the horn honking going over bumps. I did not undo the battery and the air bag light did not come on after I was done.
Attachments
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2142.JPG
IMG_2141.JPG
IMG_2140.JPG

Einsteiger

Re: Steering Wheel Horn Frame Replacement

Post by Einsteiger » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:29 am

Good one. We need to catalog these...I think they are. :?
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

Battery Guy

Post by Battery Guy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:30 am

Thanks for posting - I need to do this as well, but will admit that anything involving the airbag scares the hell out of me. So i may still pay my indy to do this. Mine is now to the point that it will honk on a speed bump but also if I bump the wheel slightly in just the right (wrong?) way.
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:02 am

It really is not a hard job. Steps to take - have the right tools! Those air bag T27 bolts are difficult to break loose. A deep right angle T27 bit is what it takes. Fire up car and turn the steering wheel so the air bag bolts are at 6 o'clock, loosen them but don't remove them yet. Once both are loose, ignition off and disconnect negative battery lead. Wait thirty minutes...have a beer. Loosen the air bag bolts and hold onto the airbag because it will drop out. Unplug the yellow air bag connector, it simply pulls out of the back. Replace air bag/horn frame. Big step...the air bag bolts must be in the air bag frame BEFORE installing, so I used to small pieces of rubber hose to hold them while installing the frame. Then remove the rubber hose pieces, install air bag and tighten up the air bag bolts from behind. Connect battery and beep beep..
You definitely need these two tools..right angle for breaking the air bag bolts and the other for simply unscrewing them and reinstalling.
Attachments
IMG_2148.jpg
IMG_2148.jpg (102.48 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
IMG_2147.jpg
IMG_2147.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Last edited by DBJoe996 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:23 am

Those torx bolts are by far the most difficult part of the job (I find putting the airbag cover back on more of a PITA than getting it off).

I know there is a reason you are supposed to disconnect the battery and wait before messing with an airbag, but I never do. Of course the downside on this job with the battery still connected is that the horn will keep beeping at you as you shake the steering wheel. That does get old and generates ugly looks from your neighbors... :lol: