Winterizing the 996

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Re: Winterizing the 996

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:21 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:43 pm
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 pm Thanks, fellas. I think I'll order the CTEK as I've seen that name around before. Other than that, I should be set.

Now to buy a beater that embarrasses the hell out of my kids when I go to drop them off.
What did you drop them off with last year? By the way, wheel bearings don't like to sit with the weight of the car on them. The lubrication can get dry, and yes metal can develop "flat spots". Why not just put if off the ground, on jack stands. You could then periodically run the car without having to take it out of the garage, How do all those Porsches in Europe survive being used 12 months out of the year?
Last year the wife dropped them off on the way to work, but schedules changed with the new schools they’re in.

I’m considering getting it in the air. My garage floor is old and I’m not sure I trust it unattended.

I hear you in all round use. I also know that working on brake parts fused together by corrosion is really not fun. When I developed a leak in the old 928’s brake lines, my Indy had to use mapp gas to get the flex lines off. You Cali guys have it easy.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:42 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:43 pm
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 pm Thanks, fellas. I think I'll order the CTEK as I've seen that name around before. Other than that, I should be set.

Now to buy a beater that embarrasses the hell out of my kids when I go to drop them off.
By the way, wheel bearings don't like to sit with the weight of the car on them. The lubrication can get dry, and yes metal can develop "flat spots". Why not just put if off the ground, on jack stands. You could then periodically run the car without having to take it out of the garage,
JESUS! Well my wheel bearings must be completely shot and once you store these cars with fresh oil you should NOT "periodically run the car" until next spring when you put it back in service. Doing it your way John will just put fuel and water in the clean oil for no good reason. OB: park it like discussed above until spring when you put it back in service. I've had a guy who knows more than all of us put together about these cars tell me that...
Never gonna make you cry...

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Running the car in the garage periodically is not a clever move IMHO. Doing so poses a couple of potentially significant risks:

1. Carbon monoxide poisoning if you keep the garage door closed when running the car. If the weather's good enough for the garage door to be open, the weather's good enough to drive the car on the roads.

2. Unless you run the engine long enough to get the oil fully hot (10-15 minutes), you won't boil off the unburned fuel and condensed water that gets into the oil every time you cold start. Those contaminants will lead to internal engine damage over time. That's the primary reason why driving cars only short distances and/or intermittently is considered "severe service" and their oil change intervals reduced accordingly. Note, running the car for extended periods in a garage can have drawbacks, see item 1.

I've heard some folks recommend that you underfill the oil by a bit (maybe a pint?) when you do the "lay up for the winter" oil change. Then, before you start the engine the first time in the spring, you top up. Gets some lubrication to the parts of the engine wetted when you add oil. Depends on how OCD you are.

Good luck. I feel for ya' choosing to park the car over the winter.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

DDzPorsche

Post by DDzPorsche » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:03 pm

What did you drop them off with last year? By the way, wheel bearings don't like to sit with the weight of the car on them. The lubrication can get dry, and yes metal can develop "flat spots". Why not just put if off the ground, on jack stands. You could then periodically run the car without having to take it out of the garage, How do all those Porsches in Europe survive being used 12 months out of the year?
I can'y say I've ever seen the comment on wheel bearings before

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:19 pm

Off the ground on jack stands allows the suspension to sag - the (admittedly sketchy) info I've read suggests that this is more problematic than flat-spotted-unicorn wheel bearings, but I drive a 996 - so what the f@ck do I know about bearings...

I believe KrazyK had a wheel-bearing-polishing regimen for cars that are parked for more than 2 hours per 76,2400,3-hour period, but I can't remember what it involved. I think it was some third-party magic, tho. That dude was a PM wizard.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:30 pm

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:58 am

Long weekends at high altitudes during the winter will make some people post weird s--t!
5chn3ll wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:30 pm Image

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:18 am

I still have to let the air out of my tires as recommended so I don't get flat spots but the 996 is sleeping soundly. Which is good because we got a tiny bit of snow a couple weeks ago and my town went nuts with the salt and it hasn't rained since.

My MIL bought the kids a rock tumbler for Christmas. You put ordinary rocks in and after plugging it in and running this thing for two weeks with sand in it, you get shiny rocks. Don't ask.

My wife set it up on a box right next to the gas can I use to fill up the snowblower, which may have been problematic.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:26 am

I thought you were supposed to inflate the tires to the maximum limit to lessen the contact patch. If you lower the pressure you will be increasing the contact patch and there will be a huge flat spot.

Anyway, sorry for the bad weather and having to put the car to sleep. What a pain!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:44 am

I go near max pressure as per the sidewalls.

Winter does suck it! 8-12" projected today.
53818208-63A6-425A-BBC4-86A6759B0C56.jpeg
DBJoe996 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:26 am I thought you were supposed to inflate the tires to the maximum limit to lessen the contact patch. If you lower the pressure you will be increasing the contact patch and there will be a huge flat spot.

Anyway, sorry for the bad weather and having to put the car to sleep. What a pain!