Ok...so I think I killed my laptop last night

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Ok...so I think I killed my laptop last night

Post by gnat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:54 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:29 pm This sorta happened.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 5.21.18 PM.png

In my defense, I'm typing this on hardware that makes Billy look like a bleeding-edge early adopter...

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 5.23.05 PM.png
Don't make me go downstairs and boot up my circa 2001 dual G4 Quicksilver! I think that thing is rocking 10.3 :P

I also have a 2007 MBP, though that my have been the charger I sent to Billy so booting might be and issue since it hasn't had a battery in 5 years. It's what my Dell replaced 4 years ago.

Speaking of the Dell. It has progressed to telling me the battery has a 89% charge and 74.7% is the max charge capacity. I'm pretty sure that it's not giving me peak performance any more either as a 3D render that took 2 hours a few weeks ago has been running since 8am and it's now almost 9pm...

After lots of getting to the point of clicking the final button and then getting cold feet about a dozen times, last night I finally clicked the Please Rape Me button for a 16" MBP with the 2.3 i9 and 32GB of RAM. Now I have to wait until mid December because god forbid Apple recognizes that some things like more memory might be a common upgrade and have them in stock ready to go :roll:

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:58 pm

It's not a glitch it's a feature...
gnat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:54 pm After lots of getting to the point of clicking the final button and then getting cold feet about a dozen times, last night I finally clicked the Please Rape Me button for a 16" MBP with the 2.3 i9 and 32GB of RAM. Now I have to wait until mid December because god forbid Apple recognizes that some things like more memory might be a common upgrade and have them in stock ready to go :roll:
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:00 pm

BTW. I would like to point out that you said this 3 short days ago...
5chn3ll wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:06 am After living through / supporting hardware and software during the PowerPC to Intel migration, the MacOS to OS X migration, and the 32-bit to 64-bit native migrations on Apple hardware, I will NOT be in line for a first-generation Apple product running a new-to-them CPU architecture.
As far as differences between the Air and MBP 13 with the M1, no clue as I haven't looked into the M1. 13" screens are not fun for 3D modeling stuff. After all your tool sets are on the screen you get like maybe 2" to work in...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 pm

Nothing pisses me off like paying $100 for a new OEM Dell battery that consists of 80 cents’ worth of thermoset plastics, a $1 circuit board, and six $1-a-pop 18650 cells...

gnat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:54 pm Speaking of the Dell. It has progressed to telling me the battery has a 89% charge and 74.7% is the max charge capacity. I'm pretty sure that it's not giving me peak performance any more either as a 3D render that took 2 hours a few weeks ago has been running since 8am and it's now almost 9pm...

After lots of getting to the point of clicking the final button and then getting cold feet about a dozen times, last night I finally clicked the Please Rape Me button for a 16" MBP with the 2.3 i9 and 32GB of RAM. Now I have to wait until mid December because god forbid Apple recognizes that some things like more memory might be a common upgrade and have them in stock ready to go :roll:

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:18 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 pm Nothing pisses me off like paying $100 for a new OEM Dell battery that consists of 80 cents’ worth of thermoset plastics, a $1 circuit board, and six $1-a-pop 18650 cells...

gnat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:54 pm Speaking of the Dell. It has progressed to telling me the battery has a 89% charge and 74.7% is the max charge capacity. I'm pretty sure that it's not giving me peak performance any more either as a 3D render that took 2 hours a few weeks ago has been running since 8am and it's now almost 9pm...

This is one of them new fangled form fitting batteries. Dell wanted something like $80 for a refurb battery and couldn't even offer me a new option. The elCheapo iFIixIt option turned me off that route (though they had better customer service on that $50 battery than I'm getting on my $2k printer...). The Dell parts place you sent me a link to wants like $130 or something for what they claim is a new OE battery, but that's beyond my threshold to keep this laptop limping along when I've been looking for an excuse for almost 2 years.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:26 pm

Parts-people ain’t cheap, but they’ve come through with some obscure stuff in the past.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:26 am

I deserve that. My only rebuttal: that was before Mrs. S. said, "hey, you should get one of those."

I'm never going to pass up fully-sanctioned hardware purchases...
gnat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:00 pm BTW. I would like to point out that you said this 3 short days ago...

I ordered mine last Thursday, and it's due to arrive today. Unless Apple decided to build a shit-ton up-front during a pandemic, it doesn't seem like demand is overwhelming...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 am

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:26 am I ordered mine last Thursday, and it's due to arrive today. Unless Apple decided to build a shit-ton up-front during a pandemic, it doesn't seem like demand is overwhelming...
Fucking Apple. My 16" isn't slated to ship until early Dec all cause I wanted an extra 16GB of RAM :roll:

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:12 am

That's pretty funny - "Fucking Apple!" is one of the most common exclamations I hear during daily dev meetings.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:43 am

Now that my Mac and iPad are both new enough, I can use the iPad as an extended display for the Macbook. It works pretty well, but the additional screen real estate contributed by a non-Pro iPad isn't as much as you might imagine.

It will be great for parking one window that I need to see full-time while I work with everything else on the notebook display. I haven't tried pressure input via the iPad using Apple Pencil - if that works, I think switching from extending the desktop to screen mirroring would let me use the iPad+Apple Pencil like a wireless Wacom tablet. Not sure it's practical/useful, even if it works...